What does that anacron error message "no space left on device" mean

• Hi,

since a couple of weeks i receive weekly error messages from anacron via email. But i did't understand where that error message is from, and how to handle it.

Code
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-cron-apt:
    cat: write error: No space left on device

/usr/sbin/cron-apt: 119: printf: printf: I/O error
    fold: write error: No space left on device
    sendmail: fatal: root(0): No recipient addresses found in message header

I have enough space left on my raspberry. I even could not remember that i set up such a job. Checking my configuration in webgui of omv I could not found such menu.

So I would be happy if you can give me a hint, what to do with that error email.

Greets

• Please run df -h as root user and post the output here.

Seems that /var/log is 100 % in use. Which is weired because ls -h shows me that only 29 MB of are used in that directory.

• Seems that /var/log is 100 % in use.

On the services flash memory GUI, click sync all and see if it clears

• I have the same problem, but even after the sync, I still get:

Code
    Filesystem                                 Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    folder2ram                                 8.3G  8.3G     0 100% /var/log

When I click "sync all", it claims to sync /var/log:

Code
    will now sync all mountpoints
    sync of /var/log successful!
    sync of /var/tmp successful!
    sync of /var/lib/openmediavault/rrd successful!
    sync of /var/spool successful!
    sync of /var/lib/rrdcached successful!
    sync of /var/lib/monit successful!
    sync of /var/cache/samba successful!

Why is the ram disk still full?

And anyway, regularly syncing manually is not a real solution IMO... Isn't there a way to make sure that the ram disk is synced reguarly?

• Here's the content of /var/log:

syslog and daemon.log contain a lot of entries from backup jobs (USBbackup apparently enumerates every single file).

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can delete the *.gz and *.log.1 files. Those are rotated files and less important than the current ones, which I would not delete.

Do you run the USBBackup plugin frequently, or was this an exceptional case?

• You guessed right, it was an initial run (after OMV reinstallation). Thanks for this! I run it manually, about once per month, so it shouldn't be a permanent problem.

However, I'm still wondering why the ramdisk is still full after syncing, and what I can do to ensure that the ramdisk is synced (and purged) more frequently and regularly. Any hints?

• Offizieller Beitrag

A sync is just syncing the content on the filesystem with the content in RAM. After you deleted files on the filesystem, it might not be reflected in the ram and a sync will take care of this. But I am not sure about it. Try.

If you are worried, you can run the sync as scheduled job.

folder2ram -syncall

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!