How to restore from an omv-backup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do we have any special instruction for OMV or it does not matter?

Doesn't matter.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello. I was trying to create a backup of my OMV partition. I have a 250 GBs HDD as entire OMV drive. I have shrinked OMV partition in a half and created second one intended to be a backup partition. Second partition is mounted under system (it is ext4 partition) but I am unable to create a shared folder for it - drive is not available to choose. Why? I know that this is not a best way to keep system and backup of this system on the same drive but I want to try it anyway.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am unable to create a shared folder for it - drive is not available to choose. Why?

If you didn't mount the second partition from the OMV web interface, you won't be able to create a sharedfolder UNLESS you install the sharerootfs plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• If you didn't mount the second partition from the OMV web interface, you won't be able to create a sharedfolder UNLESS you install the sharerootfs plugin.

Partition has been moutned but there was no option to select it on Shared Folders section - disk/partition was not available there, only my data drive. Partition was created in GParted. Right now I have delete it in OMV and will try again in GParted/OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Partition has been moutned but there was no option to select it on Shared Folders section - disk/partition was not available there, only my data drive.

But did you mount it from the OMV web interface? That is the important part.

Partition was created in GParted. Right now I have delete it in OMV and will try again in GParted/OMV.

How the partition was created really isn't important. No need to delete it. You just need to mount it the right way.

• But did you mount it from the OMV web interface? That is the important part.

How the partition was created really isn't important. No need to delete it. You just need to mount it the right way.

Yes, but I have an error as follows - before and now too:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run --no-color fstab 2>&1' with exit code '1': debian: ---------- ID: create_filesystem_mountpoint_3c5a4f9d-25a8-41d0-b71a-08ee004de6cb Function: file.accumulated Result: True Comment: Accumulator create_filesystem_mountpoint_3c5a4f9d-25a8-41d0-b71a-08ee004de6cb for file /etc/fstab was charged by text Started: 15:25:31.612286 Duration: 4.036 ms Changes: ---------- ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_3c5a4f9d-25a8-41d0-b71a-08ee004de6cb Function: mount.mounted Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-01f045ba-31e5-4d74-8519-ee8591746a6e Result: True Comment: Target was already mounted Started: 15:25:31.619612 Duration: 267.158 ms Changes: ---------- umount: Forced remount because options (user_xattr) changed ---------- ID: create_filesystem_mountpoint_366de315-5882-4cf5-8f80-95c3dc5672d8 Function: file.accumulated Result: True Comment: Accumulator create_filesystem_mountpoint_366de315-5882-4cf5-8f80-95c3dc5672d8 for file /etc/fstab was charged by text Started: 15:25:31.887559 Duration: 4.873 ms Changes: ---------- ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_366de315-5882-4cf5-8f80-95c3dc5672d8 Function: mount.mounted Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-CE1ECDBA1ECD9C39 Result: False Comment: ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/disk/by-uuid/CE1ECDBA1ECD9C39': No such file or directory ntfs-3g 2017.3.23AR.3 integrated FUSE 28 - Third Generation NTFS Driver Configuration type 7, XATTRS are on, POSIX ACLS are on Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Yura Pakhuchiy Copyright (C) 2006-2009 Szabolcs Szakacsits Copyright (C) 2007-2017 Jean-Pierre Andre Copyright (C) 2009 Erik Larsson Usage: ntfs-3g [-o option[,...]] <device|image_file> <mount_point> Options: ro (read-only mount), windows_names, uid=, gid=, umask=, fmask=, dmask=, streams_interface=. Please see the details in the manual (type: man ntfs-3g). Example: ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows News, support and information: http://tuxera.com Started: 15:25:31.893034 Duration: 130.512 ms Changes: ---------- ID: create_filesystem_mountpoint_0a826181-6899-4438-aa32-33592d81dbf8 Function: file.accumulated Result: True Comment: Accumulator create_filesystem_mountpoint_0a826181-6899-4438-aa32-33592d81dbf8 for file /etc/fstab was charged by text Started: 15:25:32.024506 Duration: 5.477 ms Changes: ---------- ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_0a826181-6899-4438-aa32-33592d81dbf8 Function: mount.mounted Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e56a77e3-8842-4495-ae80-8658bd212175 Result: True Comment: Target was successfully mounted Started: 15:25:32.030672 Duration: 178.546 ms Changes: ---------- mount: True ---------- ID: append_fstab_entries Function: file.blockreplace Name: /etc/fstab Result: True Comment: No changes needed to be made Started: 15:25:32.216282 Duration: 19.499 ms Changes: Summary for debian ------------ Succeeded: 6 (changed=2) Failed: 1 ------------ Total states run: 7 Total run time: 610.101 ms
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Target was already mounted

You must have mounted it from the command line first. You have to unmount it to mount from the web interface. And I wouldn't use ntfs.

• You must have mounted it from the command line first. You have to unmount it to mount from the web interface. And I wouldn't use ntfs.

I have found what was wrong... There was a NTFS drive in my system which is configured for rsync job to sync my data drive to it (1:1, recursively, every saturday). I have one shared folder routing to it's root directory. I does not want to have this disk power on all the time so while I am not able to unmount shared and sheduled for job disk (am I?) I have just unplugged it from the system. After that I have this disk marked as missing under File System section. That is why above exception appers. I was able to mount my backup partition (it was showed as mounted) but unable to apply changes due to this exception - that's why I was unable to create a shared folder onto my backup partition - mount changes were not applied correctly.

