[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• But when I run it I got an error mentioned above.

Please post the whole command line how you start the script also.

please del this post

You can do this by yourself: Go to the post -> Click on 'edit' -> Click on 'enhanced edit' -> Set the checkbox "Move thread to recycle bin" -> Send

I have a German user interface here. Therefore the buttons may have a slightly different name.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• root@nas:/etc/zfs/zed.d# ./zpool_checker.sh
    ./zpool_checker.sh: 16: [: Illegal number:

• Hello guys,

today I updated to the latest openmediavault-zfs plugin and see the following message:

Is the message "Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer" a typical behavior?

Everything seems to work normal.

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the message "Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer" a typical behavior?

Yep. That means engined was restarted.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Wasn‘t sure if I ever saw this message. But I think so. Errors in combination with my zfs are not my favourite. Thanks! ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I'm not sure this is related to ZFS directly, but is it normal to see better sequential write speeds than read speeds on a mirrored vdev pool?

It seems my server struggles when it comes to reads sometimes, as the speed is very fluctuating even if I'm just copying large files (to an SSD on the client-side). My pool consists of 2 mirror vdevs made up by 2 WD Reds 3TB. I have compression turned on and have adjusted the ARC to 12 GB max (and 4 GB min). In the attached figures, you can see the write speed when copying some VMs to the NAS showing a more or less constant 445 MB/s. The data adds up to 40 GB (23 GB after being compressed, i.e. disk usage is 23 GB on the NAS). When trying to read back the very same files, I see a very fluctuating graph topping out at about 340 MB/s. Now, even though the data in this example are compressible, I see the same behavior for in-compressible data. When looking at CPU-usage, I tend to see this large portion waiting for IO, and my CPU-load may be very high, (especially if trying to to several copy tasks, I have seen load numbers in the 20-30s).

I also noticed that disk usage in iostat (%util) is close to 100 % when writing, but only about 60 % when reading, so it seems the disks are not able to fully perform.

My server has a Xeon E3-1240, 16 GB of RAM, a Mellanox 10 Gb network card (same on client side) and running Erasmus (OMV3). I use a LSI SAS 9210 for half the disks, the other half is run from the MB (to have controller redundancy as well, as a side note can this cause the strange behavior?).

• I'm running an old Proxmox kernel apparently and even updating it does not seem to show good results.

How does one uninstall the Proxmox kernel and re-enable the backports repo?

I tried installing the linux image 4.9.0-0.bpo.6-amd64, but the headers are giving me an error. Not sure if I have to uninstall Proxmox first and/or get the backports repo back?

Code
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86 (>= 4.9.82-1+deb9u1~) but 3.16.56-1 is to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
  • I'm running an old Proxmox kernel apparently and even updating it does not seem to show good results.

I tried installing the linux image 4.9.0-0.bpo.6-amd64, but the headers are giving me an error. Not sure if I have to uninstall Proxmox first and/or get the backports repo back?

Code
     linux-headers-4.9.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-4.9-x86 (>= 4.9.82-1+deb9u1~) but 3.16.56-1 is to be installed

Huh? You said in the other thread that you moved to the 4.15 kernel? How come you’re back on the older Proxmox?

Post the output of:

Code
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Code
    ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

Code
    uname -a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Code

Huh? You said in the other thread that you moved to the 4.15 kernel? How come you’re back on the older Proxmox?

Post the output of:

Code
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Code
    ls /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

Code
    uname -a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I have a fresh and patched OMV 4.1.6 and try to install ZFS-Plugin. Installer hangs at

Code
    Building initial module for 4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

After waiting for an hour error-messages occur .... whats wrong with it?

Code
    /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.9/build/configure: line 13069: dpkg-architecture: command not found

Edit:
    I finally managed to install ZFS, but

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; zfs list -H -t snapshot -o name,used,refer 2>&1' with exit code '1': The ZFS modules are not loaded. Try running '/sbin/modprobe zfs' as root to load them.

running

Code
    /sbin/modprobe zfs

enables ZFS, but why is the kernel module not initially loaded?

Edit:
    A new approach with fresh OMV4, without patched Kernel 4.16 hangs at installing kernel-headers:

I tried to patch up a fresh OMV4 up to 4.16 and enable testing-repo in OMV-Extras to get the latest ZFS. Even with 0.7.9 i get the nasty error.

Code
    /var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.9/build/configure: line 13069: dpkg-architecture: command not found

Is there any solution for a fresh install right now?

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

10 Mal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

After waiting for an hour error-messages occur .... whats wrong with it?

That error didn't affect my test installs. it can be removed by installing the dpkg-dev package.

A new approach with fresh OMV4, without patched Kernel 4.16 hangs at installing kernel-headers:

The zfs 0.7.6 package doesn't build on the 4.16 kernel. That is why I put the 0.7.9 in the omv-extras testing repo.

Even with 0.7.9 i get the nasty error.

Why is it nasty?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• so the solution should be installing dpkg-dev?

I'll try that.

My steps: fresh install of OMV4, patch all updates incl. kernel 4.16. Install dpkg-dev, install omv-extras, enabling stable+testing-repo. reboot.

now apt-get update and install ZFS

Code
    Setting up zfs-dkms (0.7.9-2) ...
    Loading new zfs-0.7.9 DKMS files...
    Building for 4.16.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

hangs there .... 15 min already

Edit:

hangs at that point for quite a while

Edit: After finishing and reboot accessing ZFS-Plugin:

running

Code
    /sbin/modprobe zfs

drops the error, till next reboot.

Terry Pratchett

10 Mal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

hangs there .... 15 min already

It isn't hanging. It is compiling. If it is still going after 15 minutes, you must have a slow cpu and/or a low cpu core count.

so the solution should be installing dpkg-dev?

It is a solution for removing that one error message.

drops the error

Not sure why the module isn't loading. The following command will fix it:
    echo "zfs" > /etc/modules-load.d/zfs.conf

• well, its a quad core CPU, utilization during compile is almost zero.

Terry Pratchett

• Offizieller Beitrag

well, its a Quad CPU, utilization during build is almost zero.

An RPi3 is a quad core but still slow. Nothing I can do to make it compile faster.

• Well a Xeon E3 V3 4C/8T should not take half an hour to compile a kernel module ....

I would not mess with a Pi for a NAS ....

Installing ZFS-Plugin:

Code

why is there an architecture-failure?

Terry Pratchett

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well a Xeon E3 V3 4C/8T should not take half an hour to compile a kernel module ....

I agree but I can't do anything to make it better.

/var/lib/dkms/zfs/0.7.9/build/configure: line 13069: dpkg-architecture: command not found why is there an architecture-failure?

The command doesn't exist because the dpkg-dev package isn't installed. It doesn't seem to affect anything on my systems though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!