Upgrade to from 6 -> 7 didn't work

• Hi,

I have tried to make and upgrade via ssh and it first looked like it worked, I got confirmation that everything is fine and I should reboot.

After the reboot I got the error of a resolver issue, which I tried to fix by changing the interface setting to DHCP. It looked like it worked. After updating the packages, I had around 540 packages to update.

Once I started the update, it stopped in the UI with a 404 error message. I rebooted the system and since then, when I login to via ssh, it does not recognize the omv commands.

I read in another thread to provide the following outputs, maybe it helps.

It is showing that the upgrade to 7 didn't work.

Bash
    root@openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
    rc  openmediavault                     6.9.11-4                             all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    rc  openmediavault-diskstats           6.0.5-1                              all          openmediavault disk monitoring plugin
    ii  openmediavault-keyring             1.0.2-2                              all          GnuPG archive keys of the openmediavault archive
    rH  openmediavault-usbbackup           6.0.5-1                              all          openmediavault USB/eSATA backup plugin
    rc  openmediavault-wetty               6.0.7-1                              all          openmediavault WeTTY (Web + TTY) plugin
    Bash
    root@openmediavault:~# ls -al /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
    insgesamt 24
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 15. Apr 11:51 .
    drwxr-xr-x 13 root root 4096 15. Apr 12:10 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  150 15. Apr 11:51 openmediavault-kernel-backports.list
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  406 15. Apr 11:51 openmediavault.list
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root   60  4. Jun 2023  openmediavault-local.list
    -rw-r--r--  1 root root  336 15. Apr 11:51 openmediavault-os-security.list

Is there anything else I can do to identify the issue?

I can't even use the normal update command anymore, it says that the command is not found.

Bash
    root@openmediavault:~# echo $PATH
    /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von macom () aus folgendem Grund: removed "I think I have posted the topic in the wrong Forum. Can someone move it to the correct one, please?" after moving the thread

• I run the command but it seems it didn't work completely.

I got an error

Looking at the versions, I am still on 6.x

Bash
    root@openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
    rc  openmediavault                     6.9.11-4                             all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    rc  openmediavault-diskstats           6.0.5-1                              all          openmediavault disk monitoring plugin
    ii  openmediavault-keyring             1.0.2-2                              all          GnuPG archive keys of the openmediavault archive
    iU  openmediavault-omvextrasorg        7.0                                  all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    rH  openmediavault-usbbackup           6.0.5-1                              all          openmediavault USB/eSATA backup plugin
    rc  openmediavault-wetty               6.0.7-1                              all          openmediavault WeTTY (Web + TTY) plugin
  • all I get is

now some of the omv- commands are listed, but not all.

Do I need to do any other steps? Should I run the 6 to 7 fix script once more?

Code
    sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/fix6to7upgrade | sudo bash
  • Looking at the versions, I am still on 6.x

They are showing rc which means removed but configurations still exist

Did you make a OS drive backup as is advised before trying the upgrade (which I assume with omv-release-upgrade)?

What is the output of:

sudo apt list --upgradable

sudo apt-cache policy openmediavault

ls -al /etc/default/openm*

• I did not make a OS drive backup :-/

Yes, I have used the omv-release-upgrade command.

The output is as follows:

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# sudo apt-cache policy openmediavault
    openmediavault:
      Installiert:           (keine)
      Installationskandidat: 7.0.5-1
      Versionstabelle:
         7.0.5-1 500
            500 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public sandworm/main amd64 Packages
            500 https://openmediavault.github.io/packages sandworm/main amd64 Packages
         6.9.11-4 -1
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Code
    root@openmediavault:~# ls -al /etc/default/openm*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1975 22. Jan 2023  /etc/default/openmediavault
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1827 28. Mär 2023  /etc/default/openmediavault.dpkg-dist

should I simply run and apt-get update && apt-get upgarde? Don't want to mess up more, so I am not sure

• I did not make a OS drive backup :-/

Then do it now before trying anything else.

Your system is a mess and anything you can try might make it worst or even make it unusable.

In last case, you will have to start with a fresh install.

The amount of upgradable packages don't show it but what is (don't know if it will work)
    apt list --upgradable | grep openm

You can test/run any commands from apt with the --dry-run flag to see what it will change on the system:

apt install --reinstall -f --dry-run

Post it's output.

I'll leave the rest inside the SPOILER for later.

• Just saw this mentioned on the omv-mkaptidx:

sputnik

You can try what it says there:

Check the error with:

python3 -vc 'import apt'

Then check what's on the folder:

[tt]ls -al /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/__pycache__/[/tt]

Post the output

• Hi Soma ,

I appreciate your help!

I am not so experienced with debian and linux.

Here is the output from comment #10

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# apt list --upgradable | grep openm

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

openmediavault-usbbackup/sandworm,sandworm 7.0.2-1 all [aktualisierbar von: 6.0.5-1]

The apt install --reinstall -f --dry-run command gives plenty of packages to be update. Please let me know if I should wait or run it.

Here is the output of comment #11.

• The apt install --reinstall -f --dry-run command gives plenty of packages to be update. Please let me know if I should wait or run it.

You can try just:

apt install --reinstall -f openmediavault --dry-run

Should give a smaller output.

• Seems some packages are broken.

• Seems some packages are broken.

Sorry, I don't speak german.

Probieren Sie »apt --fix-broken install«, um dies zu korrigieren

What is that ?

• Soma sorry, didn't know there is a way to display the output in english

macom thank you!

• didn't know there is a way to display the output in english

Me neither.

Thanks macom

Now, at least we have some info from apt of what is going on.

I can't guarantee that it will work. This is what I would do if it was my system.

If you accept the risk of what follows, then run:

apt --fix-broken install

dpkg -l | grep openmedia

• I guess that didn't go so well :)

The part where error occurred during the fixing

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# dpkg -l | grep openmedia
    iF  openmediavault                     7.0.5-1                              all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    iU  openmediavault-omvextrasorg        7.0                                  all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    rU  openmediavault-usbbackup           7.0.2-1                              all          openmediavault USB/eSATA/SD backup plugin

Is there anything else I can do?

omv seems to be on version 7.

I get the login page, but when I try to login it says 500 no such page or file

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!