Bad - Device is being used outside design parameters

• Hi,

I rebuilt my old system which had a bad OS drive. I replaced the OS drive with a SSD drive (salvaged from a laptop). Got OMV 6.x up and running - reconfigured to get all my data back online.

Given that I am using SSD, I also installed Flashmemory plugin and have been running it for a couple of days now.

System had been working great for me for a week now.

And then last night this happened (please see the screenshots).

What is "Device is being used outside design parameters"? Temperature looks ok to me. What other parameters are there - I don't remember having set any myself.

The system is otherwise running Ok - even a shutdown and restart got the system back up but the error still persists.

Is this something Disaster waiting to happen?

I have been burnt before dealing with the OS drive issue. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

• Are you using the SSD on a USB port?

• Thanks Guys for prompt responses,

I am Attaching multiple screenshots - Not sure how to generate a single page report or file.

Again Thanks a bunch in advance for all your help.

UPDATED - Added more screenshots that might give better insights. Once again, thanks a bunch forall your help.

• I had an SMART error and my dashboard status was like that on a SAMSUNG EVO840. I tested the drive outside of the machine and everything was fine. It could be an issue with that type of drive reporting as I figured that was the issue with mine. It lasted over a year in that configuration and now the drive is the system drive in another machine. If you can test it outside your current setup it will give you some peace that it is fine. If not then replacing the drive is the only option or use it until it fails. From my experience it did not do or lose any performance and is still working today.

OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

Services: MiniDLNA | File Server (streaming and file transfers that's it.)
    System: HP Pavillion 595 | I7-8700 ( 2 vCores) | 2.1 GB Ram | 32GB VM Sys Drv | 5TB USB Media Drive | Jan 24'

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ED-209 ()

• I had an SMART error and my dashboard status was like that on a SAMSUNG EVO840. I tested the drive outside of the machine and everything was fine. It could be an issue with that type of drive reporting as I figured that was the issue with mine. It lasted over a year in that configuration and now the drive is the system drive in another machine. If you can test it outside your current setup it will give you some peace that it is fine. If not then replacing the drive is the only option or use it until it fails. From my experience it did not do or mean much for performance and is still working today.

Having burnt by an OS drive failure I am leery of such warnings.

Two quick questions -
    1. If I need to test it outside of the system - would that mean having to reinstall the system when done with the testing?

2. If so then, how do I go about restoring the system? Is it as simple as keeping a copy of current /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and restoring that file after a new installation?

Also, If I decide to reinstall on a newer drive instead will #2 (copy and restore) through /etc/openmediavault/config.xml works fine?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just install a new one on another drive and copy current /etc/openmediavault/config.xml onto the new drive?

Unfortunately this does not work. If you go for a fresh install, you have to setup the configuration manually from scratch. You can use screenshots from the GUI and config.xml as reference to read in it.

I would clone the drive and hope that nothing important was on the sector.

I guess you don't have a backup of the OS, that might help.

• Unfortunately this does not work. If you go for a fresh install, you have to setup the configuration manually from scratch. You can use screenshots from the GUI and config.xml as reference to read in it.

I would clone the drive and hope that nothing important was on the sector.

I guess you don't have a backup of the OS, that might help.

This is a new just a week-old install for my old OMV3.x i.e., all data drives are from the old system.

Since I was burnt for not having a backup of the OS in the previous instance, I have been searching for proper way to create backup of the OS drive for last few days. But I haven't found any documentation or guides on how to create a OS backup.

Can you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To get an accurate interpretation of the following, you'll have to visit the -> Samsung site.

The following jumps out to me.

175 Program Fail Count
    The number of times when write to a flash memory failed. The write process is technically called "programming the flash memory", hence the attribute name. When the flash memory is worn out, it cannot be written to any longer and becomes read-only. The Raw value shows the actual number of failures.

181 Program Fail Count
    The number of times when write to a flash memory failed. The write process is technically called "programming the flash memory", hence the attribute name. When the flash memory is worn out, it cannot be written to any longer and becomes read-only. The Raw value shows the actual number of failures.

187 Reported Uncorrectable Errors
    The number of UNC errors, i.e. read errors which Error Correction Code (ECC) failed to recover.

233 Media Wearout Indicator
    Remaining flash memory life (on an SSD).
    _____________________________________________________________________________

I'm not sure what you're doing on your boot drive, but you'd be spared this kind of drama if you boot with a Thumbdrive. They're cheap and dirt easy to -> clone. With a known working boot drive backup, if a thumbdrive fails, you'd be backup in a matter of minutes.

• thanks for these insights. I was thinking that SSD was a better option since my original mechanical hard drive had failed. I also thought SSD were far more durable than the Thumbdrives (I assume you mean USB Thumbdrives).

But if you say that using USB thumbdrives is a better option then I will look into it and go that route.

I read your provided link about cloning the thumbdrive. One additional question - do I need to periodically, keep cloning the OS thumbdrive? Basically, are there frequent changes that take place on the OS Thumbdrive that necessitates me to have a regular backup of that thumbdrive? TIA.

• High quality USB thumbdrives are fine. My OMV runs from a PNY 16GB USB 3.0 thumbdrive. It has a few years on it without any problems. I have used 16GB Samsung 2.5in SSDs for even longer in the past, all without any problems.

My OMV system drive is backed up nightly using dd to an image file. I keep the seven most recent copies.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

One additional question - do I need to periodically, keep cloning the OS thumbdrive?

There's guidance about this, if you read from the section from the beginning -> OS Backup.

But if you say that using USB thumbdrives is a better option then I will look into it and go that route.

Thumbdrives are not "better" than an SSD, but they are far cheaper. With ports on the outside of a PC case, they're very easy to access - plug and play. Using a workstation and USBImager, again, they're very easy to clone. I have a spare, ready to go, on top of my server's case.

I had one USB thumbdrive fail, after over 5 years of use (probably more - I can't remember exactly when I started using it). The drive went read only. I shut down, swapped out the drive and was back up in a few minutes.

• I would also check out your USB adapter is your using a USB to SATA.

I have 2 of them, great for wiping, formatting transferring drives, but of the 2 of them, and they look almost identical,

1 transfers much faster than the other, and sometimes gives issue reading or writing, so it went into the trash.

One other note, the fastest transfers I seen for me, besides and NVMe in slot, is an M.2 SSD on a SATA adapter, and PCIe adapter.

Actually what I boot my TrueNAS server on.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!