Backing up the OMV drive before going from OMV4 to OMV5

• Hi,

my NAS (based on a j4105) was running pretty well for a year now with OMV4. I saw the possibility of upgrading to OMV5 with a script.

To be on the save side, I wanted to create a backup copy of my system disk.

I found this instructions from Techno Dad:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

The problem is: OMV is currently on a 256GB SSD and I just bought a only 240GB, and since it is a byte by byte copy the new one is too small I assume?

Do I need then go over clonezilla and follow this rather old instructions here?

RE: How to move OMV system to another drive

Or could I follow Techno Dads instructions like for the SD card with a external USB housing?

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Windows did not recognize the drive with a letter after the failed DD (Option 1) try and also was not able to delete the volume in disk management.

If this approach would work I could swap the main disk to the 240GB and then create the automatic task like in the Option 1.

I would be happy for an advice this. Since my kids series are on the data drive and also the PVR is saving there, I only have a limited "window of opportunity" :)

Thanks in advance.

• Thanks, but it did not solve my problems completely:

- yes I did a backup of the OS Drive to the Data Drive

- I was not able to clone the 275GB (not 256GB btw) drive to the 240GB new drive

--- neither with disk to disk option (disk size too small)

--- neither with restore image (restoring to new disk)

Total occupied image size is ~16GB

Any other options?

• - I was not able to clone the 275GB (not 256GB btw) drive to the 240GB new drive

You could also try to reduce the partition size of the source disk from 275GB size to e.g. 235GB that it fits to the new destination disk, before the clonezilla image or disk clone is created. And thereby use the -icds option as macom has suggested.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Reducing the partition size will not solve the problem if the method used clones the entire disk.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Reducing the partition size will not solve the problem if the method used clones the entire disk.

Clonezilla won't clone to a smaller disk
    Maybe not possible with a direct disk to disk clone but by an image file? And another option has to be set "Resize partition table proportionally.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• bembes

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!