AFP on OMV 6

• Sorry if that's already been covered but is there any way to install AFP apple filing protocol on OMV6 or is it definitely dead?

Thanks in advance!

Zippi

• I use it always:

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.4-2 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.5 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• Any particular reason for using AFP? Even Apple recommends SMB...

For me it is way faster than SMB in combination with my setups (helios64 and HC1), especially when it comes to transfer a lot of small files.
    There are several threads here on how to adjust the SMB settings accordingly but I always got back to AFP for getting more speed. But, of course, it might be completely different on your setup so I think everyone has to do a little bit of trial and error in order find the right protocol.

• OK, I see. It's good to know that there are still use cases for AFP. I have had both AFP and SMB running side by side for some time now, but it caused some confusion because the shares had identical names (because they are sharing identical directories on the server) so I figured I should either rename them or at least only mount AFP on my macs. Then I read about SMB being faster etc, so I thought perhaps I should get rid of it alltogether. Hence my question.

I haven't gotten Spotlight to reliably index those SMB shares, which might actually have been the reason why I added AFP at some point. But since indexing still seems to fail, I guess it didnt help...

• Objectively AFP is much faster and much more reliable.

Since I switched to SMB I faced many issues which never happened with AFP.

I don't understand why the module was remove, it should be available at least in OMV extra.

Not to mention the OMV AFP module was very convenient to setup shared folders.

OMV 6.x | Intel Celeron J3455 | 16Go RAM | USB2 32Go | HDD 3x4TO

• Offizieller Beitrag

Objectively AFP is much faster and much more reliable.

Since I switched to SMB I faced many issues which never happened with AFP.

I don't understand why the module was remove, it should be available at least in OMV extra.

Not to mention the OMV AFP module was very convenient to setup shared folders.

The problem is that Debian does not package netatalk anymore, e.g. there is no package available in Debian 12 Bookworm anymore. This means the project or anyone else must do the package management as well beside the plugin maintenance. This is not, at least, what the OMV core project is doing. I wasted too much time in package management when i was developing FreeNAS. OMV relies on packages shipped by Debian to minimize this part of the development.

• Offizieller Beitrag

it should be available at least in OMV extra.

I don't want to maintain it. I didn't use afp even when I had a mac running macos.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

In September 2021, Apple has been moving away from the AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) in favor of SMB (Server Message Block) as the primary file sharing protocol for its macOS and iOS devices. SMB is a more widely adopted and standardized protocol for sharing files and resources across a network. It offers better compatibility with non-Apple systems and is generally more robust and efficient.

• Ok that's legit.

Don't bother spending time on a deprecated feature.

That was a "nice to have" request but if AFP module is no more available I'm OK with that.

Moreover I recenty tuned up the SMB service using this post and it seems to be slightly better:

Open Media Vault SMB performance quick win
    A quick performance win on transferring large files with Samba. Even if you use Open Media Vault or not, this might help you. Give it a shot! Here's what to
    techie-show.com

OMV 6.x | Intel Celeron J3455 | 16Go RAM | USB2 32Go | HDD 3x4TO

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Olivier ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!