Looking for Upgrade Advice

• Thanks so much in advance for stopping in - I really appreciate it.

I am currently running v4 on a rack-mounted server that I got from a previous job. Besides using it as a file share for movies, shows, etc I am running several dockers (downloaders, plex, pi-hole, transmission/openvpn, etc) and a virtualbox server. I am not currently exposing anything outside of my network - I did try to get letsencrypt working but was not able to (I am hoping it was an issue with the version now that I solved a double nat issue).

Anyway, I have a free day tomorrow so I am considering upgrading to 5. I've watched the videos and read various threads. I know that virtualbox isn't supported - I can offload that windows pc onto something else. My biggest concern is having to rebuild the docker containers. I understand that docker is different in omv 5 - exactly how easy is it to bring them up in portainer? I see a lot of people asking that question but I haven't found a good answer.

A little more background. I am a software dev during the day and I am just dangerous enough to follow guides on how to do most things in linux. I've been meaning to spend a day learning how to create docker containers by hand but I haven't (yet) gotten around to it. Should I bother with the upgrade to 5? Should I wait for 6?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to upgrade to 5 to get to 6 (unless you do a fresh install of 6). The kvm plugin is available on 5 and 6 and can convert virtual box disks to kvm. The are plenty of guides about using portainer especially stacks (docker-compose) which is much better than the omv 4 plugin once you understand it. It is worth the time to upgrade since 4 is long EOL'd.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You have to upgrade to 5 to get to 6 (unless you do a fresh install of 6). The kvm plugin is available on 5 and 6 and can convert virtual box disks to kvm. The are plenty of guides about using portainer especially stacks (docker-compose) which is much better than the omv 4 plugin once you understand it. It is worth the time to upgrade since 4 is long EOL'd.

Oh, right - I knew that I couldn't go from 4 to 6. I meant to say that maybe on some other rainy day I'd just do a fresh install.

How difficult is it to make the docker containers work in 5?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How difficult is it to make the docker containers work in 5?

There is nothing different with docker between 4 and 5. The web interface to view them and create them is different. If you upgrade, the containers should still work and will just show up in portainer.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There is nothing different with docker between 4 and 5. The web interface to view them and create them is different. If you upgrade, the containers should still work and will just show up in portainer.

Ah, great - so when I install the portainer plugin my containers should just show up?

• The conainers will show up, bit you can not manage them from portainer, as they are created outside portianer. You will have to continue to do it like you are doing it now.

How is this? docker-compose or docker commands on the cli?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• muchgooder

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!