[solved] A laptop NAS question again ? Can't you use the search bar ?

• Hi everyone,

I know, I have read every topic about laptop based NAS on OMV. But I still have questions.

I would like to use my potential NAS as a "google photos" style synchronised platform and as a plex local server. (+torrent downloading)

I was thinking (because I have understand that USB storage is irrelevant to secure data) to use 2x2to 2.5" in the HDD bay and in the DVD bay with a caddy. This way, my critical data could be safe... maybe?

So to resume, I got this laptop : https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/document/c05493437
    Specs : AND E2-9000 - 4Gb Ram - 2xUSB3.1 ports - gigabit Lan.

I own 2x4to USB 3 2.5" HDD for the media storage.

I would use internal SATA ports and those kind of HDD : https://www.reichelt.com/fr/fr…ium=idealo.fr&PROVID=2842

OMV should boot from a SDHC and run in ram.

The laptop have the WOL option in the BIOS.

I understand that I will do nothing with the wifi card, keyboard, screen etc... but this is the spare I have and I would like to test OMV.

My real questions are :
    -Would I be able to secure my pictures if the first HDD backup itself on the second every week ?
    -Would I be able to use my plex server with USB disks ?

Thanks for your advices !

• bouby

Hat den Titel des Themas von „FFS, a laptop NAS question again ? Can't you use the search bar ?“ zu „A laptop NAS question again ? Can't you use the search bar ?“ geändert.
  • votdev

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I understand your point of view, but I don't know if we aim the same thing.

You probably are an expert in the NAS world and I'm a complete noob.

I don't understand why it's a stupid thing to do, I don't want to debate about it ; just understand why.

Ram isn't ECC, I got it.
    USB is not reliable for critical data, I got it.
    Power management isn't optimal, overheating could happen while the lid is closed, I got it.

But what do I miss ?

I got those parts in a closet, doing nothing, I should search after an old motherboard + proc + ram instead of it ?
    I don't understant why a raspberry could be a good option while a laptop couldn't.

Please explain it to me.

Maybe I can test a setup with my irrelevant junks and, if I like what I'm able to do with it, build a proper one ?

• I may have found out, I may don't use the good terms.

As it's not easy to achieve sufficient data redundancy in the case of a drive failure, you don't advice people to use any laptop as a NAS.

My needs looks more like a little home server acting as a cloud storage and a media server than a NAS. In those conditions, I understand that I will not be able to secure my pictures like I would.

Am I heading in the right direction ?

• ok ok, I will not follow this path as it look like I'm exposing myself to something I d'on't understand.

I will look after spare parts to build a PC with a low consumption profile.

See ya in weeks !

• bouby

Hat den Titel des Themas von „A laptop NAS question again ? Can't you use the search bar ?“ zu „[solved] A laptop NAS question again ? Can't you use the search bar ?“ geändert.
  • Wondering what you are willing to invest into this project as well as how many, and what kind of storage media you want to use.

For a very power consumption friendly x86/amd64 system with the ability to use 2x SATA drives as well as 1x M.2 NVME/or a M.2 to 6x SATA controller have a look at my signature.

• ty, I will.

Your builds are insanely power efficient.

I will try with this configuration at first :

AMD ryzen 5 2600

Asus prime x370-A

8go ddr4 2400mhz

(Gtx 1060 6go)

i can have it for free.

I also have a spare 128go SSD and many 1To Sata disks.

I'm maybe aiming 1kWh/day.
    Not a big deal since I have a 10kWc DIY solar power system on top of one of my barns in France, in the South West. So I can reduce my consumption during the day. (I don't have batteries, I sell my over-production by choice).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your builds are insanely power efficient.

It is not necessary to configure the system with special architectures to achieve low consumption. I recommend that you look at an Intel N100 CPU with x86 architecture, with similar consumption and without any compatibility problems with Debian.

• Very interesting, ty for your advices.

I really like those micro computers. On the other hands, I like to use refurbished things.

I'll first try with a free configuration then, I'll follow a new path !

For example, my actual home assistant stand alone box is installed on an old laptop, in my 19" bay. Everything is from second hands or garbages.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!