Can't reach SMB server on MacOS

• In January I reinstalled OMV and the newest 7.0 Version was installed, unintentionally.

After that I can't reach the SMB server and shares on MacOS

Shared folder:

Permissions:

SMB Service:

Share:

And every time if I try to connect to this share that comes:

Could anybody give a hint what I am missing?

Thank you!

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Some hints:

- don't use ACLs - just posix permissions

- I use SMB Server & Share config w/o inheriting anything but w some extended options - and its working perfect (at least on omv6)

- search for "fruit" parameters and macOS access through smb in this forum

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• Teschbert thank you for the hints. Tried all what you mentioned, nothing helped. Even the start from scratch approach.

I don’t know what gone wrong. Under OMV 6.X every SMB share was buttersmooth. With 7.X won’t work.

Maybe I am going to try to downgrade the system, but rn too lazy for that unneccessary setupping and so on.

One interesting tidbit tough: this share what I tried to use under SMB works seamlessly with Plex and MiniDLNA. I just don’t get it what happens between SMB server and MacOS

• hmmm - sorry, but I'm not expert enough to help further.

I just can say that I saw your error message too when leaving out the parameter

Code
    fruit:nfs_aces = yes

for the smb-server

and

Code
    vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
    fruit:encoding = private
    fruit:metadata = stream
    fruit:resource = xattr

for each smb-share.

I'm connecting omv-shares via smb from macOS Sonoma w/o any problems.

The ip-address you checked? Same network?

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• Thank you again, mate!
    Unfortunately nothing worked what you suggested...

So yesterday and today I reinstalled the system with OMV6.X (with many crashes, I don't know why, so I had to start agaian around 3-4 times; after installing some plugins the crasches occurred, interesting and nerving, but right now it seems OK)

And 5 minutes ago I tried the famous SMB shares...

Annnnnd: they work as intended, only inherit permissions and the neccessary few steps were setup and for the 1st try MacOS recognized it and so on.

At MacOS didn't change anything, but what was then with the OMV 7.X? Who knows...

Anyway! Thank you very much again for your time and efforts!

Cheers!

• Offizieller Beitrag

after installing some plugins the crasches occurred

What type of errors? Many plugins throw an error right after installing them that only require clearing the browser cache, this is inevitable. Solutions to common problems

• There was no problem description, but after reset the RPI couldn't reach the given IP at all.

Maybe the cache clearing could have helped. I keep it in mind! ;)
    Because everytime it happened I started from scratch reinstalling the system :)

Thank you!

• Hi Benhamin,

I have exactly the same problem. I thought that it might be something I was overlooking until I saw your post. Everything was working fine on OMV6. I am now running OMV7 on a RPi5 and cannot see my shares on my network on my Mac (not checked on a Windows PC yet, but will do). Everything else appears to be working fine though.

If you find a solution let me know and I'll do likewise.

• I set up an OMV 7 system for my buddy and have no problems connecting to samba shares from his mac running sonoma. When I get home I will remote into his system (yes he lets me have vpn access to his system) and gather the samba settings I am using and post back here.

• Here are the setting I am using. The server min protocol can be adjusted as required. I used NT1 for maximum OS compatability in case he tries to connect with any other OS. I also set the masks in the share extra options for maximum compatability, but this can be tailired to your like. Some of these settings are also in the OMV environment variables, but these should override those settings. I have not done a comparison on the environment variables to remove duplication ot to adjust them so some of these can be removed. Feel free to do that yourself if you wish.

Services > SMB/CIFS > Settings

browsable

use sendfile

Asynchronous I/O

Extra Options:

client min protocol = NT1

client plaintext auth = yes

dead time = 15

getwd cache = yes

local master = yes

max xmit = 65535

min receivefile size = 16384

ntlm auth=yes

null passwords = yes

preferred master = yes

read raw = yes

server min protocol = NT1

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

write raw = yes

Services > SMB/CIFS > Shares (these are set on a per share basis)

browsable

Inherit permissions

Enable recycle bin (this is optional)

Hide dot files

Share extra options:

create mask = 6777

directory mask = 6777

force create mode = 6777

force directory mode = 6777

force user = <OMV user with R/W permissions to the shared directory> (set this to the user you use)

force group = users

• Further update - the shares DO show up on a windows device!

Windows and Mac handle samba differently. Some of those lines in the extra options sections allow for handling the way Mac does it. Others are designed to increase buffers and such to try to improve performance, as Mac samba is rather slow compared to Windows and Linux

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!