Email notification question

• Hi Folks,

I'm relatively new to OMV5 and I can't get the email notifications to work.

Is there a thread that explains it in COMPLETE detail for the person that has absolutely no knowledge in such things? Keep in mind that many of you understand the jargon, I have no clue what SMTP is? You all are very knowledgeable in such things. I have none. An explanation that seems simple to you is like Greek to me, so be very detailed.

Thanks

Bart

• Gmail is my email provider.

Regarding the link that you have provided:

That’s a perfect example of what I mean about not having the level of knowledge that you all have. There is not enough information in that link example for the new user. What is sender email? Does that mean I use a personal gmail address? What username do I use? What app and what password?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is sender email?

That is the email that shall appear as sender of the notification mail.

What username do I use?

That is the username to login at gmail. In the case of gmail this is also an email address.

What app and what password?

You need a so called app password from gmail if you have enabled two factor authentication.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en

This allows the email agent that OMV uses to login to gmail and send your email without a second factor.

If you have not enabled two factor authentication (or disabled it) you can use your "normal" password to log into gmail.

• It has to be the same address or google will not let you send it.

All it does is to simulate you as a user sending an EMail, so that is what you have to configure.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Related problem with Gmail account use for notifications. I have to have 2FA switched on, but now Gmail block outgoing messages because you can't have both 2FA and 'less for secure applications' enabled at the same time.....

• Related problem with Gmail account use for notifications. I have to have 2FA switched on, but now Gmail block outgoing messages because you can't have both 2FA and 'less for secure applications' enabled at the same time.....

Dies this help: https://stackoverflow.com/ques…ntication-is-on-for-gmail

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• No, because if I turn off 2FA I can't access Gmail via other devices I use......

I might have to try setting up a different Gmail address just for server messages and turn off what I can. There seems to be steps in place by Google to block non-secure e-mails from May 2022, so feels like something that needs to be addressed in OMV. I don't know if it's possible to setup a mail service on the server itself that will just forward messages to another account e.g. Gmail or Hotmail?

• You shouldn't turn off 2fa, but create a token as described in the solution.

• This is what I get when I try to send a test mail

• You are not even getting to google. Your mail service is not runing. try to restart it.

• hi, i'm facing the same problem.

two NAS one with omv5 and another with omv6

the first one send me regular emails

omv6 in the first sent me... after an update of the kernel.. not anymore..

i'm just format... but another one in VM share the same problem

• So postfix does not seem to be running. it needs to enabled and started.

Code
    sudo systemctl enable postfix
    sudo systemctl start postfix
    sudo systemctl status postfix

• Hiya

OK, I've run those commands and get the following:

Code
    ● postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/postfix.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
       Active: active (exited) since Mon 2022-02-28 08:07:39 GMT; 11min ago
     Main PID: 1356 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        Tasks: 0 (limit: 4915)
       Memory: 0B
       CGroup: /system.slice/postfix.service

Feb 28 08:07:39 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
    Feb 28 08:07:39 openmediavault systemd[1]: Started Postfix Mail Transport Agent.

But when I look in my sys log I get this lot:

Does that help at all? Thanks for offering support on this!

Adrian

• postfix still fails:

Code
    Feb 28 08:18:54 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent (instance -)...
    Feb 28 08:18:54 openmediavault postmulti[7090]: postsuper: fatal: scan_dir_push: open directory defer: Permission denied
    Feb 28 08:18:54 openmediavault postfix/postsuper[7137]: fatal: scan_dir_push: open directory defer: Permission denied
    Feb 28 08:18:55 openmediavault postfix/postfix-script[7143]: fatal: Postfix integrity check failed!
    Feb 28 08:18:56 openmediavault systemd[1]: postfix@-.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Feb 28 08:18:56 openmediavault systemd[1]: postfix@-.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Feb 28 08:18:56 openmediavault systemd[1]: Failed to start Postfix Mail Transport Agent (instance -).

Please post output of ls -la /var/spool/

One option would be sudo postifx set-permissions, but this is the big hammer.

• Hiya

Output below:

Code
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x  7 root    root  160 Jun  8  2020 .
    drwxr-xr-x 13 root    root 4096 Jun  8  2020 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root  100 Jun  8  2020 anacron
    drwxr-xr-x  3 root    root   60 Jun  8  2020 cron
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root    root    7 Jun  8  2020 mail -> ../mail
    drw-r--r-- 20 postfix root  400 Aug  1  2020 postfix
    drwx------  2 root    root   40 Feb 26  2019 rsyslog
    drwxrwxrwt  2 root    root   40 Sep  2  2019 samba

Let me know if that helps and if the big hammer needs to be deployed!

• Not what I expected. Need ls -l /var/spool/postfix and cat /var/log/mail.err too.

• Here you go:

not sure what to do with the 2nd one? If I try and copy/paste in putty it just throws an error saying postfix/postsuper[7137]: fatal: scan_dir_push: op en directory defer: Permission denied

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!