Does OMV support LSI SAS Cards with Snapraid and MergeFS?

• Hello, the motherboard I am currently using is ASUS

My 6 sata partitions on the PRIME B365M-K motherboard are full. I am using this build with SnapRaid and MergeFS. Now I also have 2 Pcie 3.0 X1s on the motherboard to install disks. If I buy LSI-9240-8i or LSI 9211-4i HBA Sas Expansion Card from the products I shared in the link, can I use OMV 6 and SnapRaid MergeFs duo without any problems? Is there anyone who has set up this type of setup and run it smoothly?

LSI 9211-4i

LSI-9240-8i

https://l24.im/if4Lg

thankyou for support.

• You won't have any problems with SnapRAID and Mergerfs with a SAS card.

I can't say anything about the cards you are considering and the available PCI slots you have available on your motherboard. I would use the LSI 9240-8i card if you have a slot for it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• If you use SATA disks only, and don't care about HW RAID capabilities, there are cheap SATA/M.2 PCIe expansion cards from various European companies, like Axagon (www.axagon.eu). I have a few of their cards, and they all work well with no issues.

PCES-SA6 (6x SATA)

PCES-SA4X4 (4x SATA)

PCES-SA4M2 (2x SATA + 2xM.2 SATA)

PCEM2-ND (2xM.2 NVMe)

Granted, there are no 8-port versions like in your case.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

• Thank you for sharing. However, I have a PCIe Express 3.0 X1 slot. The one with 4 ports is more than enough for me. But how can I plug it in? And Openmediavault works for sure, right?

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And Openmediavault works for sure, right?

If it works with Debian it should also work with OMV.

There are sites on the internet where you can check hardware compatibility with Linux.

• Can't say anything about ASM1064 chip, but ASM1062 works fine in one of my machines (two controllers) under OMV 6.4.3-1.

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

• Granted, there are no 8-port versions

That's what I'm looking for but can't find, a 8.

I'm thinking about replacing or trying to replace a LSI 9300-16i with 3 of the 6 port M.2. SATA breakouts inserted into a PCIe x16 -> 4x M.2 headers. _IF_ they're stable, they'll almost certainly be cooler than the 9300-16i. From all information I can find, it appears that the 9300-16i runs as hot as the newer 9600 24gb series. So if someone does buy a SAS HBA, I do not suggest the LSI 9300-16i due to the unusually high temperature resulting from 2 onboard controllers (this makes sense, but I didn't know that when I bought it :-/).

• Thank you for sharing. However, I have a PCIe Express 3.0 X1 slot. The one with 4 ports is more than enough for me. But how can I plug it in? And Openmediavault works for sure, right?

Thank you.

Usually those things are for raid. If you are trying to "pass thru" the disks and let something else handle it then you may need to flash into IT mode. Hopefully you bought one that is already in IT mode(if you have other software to do the raid). I don't think OMV will care... it's Debian. As long as the card is recognized as existing on the pci bus... you can make it work. For instance... I have a nvme sata card; doesn't show up in the BIOS at all... but it exists and I'm running omv on it as I write. Personally I prefer SAS, but it is more expensive.

• I had a LSI 9240-4i in use some years ago (RAID5-config). OMV is recognising the hardware-RAID as one disk. You have to install the controllers software to maintain the disks and read f.e. smart values of them. smartctl is not working on hw-raid-controllers, as far as i know (didn't made it work; maybe put in your own script for reading -> storcli)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!