prevent btrfs scrub from running at a certain time

• I know i can change the btrfs scrub schedule from monthly to weekly. However i need something different: to absolutely make sure that there is no operation running on saturday mornings, as interferes with my regular VM backup and makes OMV crash. how can i achieve this?

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you look at the change log, it tells you how to do this - https://github.com/openmediava…840ac8b6344489c155a4e5440

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• votdev

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • votdev

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • somehow i ignored this problem hoping that the scrub times wont interfere with the scheduled backups, now getting back to this.

how to i set the schudule in OMV for the scrub to run once per month on mondays at 01:00? choosing monthly does not allow me to set specific days or hours.

choosing "Certain day" i don't know what to enter. i could enter to run in on every 15th of the month, but i want to force it to a specific day of the week and not day of the month

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID

Powered by Proxmox VE

• *IF* you issue a CANCEL then after Saturday morning you issue a RESUME, would this affect the scrub operation if the data changed? I don't use BTRFS but, maybe let the caller clear a window instead of the callee. I dunno, maybe create a script with btrfs scrub cancel /a/b/c .../n... btrfs scrub resume /a/b/c then run that before backing up.

EDIT: never mind, I should read, put the command in a script (or not) and then (I don't see how to do it in the GUI):

Code
    00 1 1-7 * *    root    [ `/bin/date +\%u` -eq 1 ] && /home/$USER/scrub.bash

Got that from here: https://superuser.com/question…rst-monday-of-every-month

• this btrfs scrub thing is driving me crazy. scrubbing a single drive takes around 8-12 hours depending on size and filled space. i have 6 of them. when scrubbing is ongoing drive read speeds drop below 10 MB/s. when at the same time a torrent client is trying to download with 20-30 MB/s my system is pretty much useless for 2-3 days even for the most basic tasks.

i think no amount of scheduling magic can solve this, the best solution would be to do some partial scrubs, like scrub each day for one our until the disk is finished then move on to the next disk. but of course, disk content is changing, maybe this could render the whole scrubbing process useless...

Powered by Proxmox VE

• You can pause any modern torrent client via it's CLI or using curl/wget/etc.

With qbittorent it would be something like this, although I don't know the pause syntax (RTFM'n it)

Code
    sid=$(curl -v -d "username=${username}&password=${password}" -X POST $ip_and_port/api/v2/auth/login 2>&1 | grep -o -P '(?<=SID=)[^;]*');

curl -v -H "Cookie: SID=$sid" -H 'User-Agent: whatever' "${links[@]}" $ip_and_port/api/v2/torrents/add;

You'll replace this: ${links[@]}" $ip_and_port/api/v2/torrents/add;

... with whatever the pause/resume syntax (assuming you're using http to communicate).

You've seemed to completely ignore my suggestion about scrub cancel/resume, so I assume you didn't try :-/

• Offizieller Beitrag

btrfsmaintenance has an option to set the priority of IO. You could install it and disable the scrub jobs from OMV

Code
    ## Path:        System/File systems/btrfs
    ## Type:        string(idle,normal)
    ## Default:     "idle"
    #
    # Priority of IO at which the scrub process will run. Idle should not degrade
    # performance but may take longer to finish.
    BTRFS_SCRUB_PRIORITY="idle"

and

• what values should i set for OMV_BTRFS_SCRUB_PRIORITY? i understand from this https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/ionice.1.html, that the value i should be setting should be -c 3 however its not clear to me how the env value translates to the scrub command.

also, are there any plans to migrate the environment variables to a config file or something? i hate them so much it made me google this article https://medium.com/israeli-tec…ver-env-vars-d9189d53c4b8 which articulates in a nice way what i cannot due to how much i hate them