Correct HDD settings for ensure long life

• Hi,

I'm using a OMV 5 on Raspberry Pi 4 with two WD Red 1T 2.5" disk connected to USB 3.0.

I'm thinking how to set up correctly in OMV to keep disk in good condition for long time. Most of the time disk are not used. I am using a OMV in my private network to keep some files, as a mapped drives to my laptop, keep some movies or pictures.

How to set up APM, Smart?

I think would be good, if I need to use a drive it start up, than working for some time, 20-30 minutes and than again can be switch off. So some kind of wake up for request from any devices.

Another question is if it is possibe to keep OMV disable in some hours range in auto kode? Let's say to keep OMV off between 00.00 and 6.00AM?

Maciek

• if I need to use a drive it start up, than working for some time, 20-30 minutes and than again can be switch off.

I'm using hd-idle for that purpose, with a 10 min idle_time

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

WD red are NAS drives and as such designed to run 24/7. Frequent spin up / spin down will add to the wear of the drive. For your use case with spin down desktop drives would be sufficient.

If you want to spin the drives down, make sure it does not happen too often. Maybe not more than 1-2 times per day. I am pretty sure there are different opinions (but few facts) about this ;)

If you want to use APM with spin down, I would use 127 which is the least aggressive with spin down. Check the load cycle count in SMART.

I experienced issues with APM and rapidly increasing load cycle count. Spec limit of 300k would have been reached in few weeks. I switched then to hd-idle and disabled APM completely

hdparm -B255 /dev/sdx

Since then load cycle count is stable.

EDIT: just realized you are using the drives in an USB enclosure. Might be that the USB to sata controller has an in-build functionality to spin down the drives

• If you want to spin the drives down, make sure it does not happen too often

Fully agree. Setting the time for idle_time is depending on actual usage pattern.

Note: for my external USB enclosure (Icy Box RD3662-C31) hdparm didn't work, therefore the rewritten hd-idle by Andoni del Olmo (not the old version!)

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Thank You.

I don`t think my USB to sata controller have a functionality to spin down.

Generally the NAS could be turned off overnight, let`s say between 1AM and 7AM. During the day, the disk could work, I don't mean saving energy, but saving disk usage. Maybe it would be better to turn off the spin down completely, leave the disks running?

• My OMV server runs 24/7/365 since I turned it up more than five years ago. The only time it was switched off was when the motherboard failed and it was replaced within three days. Other than for kernel updates it not rebooted. Drives can be hot swapped I have no reason to shut it off.

The drives are never spun down because in my opinion frequent drive starts and stops cause more wear and tear than leaving them run continuously.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I just wondering how to extend life of my disk. But I see is better to left them running all the time instead of spin down and than running again. This are disk recommend for NAS so theoreticly it should be not any problem for them.

So APM off? No spin down?

---edit

I set up APM to 254, AAM = disable. I see every hour parameter Start_Stop_Count and Load_Cycle_Count are increasing +1.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!