Samba 4.1.+ ?

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

samba4 in wheezy is old (4.0beta2) since 4.1.4 is out. Volker should create his own package if he is going to use samba4.

I found Samba 4 has been mentioned a couple of times, just wondering if anyone has had any success with it on OMV 0.5.35 or is it best to wait till 0.6, which I read might be coming out any day now?? 8-)

• Just wait.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wouldn't try using it on Squeeze at all. We haven't heard any plans about it for OMV 0.6.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I just created a feature request for it:

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=994

Maybe someone can add more information why 4.1 is such superior and what Volker needs to add to the webgui for it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Yeah, If Volker would make it compatible with 4.1 without adding the features to the gui yet, people that want to use it can do it via cli.

Greetings
    David

• Sounds like I'd be best off waiting...

Zitat von "davidh2k"

I just created a feature request for it:

http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=994

Thanks

Zitat von "davidh2k"

Maybe someone can add more information why 4.1 is such superior and what Volker needs to add to the webgui for it.

I'm no expert but I found this:

Zitat von "In [url=http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/What-s-New-in-Samba-4

What’s New in Samba 4[/url], Adam Tauno Williams"]The most basic use of Samba is simply as a file server, in which Samba 4 excels. The internals of the file server are now highly asynchronous, providing higher throughput and improved utilization of server resources. Another file server-related performance enhancement is support for the SMB2.1 and SMB3 protocols. These higher level SMB versions are supported in increasing degrees on Microsoft Vista and greater clients. Higher levels of the SMB protocol provide encryption, symbolic link support, server-side copy, and high-availability features, such as multipath and failover. An SMB3 file server should outperform a lower SMB/CIFS-level file server.

There's also the vastly improved Active Directory integration but that's probably not much interest to home users.

Zitat von "davidh2k"

Greetings
    David

Greetings to you too :)

Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I would like to see the new Samba but not at expense of delaying OMV on Wheezy. We need to get off Squeeze for many reasons now.

I agree.

• Weird compilation of features. Symbolic Links work now too. But Server-Side-Copy sounds awesome for many people!

"An SMB3 Server should outperform a lower level one." I know Samba has much overhead, but on my machine I'm at 113MB/s topspeed. Like to see if that increases even more.

Greetings
    David

• Well, there are still 12MB/s left, I don't know right now much TCP/IP eats from that.

Greetings
    David

• Code
    root@DATENKNECHT:~# dpkg -l | grep openmediavault
    ii  openmediavault                                              1.4                           all          Open network attached storage solution
    root@DATENKNECHT:~# smbstatus
    Samba version 3.6.6

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• OpenMediaVault will allways use the standard debian package. If someone wants to contribute an implementation for a newer package version he/she can contact Volker and ask for including in the core.

Greetings
    David

• The 4.x samba versions may have their advantages. But in terms of speed I do not see any differences. Actually I am building a new FTP/file server based on CentOS 7 with samba 4.1.1 and file transfer rates are the same comparing to it's predecessor running on Fedora 16 using samba 3.5.1. Both systems are virtualized running on ESXi 5.1 using the same hardware platform, a Dell R620. Both reach the same max speed of around 110mb/s and this is close to the technical limits of a gigabit link as donh has stated above.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• I think the request do urge from the new features that 4.x offers over 3.x.

PS: Technical limitation is 125MB/s, reduced by protocol overhead. I reach 113MB/s in my setup.

Greetings
    David

• Just wait for OpenMediaVault based on Debian Jessie, then you get a fresh Samba version.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!