I think my nas is infected with a cryptocurrency virus

• Why are you sure it was containers in portainer (Your response to votdev made it seem like that's what you suspected)... so you were asked which one, and you provided a list of containers. That's what he meant about providing a list not being helpful, as he was under the impression (as was I) that you suspected a docker container caused this, but didn't bother telling us which one.

I think there's a language barrier/misunderstanding here.

I never said I was sure the containers were to blame. I'm not sure who's responsible

• Can you show the compose text for each container? Im really curious as how this this happened and which container is the problem (if any)

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm about to hit the sack... But one thing I'm seeing is he has a duckdns container to update the IP of his duckdns domain... But I don't see swag or any other reverse proxy containers.

OP.. did you pull certs to secure you services? (ie, padlock by your domain)?.. or did you just start opening ports to these services in your router and point them at your server?

• Jdownloader and Homarr are ran with no PUID which is the same as run with root.

And homarr has RW access to docker.sock.

If it's similar to Heimdall and no login/password was created, you found your hole.

Enough said...

• Jdownloader and Homarr are ran with no PUID which is the same as run with root.

And homarr has RW access to docker.sock.

If it's similar to Heimdall and no login/password was created, you found your hole.

This

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Delete HOMARR container was the frist thing I did

OP, can you show us any ports you have forwarded in your router, to your server?

port 80 only

The fact that you delete it doesn't mean you get rid of any harm already on the server.

Be it a mining script, a ransonware, a malware, etc... Once installed, it will replicate itself.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust a system like that anymore.

port 80 only

That port is internet insecure.

To have WAN access to the services, you need https that runs on port 443.

Like KM0201 Said, it looks that you just opened your server to the outside world without securing it with a proper certificate via reverse proxy. Be it SWAG, Traefik, NPM, whatever....

• I'm wondering if this is a result of users (unprivileged) being put in the docker group. It's been demonstrated on this forum why this is a bad idea, but I know many of the tutorials say to create a docker user and put said user in the docker group... Read posts 94-101 below. Zoki demonstrated to me how he could delete my root partition with an unprivileged user who was in the docker group. Note to anyone who wants to try this: It absolutely works. Do not do this on a running system or you will wreck your OS drive. I done this on a VM.

I would assume by the same token, you could execute malicious code in the same way.

Interesting. All the more reason why my refusal to blindly follow a guide that is posted so that everyone ends up with the exact same docker user name, makes more and more sense.

port 80 only

As Soma said port 80 is not secure with ssl encryption, so it's possible for someone to intercept traffic on that port and see everything you are doing clearly such as typing user names and passwords. All internet traffic should be redirected to an ssl encrypted port 443 via a reverse proxy using lets encrypt or some other certificate provider.

So what does port 80 forward to? Your release of information when asking for help is very slow.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well I would say that pretty well confirms where this likely started.

Step 1. Close port 80.

Step 2. Reinstall. Sorry, I wouldn't suggest trying to fix this as there is no way of knowing if this is the only compromise, or just the first you noticed

Step 3. Learn to set up a reverse proxy and properly pull certs so your domain is secured for outside access.

You got a lot of reading ahead of you

• Are you joking me?

Nope, I'm not joking.

You asked for help but didn't give any information. When asked why you thought it was docker related and to point to the docker you suspected you showed a list of 10 or more dockers with no information and no direction of what one you suspected and why. When asked what you have open to the internet you said only port 80 and no explanation about how it is configured, where is it forwarded to/what are you accessing through it, etc.

When asking for help, releasing pertinent information is needed. If the problem is related to internet things (security, getting hacked, dns errors, etc.) releasing the basic information about how you are configured initially will help people spot problems quicker because they won't have to ask for the basic information so they can decide what direction the questions need to go in.

Asking for help with no information will slow down the process. Something that could be spotted and fixed in a day can now take several days, all the while, the security hole that may have been used to hack into your system is still open all because that basic information is not being released.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm wondering if this is a result of users (unprivileged) being put in the docker group. It's been demonstrated on this forum why this is a bad idea, but I know many of the tutorials say to create a docker user and put said user in the docker group... Read posts 94-101 below. Zoki demonstrated to me how he could delete my root partition with an unprivileged user who was in the docker group. Note to anyone who wants to try this: It absolutely works. Do not do this on a running system or you will wreck your OS drive. I done this on a VM.

Thank you. I did not know that. For some reason I had that configuration in the document: "Docker in OMV" for two years. I guess at the time it was necessary for some reason, possibly related to docker permissions. I've been testing on a vm and it seems that that user no longer needs to be in the docker group, the compose plugin may have helped with that somehow, so I removed that part of the document.

Zoki was a crack, it's a shame he's no longer here.

All the more reason why my refusal to blindly follow a guide that is posted so that everyone ends up with the exact same docker user name, makes more and more sense.

Well, I guess we agree that the documents are necessary, otherwise we would have the forum filled with the same questions every day. A while ago I read some similar comments regarding folder and user names. I agree with that reasoning. In the document "Docker in OMV" I added the tag "(or whatever you want to call it)" to each folder/user name some time ago. I can't think of a better way to do it. If you have a better idea...

• I have given you all the information I have to the best of my knowledge.

I have to improve? Of course yes but if I had been better I probably wouldn't have needed help.

I also have a life (that doesn't revolve around my home server) that keeps me very busy so I don't understand why you respond to me this way. If you don't want or don't know how to help me then I still thank you and say goodbye

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have to improve? Of course yes but if I had been better I probably wouldn't have needed help.

If you are installing from scratch maybe this will be useful for you. It includes an NPM container already configured and other containers that may be useful to you.

• I have given you all the information I have to the best of my knowledge.

I also have a life (that doesn't revolve around my home server) that keeps me very busy so I don't understand why you respond to me this way. If you don't want or don't know how to help me then I still thank you and say goodbye

I responded in the hope that it would help you realize that providing the pertinent/correct information is important when asking for help. It also helps people get an idea of the level of understanding that you have and then responses can be structured in a way that is the most helpful to you.

I’m not trying to be inconsiderate or mean. My first response to you about changing passwords and then confirming soma’s point about security were both meant to be helpful, but without more information there was little more that could be said at the time.

We all have lives beside dealing with our systems but it doesn’t mean we can’t release the information that is required.

I’m sorry if I have “ruffled your feathers”. That is not the intent. Remember email and posts on forums lack the personal interaction cues that an in person conversation has.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you. I did not know that. For some reason I had that configuration in the document: "Docker in OMV" for two years. I guess at the time it was necessary for some reason, possibly related to docker permissions. I've been testing on a vm and it seems that that user no longer needs to be in the docker group, the compose plugin may have helped with that somehow, so I removed that part of the document.

Zoki was a crack, it's a shame he's no longer here

it has nothing to do with the compose plugin (that thread is over a year old). The only thing the docker group allowed a user to do that as was handy, was start /stop/install containers with docker run or docker compose, and not be root while doing it.

It was handy, but honestly from a security standpoint it was a bad idea.

• Offizieller Beitrag

it has nothing to do with the compose plugin (that thread is over a year old). The only thing the docker group allowed a user to do that as was handy, was start /stop/install containers with docker run or docker compose, and not be root while doing it.

It was handy, but honestly from a security standpoint it was a bad idea.

True, two years ago it was a widespread custom on the forum and it was a bad idea, no matter who it was. Nobody knew at that time what Zoki said a year later.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!