Motherboard Recommendation

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll second chente 's statement on RAID. If you're looking at RAID1, rsync'ing two disks would be a better choice. You'd have true backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll second chente 's statement on RAID. If you're looking at RAID1, rsync two disks would be a better choice. You'd have true backup.

Agree.. for the average home user... Raid 1 is almost useless and just using rsync is a better solution. It's less headache, is an actual second copy. no trying to recover and rebuild raids if something fails... just pop in a new drive and rsync the data to the new drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

no trying to recover and rebuild raids if something fails... just pop in a new drive and rsync the data to the new drive.

And,,, it's possible (actually easy) to redirect shares to the Rsync'ed backup drive. If redirected at the shared folder level, top level services follow (Samba shares, etc.). That gives access to the users data while waiting for a new drive to arrive. It's real backup and recovery is quick.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And,,, it's possible (actually easy) to redirect shares to the Rsync'ed backup drive. If redirected at the shared folder level, top level services follow (Samba shares, etc.). That gives access to the users data while waiting for a new drive to arrive. It's real backup and recovery is quick.

Yup.

How I've done it for...a long, long time... is Drive A, is basically for all my services, nfs, docker, etc., Drive B, is just a backup. It isn't available to anything but rsync. In the event Drive A fails (which thankfully only happened once)... you can move Drive B into place pretty easily until the new drive arrives... or just shut down until the new drive arrives (2 is 1, 1 is none, you know).

Here in the US, most stuff can pretty much be ordered very close to overnight.... so at least for me, it wouldn't be a big deal my server being down for a day.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here in the US, most stuff can pretty much be ordered very close to overnight.... so at least for me, it wouldn't be a big deal my server being down for a day.

I have a full backup server, complete with identical shares, users and permissions. In the event of the failure of the primary, I activate SMB on the backup server and it appears on the network, exactly like the primary but with a different hostname. (That's a bit extreme for home use but I like good backup. :) )

• I'll second chente 's statement on RAID. If you're looking at RAID1, rsync'ing two disks would be a better choice. You'd have true backup.

Yup.

How I've done it for...a long, long time... is Drive A, is basically for all my services, nfs, docker, etc., Drive B, is just a backup. It isn't available to anything but rsync. In the event Drive A fails (which thankfully only happened once)... you can move Drive B into place pretty easily until the new drive arrives... or just shut down until the new drive arrives (2 is 1, 1 is none, you know).

Thank you, I'll definitely consider that!

In Poland it's also not a problem to buy new HDD with door-to-door delivery within few days.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a full backup server, complete with identical shares, users and permissions. In the event of the failure of the primary, I activate SMB on the backup server and it appears on the network, exactly like the primary but with a different hostname. (That's a bit extreme for home use but I like good backup. :) )

I have a remote backup server as well..lol. It's actually next on the upgrade list. It's an old HC2 with OMV 5 on it. I've not even tried to upgrade it as I don't think armbian is available for it. It's pretty well stuffed to the gills. I'm thinking I'll buy the rockpro64 NAS kit, and throw an 8 and 4tb drive in it, just like my server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you, I'll definitely consider that!

In Poland it's also not a problem to buy new HDD with door-to-door delivery within few days.

It does have the added benefit, if you leave the delete trigger off (I do).. and you accidentally delete something and don't realize it for a couple of days... even if the job has already ran, it's still going to be on the "backup" (on a mirror, it would be gone unless you had it backed up elsewhere). In this instance, which has also happened to me.. just SSH the server, cd to your "Backup" drive, and copy the file in question back to the "main" drive.

For me, usually around once a month, I'll log in and enable the delete trigger, and then run the job manually to bring the two drives 100% in sync. Once it's done, I disable it again. How often it runs, is up to you... Mine runs daily about 4am, as I'm usually at work at that time. Then every Sunday at 5am, a script runs to update my server, then at 6am, a script runs to image my drive OS drive and put the image on my data drive.

For me, it's pretty much a "set it and forget it" process that took me a while to come up with exactly how I wanted to do it.. TOnce a month or so I log in and run my rsync job with the delete trigger and then i check the folder with my OS disk images, and delete all but the 2 most current.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a remote backup server as well..lol. It's actually next on the upgrade list. It's an old HC2 with OMV 5 on it. I've not even tried to upgrade it as I don't think armbian is available for it.

It is. Mine is upgraded to OMV6. But you could also do a fresh install:

https://www.armbian.com/odroid-xu4/

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is. Mine is upgraded to OMV6. But you could also do a fresh install:

https://www.armbian.com/odroid-xu4/

Oh I would just do a clean install.

In that case, I might just buy a 2bay USB enclosure. I don't need amazing speed. All it does is run syncthing.

• KM0201, seems like you're more advanced user, so let me return to motherboard question. What do you reckon? Stick to D2500CC or change to potentially more efficient Advantech?

Also, let me add some "new" knowledge. Maybe it's not new, but now I know some another numbers - my Chieftec PSU takes around 8.5W when PS_ON shorted to ground, with no load. So, in terms of efficiency, it may be better to go laptop PSU with 275 Advantech for 130PLN ($28) in AT mode (this board has 4-pin EPS connector and custom 5VSB one, which is mandatory to run ATX-ish mode).

• I just bought that Advantech 275 MB with Pentium G4400, 4GB of RAM and 12V 60W DC power supply. I hope it will work good enough for me and I won't regret spending 57 bucks for this :P

Before you ask "why Pentium" - those CPUs are simply cheaper than Celerons, lol.

• I just bought that Advantech 275 MB with Pentium G4400, 4GB of RAM and 12V 60W DC power supply. I hope it will work good enough for me and I won't regret spending 57 bucks for this :P

Before you ask "why Pentium" - those CPUs are simply cheaper than Celerons, lol.

Roko772, Please keep in mind.. # of Core and speed.. Celerons is ok, but you need to be sure if the Celerons has 4 cores to allow enough timing data transfer is more important.. Like I said before I am running Intel Quad Core (4 Cores) LGA-775, Gigabyte Mobo with 8GB DDR2 RAM and cheap PCI-e video card. I put 1 SSD for Bootable for OMV 6.xx and (2) 1TB RAID 1 level.. My data transfer was good up to 98MB/Sec over Gigabit LAN.. I am plan add more storage later on by using 8 port SATA PCI-E x1 card that allow me fill 8 more bigger HDD sooner.. I also plan put another 64GB SSD for Cache..

Good luck your project..

ATGPUD2003

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!