how do i choose which build to use for my hardware? [hp ex490]

• Hi
    Im totally new to this and came across your software while researching NAS solutions as im fed up of losing data from single USB attached HDD solutions.

I purchased the hp second hand - having decided that SHR raid was the way forward - via xpenology. unfortunately - i cannot get the darned thing to obtain an ip address via dhcp no matter what i do. [ive returned it to its original windows home server software - which, frankly sucks!

moving forward, I would love to trial OMV with a view to running raid 5 - or, if available, something similar to SHR that isnt so wasteful if different sized disks are used.and the main piece of software - emby.

My first question is, how do i choose the correct image for the hp hardware? [bearing in mind that the hp is headless]
    secondly - what are the raid options?
    thirdly - will it run emby?

Hope im not treading on anyone's toes -
    many thanks in advance for your help
    Andy

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to this: https://support.hp.com/us-en/p…ocument/c01764554#c64554b

It has a 64bit Intel Celeron. So you would need the standard ISO.

Installing will be the bigger problem, as that typically requires a display, and it doesn't appear that device has a display port or chipset of any kind.

I think what you're going to have to do is slip the OS drive in a computer with a display (disconnect all drives other than the OS drive)... Install OMV, then put the OS in your device and boot it.

Check your router or use angry IP scanner on your computer to see what IP gets assigned to OMV.. then go from there.

• thanks for that - yes i was going to attempt that - but if the wrong nic drivers are loaded, im never going toget out of the starting gate!
    isnt the raspberry pie headless? if so couldn't i use that installer ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No you can't use the image provided for RPi. They are arm and you are having amd64. Different architecture.

• I would love to trial OMV with a view to running raid 5 - or, if available, something similar to SHR that isnt so wasteful if different sized disks are used

I don´t think that SHR is supported by OMV. As the name indicates "Synology Hybrid RAID" is a prorietary solution of Synology.

You have to look for something similar like Snapraid & mergerfs.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

thanks for that - yes i was going to attempt that - but if the wrong nic drivers are loaded, im never going toget out of the starting gate!

You could "what if" it to death... but it's a pretty obscure device so until you try, you won't know. You're just gonna have to try it. OMV takes about 10min to install...

As I said, plug a drive into a computer or laptop, unplug all other drives from said computer.

Install OMV

Unplug new OMV drive and mount in HP device, boot it and see what happens.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely you will have a major issue with the NIC.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!