I need new hardware, still on 4, its really time 2 get a new one, maybe CM3588 friendly ELECs?

• Folks,

I run a hp mircro gen 8, sure, boosted to the max, CPU, RAM, 20 TB of spinning discs. But i contsantly run into issues with the 16 gb of ram for my virtual machines etc. pp. and its about 10 years old (i started while Stoneburner was still in beta, and in 17 went straigth to Arakis, did not upgrade due to no VM support out of the box), spinning discts with 24/7 up time too. so its geting time since some time now. :)

Recently I watched linus tech tips boast about the friendly elec CM3588 with OMV, since I found it throug him, I share HIS spnsored link, if you dont like it, search google for friendly elec cm3588

CM3588

anybody has that one?

the homepage is a bit irritating, it states up to 64 gb of ram, but it seems like the max one can order is 16 gb of ram... I realy want 64gb...

What i look for is a small totaly silent nas, that does its work, not too expensive base stuff (board, cpu, so I can have a second set on the shelf in case of what ever), easy accessable case. 64gb of RAM and upgradable, solid state ports where I can add sata adaper cards to kind of get a "vast and slow" long term "rsnapshot" location and a fasst ssd for containers, VMs and day to day file storage.

So basically the CM3588 fits the bill perfectly, asside from the RAM thing. Any sugestions?

Thanks

edit: i dont need to much cpu power, currently running a intel Xeon E3-1280 and i rarly see more than 30-50%, even with the vms loaded up and fast. the ram thing is realy a issu though with 2 win11 machines, home assistant, pihole, unifi and some other stuff running there.

edit 2, ocasionally i also run a sandboxed win7 vm with 2020 slid wrks on there for modeling e.g. piping in my house before i go and buy the elbows and such. currently i have to kill basically all aside from unifi and pihole to make that happen. due to ram, very anoying.

• mannebk

Hat den Titel des Themas von „I need new hardware, still on 4, its really time get a new one, maybe CM3588 friendly ELECs?“ zu „I need new hardware, still on 4, its really time 2 get a new one, maybe CM3588 friendly ELECs?“ geändert.
  • https://lmg.gg/kgce0

the homepage is a bit irritating, it states up to 64 gb of ram, but it seems like the max one can order is 16 gb of ram... I realy want 64gb...

I can't find anything about 64GB Ram at the link provided. The 64GB is eMMC, which is a soldered NAND memory, similar to a USB stick.

OMV 6 auf HP Microserver Gen8, Xeon E3-1270v2, 8GB RAM, 2x 10TB Ironwolf Pro Raid

• Offizieller Beitrag

anybody has that one?

The RK3588 cpu on the CM3588 only supports a max of 32GB of ram. The cm3588 is only available with a max of 16GB of ram. The 64GB eMMC is not ram.

I agree with Soma about running VMs on arm cpus (at least the arm cpus available on SBCs). I recommend using docker and/or lxc containers on the cm3588. It is a great board but I would go x86 if you want VMs.

omv 7.4.2-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• mannebk It's a pity you must run windows vms as you can squeeze quite bit out of 16GB using docker apps, lxc and lightweight linux vms.

What i look for is a small totaly silent nas, that does its work, not too expensive base stuff (board, cpu, so I can have a second set on the shelf in case of what ever), easy accessable case. 64gb of RAM and upgradable, solid state ports where I can add sata adaper cards to kind of get a "vast and slow" long term "rsnapshot" location and a fasst ssd for containers, VMs and day to day file storage.

You could speak to your bank manager and then invest in a HP Microserver gen 10 plus v2. Or keep the gen8 and shift some/all vms to a something like a lenovo m720q or more recent model.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!