SD-card backup

• Hello, after reading several threads, still my understanding is in trouble.

I am trying to use win32image, but it will accept only one partion for copy.

My SD-card looks like following, showing three partions...

mmcblk1 179:0 0 29.8G 0 disk

├─mmcblk1p1 179:1 0 64M 0 part /boot

├─mmcblk1p2 179:2 0 7.3G 0 part /

└─mmcblk1p3 179:3 0 22.1G 0 part

Does anybody know how to proceed...

Brgds. mopedfahrer

OMV 5.x , Odroid XU4 , external USB3 - Xystec-4-bay ,

• Hi, is the goal to have an image of the currently mounted SD card on a HDD?

If yes https://www.raspberrypi.org/fo…47568&hilit=backup+to+img has a working solution

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Hello mi-hol,

thanks for response.

Sorry for my unclear question.

Both, a copy of unplugged system sd-card, as well as sd-card in running system is suitable.

I was wondering, why win32-imager does not accept sd-card for cloning, instead is waiting for partitions.

And I have 3 on sd-card (boot, system and perhaps empty partition ?)...

I shall check your solution after sleeping...

• Hello,

have to go deaper in to image-backup; sounds quite good. Meanwhile have managed also a copy, using the "dd"-command.

Found also PC-Freeware1.10, called "HDDRawCopy (install+portable) which I want also to evaluate. Just to get the easiest possibility

• mopedfahrer I just learned that the plugin openmediavault-backup and selecting "dd" as method might be the easisest method to achieve your Goal. Have a look at https://github.com/openmediava…75#issuecomment-778485817 and provide feedback please.

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

Backup is easy with that plugin. Restore is another story. mopedfahrer if you want to use it, make sure to test the restore process as well.

IMHO creating a clone with usbimager or clonezilla or win32imager is much easier, not so comfortable, though.

• Backup is easy with that plugin. Restore is another story.

macom, would you mind to add the necessary steps for "restore" or at least the concerns to the GH issue? This would perhaps allow to improve the plugin but at least to update the doc with complete information

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is the super short version for dd and fsarchiver

RE: How to restore from an omv-backup?

here a long version for fsarchiver

How to restore OMV 4.X from backup-plugin to system SSD

Challenge is the large number of variables resulting in many scenarios to explain is to users with a large variance in Linux knowledge..

• amd64 vs arm
    • # of filesystems on the OS drive
    • headless or not
    • filesystem
    • device names (ssd/hdd vs. sd)
    • laptop/desktop with iOS, linux or windows available
    • location for the backup (internal single drive, internal raid, internal unionfs, external drive)
  • Hello

macom and mi-hol, thank you very much for hints, which I shall follow, of course.

But the reason, why the backup issue came up, is the "sporadic shutdown" of my Odroid.

With remove and new install of folder2ram I had no shutdown during last 3 days, but yesterday evening it was shutting down again.

I have to check that issue first...

(and come back here...)

• I also thought that Win32DiskImager is an easy way, but Windows doesn't recognize my SD card with OMV (debian installed via Petitboot), so I can't select anything to backup. With all my Raspberries with Libreelec or Batocera it works without problems. There it was also enough that only one partition is selected, the image is then always made from the entire card. I will try whether I make a small fat partition on my Debian card, so I can back up my card so.

- Odroid HC4 - Armbian - OMV5.x - 2x WD Red 4TB (without Raid) formatted with btrfs -

• macom, the reading is just running (lats about 3 hours with usb2). At least there was the whole sd-card as one device recognized, and not 3 partitions.

Somehow I have in my mind, that win32imager was same, because I have used it earlier, but not anymore.

Want to restore it on an other sd-card for test because of the shutdowns...

• How about testing usbimager?

So I have tested USB imager. Is actually good, especially the size of the backup - and also the speed. But the restore worked for me only on identically large cards. Win32diskimager can also restore on larger cards, which I do quite often - to then increase the partition in gparted.

- Odroid HC4 - Armbian - OMV5.x - 2x WD Red 4TB (without Raid) formatted with btrfs -

• Same problem with me. I have to agree with atwk20. I am using SanDisk in Odroid and tried to restore to Samsung, which has no been accepted. But win32imager is also accepting *.dd files to be written; but is also mocking about the different size (both are 32GB)

• Here is what I do to backup my running Pi SD-Card

HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• macom sorry not yet started as I fix my BMW R1100S currently :(

• So, next turn.

It is really not nice to hide the features. Since I have 3 partitions at OMV sd-card, Boot,System and unused or empty), I was confused using win32imager, since it accepted only one partition...

The "hidden" feature is, don't trust that at all, select one partition and get images of all three partitions, as it should.

Perhaps there is space for future versions...

So far I have tested the USBimager and I found also a tool called USB-image tool , which looks also good, but not yet testednow, when the win32imager is back in the game.

Now proceeding with the main problem, the sporadic shutdown of my Odroid XU4...

Thanks to all, who have participated here, Mopedfahrer/Kawa-ZRX1100

• mopedfahrer

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!