Resize File Device

• How do I resize the device highlighted in red in the screen shot below (See attachment)? When I click on YES nothing happens.

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• I don't understand why I can't get any help on the forum. Am I doing something wrong, or asking for advice on an unsupported topic, or possibly I'm in the wrong forum category? I welcome any initiative to be corrected on my errors. Just need a little help and understanding. Kind regards.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• You can't as the message states that's for resizing file systems on a Raid, you have selected a single block device

So what is the best thing for me to do? . . . Delete it and create a larger one from scratch?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Delete it and create a larger one from scratch

I'm assuming that what you have highlighted is a single drive or are you saying that's a partition on a drive, if the later then you would need to run gparted to extend it.

• it's a partition on a drive, . . . you would need to run gparted to extend it.

It's a partition on the WD4TBBlue. Hate to ask this but, where do I find/access gparted? Also, does [ . . . to extend it ] serve as another way of saying to [delete it] since I cannot resize it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hate to ask this but, where do I find/access gparted

The option I would suggest is to use a gparted live cd but you'll need a monitor etc to use it, there is an option in omv-extras kernel but read the information supplied.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With gparted you can resize a partition/filesystem if there is space available on the drive.

You can also reduce the size of one partition/filesystem and then increase the size of another partition/filesystem.

https://gparted.org/

As geaves mentioned you can either boot gparted live cd on the server instead of OMV, or you attach the drive to another computer (laptop, desktop) and boot the live cd there.

• With gparted you can resize a partition/filesystem if there is space available on the drive.

You can also reduce the size of one partition/filesystem and then increase the size of another partition/filesystem.

https://gparted.org/

As geaves mentioned you can either boot gparted live cd on the server instead of OMV, or you attach the drive to another computer (laptop, desktop) and boot the live cd there.

Thanks macom.

I'll go to work on this and see if I can figure it out. I would assume gparted could be placed onto a USB3.0 drive versus a CD and then plug it into my desktop to access the server downstairs; correct?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would assume gparted could be placed onto a USB3.0 drive versus a CD and then plug it into my desktop to access the server downstairs; correct?

You can boot gparted also from an USB stick, yes. But you need to have the drive on which you want to resize partition locally connected to that computer.

So either boot gparted on the server

or

connect the drive to you desktop and boot gparted on the desktop.

You can also use various other linux distros to run gparted on them.

• You can boot gparted also from an USB stick, yes. But you need to have the drive on which you want to resize partition locally connected to that computer.

So either boot gparted on the server

or

connect the drive to you desktop and boot gparted on the desktop.

You can also use various other linux distros to run gparted on them.

Okay, thanks again. I'll go to work on things. May take awhile. :D

• Backups I have. However, I have one more question and another minor thread to start before I begin on the whole mix of things which I have sought and received help on.

Is it practical, feasible, advisable to:

1. Shut down the OMV5 server/case
    2. Remove the WD4TBBlue
    3. Install the 4TB drive to my desktop PC motherboard
    4. Run Aomei Partition Assistant Professional rather than gparted and perform the partition resizing within Windows 10 Pro latest build?

• Seems it is not up to the task:

Pretty impressive name for a tool that cannot do much ;)

^^HA. Understood and agreed. I'll just be careful as I proceed with gparted.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!