• Hello,

I am running an actual OMV Version and tried the Clonzilla Backup. -> Fine.

But now my (boot)ssd crashed and I want to recover my backup.

So I decided to remove the SSD and go on with a Recovery on an USB Stick.

Yes, I know the Flash Plugin.

The Backup itself is hosted on an NVME Storage inside the NAS.

So try to restore the Backup from the NVME to the USB Stick. But it doesn´t work.

Everytime I do a dd from NVME to USB it won´t boot.

I get in grub rescue.

On the NVME there only exists an x86-64-efi Folder.

But grub is always looking for a i386-pc Folder.

A copy to this folder doesn´t work.

I hope anyone can help.... Please...

OMV 6.0.38-1 Shaitan | Fujitsu DS3231 | Intel i5 - 4570S | 12Gb Ram | 4x8TB | 256 GB USB for boot | 500GB NVME | SnapRAID und mergerfs

• These are additional helpful outputs that might help advanced users during restore. The extension is pretty much what program created the output and saved it to a file. You can see how they are created here - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…iavault/mkconf/backup#L68

The grub and grub parts would be helpful if the os disk failed and you didn't want to manually create the partitions again. They are more important for the rsync style backup.

Hello!

how are you?

Some days ago I am trying to restore backup OMV data. I did try wih dd, ddful and fsarchiver. All works well. But, How can fix boot, grub for other hard disk or ssd can boot the system again? Is there way to do it? Our OMV it is not on Virtual machine Image.

Someone can Help Please?

Thank you!

Douglas Giovani Oechsler
    Prudentópolis-PR-Brazil

• Here is a basic restore procedure using fsarchiver for the same hard drive but a change went bad:

• Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
    • Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
    • Figure out where your backup file is. fsarchiver uses the .fsa extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa
    • Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
    • Restore the files - example fsarchiver restfs /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.fsa dest=/dev/sda1
    • reboot

Here is a basic restore procedure using dd for the same hard drive but a change went bad:

• Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
    • Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
    • Figure out where your backup file is. dd uses the .dd.gz extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz
    • Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
    • Restore the files - example gunzip -c /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M status=progress
    • reboot

What if I restore dd image to another drive because somthing happened with my drive, but I have backup?

• Hello everyone,

I watched the content of this thread and also followed the different methods in the guide from auanasgheps, to try and restore a dd-backup of my server on OMV 6 and i have trouble booting on the server.

Here is my issue and i hope i didn't miss the solution here. Just being myself, i configured backup plugin on OMV with omv-extras and scheduled dd-backup frequently and just forgot about it. After being dumb, i crashed my system, so i had to erase the nvme and disconnected my HDD's to avoid colateral damages.

The thing is, i have a dd-backup which, i believe is from before the incident and because i don't want to configure my server again, i would like to restore this backup. I tried auanasgheps guide here, replacing fsa file with dd file (the system part, usually the largest).

[How-To] Restore OMV system backup made with openmediavault-backup plugin - Guides - openmediavault

I booted from Gparted, formatted my nvme on GPT (as my system is UEFI) and recreated the part table using my .grubparts file but there is somethin to it, i don't know if it's normal:

Apparently, the filesystems are not recognized anymore, but they were the first time i tried restoring .grubparts.

An other issue i have is that my espdd file is larger than 512M, this results in the dd copy cmd to fail, claiming i have not enough space in the part to copy. I don't know why my boot part is larger than 512, i thought maybe it's because i programmed a swapfile rather than the default swap partition and during the backup, it could have backed up the session within the swapfile that is stored in the boot part, maybe i'm wrong, nonetheless i have the same issue with my dd file being larger than the system part here, but i would like to see first with you guys if there is something i'm missing here before try and debugging this. I really don't want to configure my server again ^^

any help is welcome, thx.

• Last time I had to restore my installation from a dd back up, I found the easiest way was simply to make a clean installation of OMV, boot that up, and then simply restore the system partition out of the dd back up using the dd command line (don't aske precisely what command I used, it was long ago). Do you have a full dd back up, or simply the system partition? If you have the later, try first a clean installation (which takes care of the boot loader and such) and then try to restore the system only.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• Perform a full fresh from scratch install of OMV just to get the MBR on the disK?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The issue i still have is that somehow my dd is larger than the current system part i have now, so i know that once i launch the dd copy cmd, it's gonna scream at me, saying there's an error writing tthe part as there is not enough space on the system part to copy my dd backup. Any solution ? Is there way to trim the dd to exclude some empty space ? Maybe i could dd copy to a larger disk and try to fsa backup this disk. Any idea ?

• How did you wind up in this situation? (I'm not going to read a six page thread that is likely full on unrelated stuff.)

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• How did you wind up in this situation? (I'm not going to read a six page thread that is likely full on unrelated stuff.)

You can read my post from 5h ago ;) it's just up ahead :) but yeah i kinda messed up my OMV installation and i have a backup from before the incident, that i maid with dd method on omv-backup plugin, i'm trying to retrieve my OMV configuration. Right now, i reinstalled OMV and i'm trying to restore the dd backup but this bad boy weights more than the system part of my current OMV install (checked on Gparted) i don't know why, but i look for a solution to shrink that dd backup so as to dd copy it to the system part without a writing error from "not enough space" issue.

• Which dd backup form did you use? Note, I don't use that plugin, but I do know there are a few different forms of backup.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!