Overkill hardware - How much is really needed for omv ?

• Thanks for the reply. If I'm selling it, I might replace it with that old PC I'm talking about in the OP. But how do I install OMV if I have just enough SATA ports for my data drives? I don't have a M.2 slot (it's a socket 775) and I don't think installing to a USB flash drive would be a good idea. Plus, writing the OP made me realize it's the amount of RAM that bugs me more than anything else.

Problem is I rarely earned much from selling PCs I put together myself. Is there a website to estimate the value of a PC?

Thanks again.

Why do you think installing OMV on a USB flash drive is not a good idea?

OMV is linux based...just like VMware...and the majority of these are installed on flash drives. I am currently running 2 separate instances of OMV6 from flash drives with no issues on Dell poweredge 2950 and poweredge 710

• If you have a PCIe slot you can add a PCIe to SATA hard drive adapter.

Just be sure to check your motherboards PCIe version.

Some x1 PCIe ones will only give you 250MB/s per lane (x1) 250MB/s.)

If you do a search for PCIe SATA adapters they have some that are up to 10 SATA headers,

but be aware they are not RAID devices. You will see some x1,x4,x8,16 cards as well, just know what version of PCIe slot your board has

Version 1.0, 2.0, 3.2, 4.0 and so on, they are backward compatible, that is you can put a x1 PCIe card in a x8 slot but it will still only have one lane of band width.

Where as you can't put a x4 card in a x1 slot.

• I just brought up OMV6 on an old HP Microserver N40L this last weekend. Had some minor issues but worked through them (thanks partly to moderator macom).

It would be a severely under powered CPU in any other context.

PassMark - AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core - Price performance comparison

About the same as an Intel Celeron N3010

I have 16GB of ECC (yes, ECC!) RAM installed (new, not used) that I got off a vendor on EBay for under $30. (ATech)

I have a Kingston 480GB SSD as the system disk and an 8TB IronWolf NAS drive for my volume store.

So far, it seems to run just fine. If I actually run into problems, I'll echo that back here, but so far, its SAMBA speeds are completely livable.

Here is the link to the DDR in case anyone else out there with an HP N40L wants a reference to 16GB sticks that work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224440204415

OMV 6.x AMD64, HP Microserver N40L, 16GB ECC DDR, 8TB Ironwolf HDD, 480 GB Kingston SSD.

OMVExtras.org: Resetperms, Sharerootfs

SMB, SSH, WeTTY, Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.1.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!