ZFS packages update issue (OMV 5.6.0.1)

• After disabling backports do we need to attempt to remove the packages that are conflicting as well or just move on to running those dpkg commands from spupuz? I also don't have the new proxmox kernel installed so I am presuming I should:

1. Disable backports
    2. Run dpkg commands (only for the ones it is complaining about or all of them?)
    3. Check for updates again and install all from gui (including the kernel), backports versions should be gone from the list there now?
    4. Reboot

Anything missing from that?

Code
    # dkms status
    zfs, 2.0.2, 5.4.78-2-pve, x86_64: installed

# zpool version
    zfs-2.0.2-1~bpo10+1
    zfs-kmod-2.0.2-1~bpo10+1

Out of interest, it looks like there are more than just the zfs related packages installed from backports so what'll happen to those?

• My ZFS installation went to borked after an update when backports was not enabled on my system. It stayed borked when I enabled backports. I tried flipping back and forth and a variety of other things last night. Backports now off again. Today, I uninstalled openmediavault-zfs, then installed it again and, after rebooting, everything is back to working.

Whatever dependency changes were added, or dependency conflicts resolved, worked. Thank you.

• I think I am in a good state now. I disabled backports, installed as much of the kernel and pve zfs packages as I could. Needed to force install a couple via the terminal. The zfs plugin was gone at one point and it also seemed to want to update the omvextras plugin too. Was able to install both and everything seems ok after a reboot with no new packages waiting to be installed.

I have some follow-up questions though...

1. What are the 'dkms status' warnings above complaining about and what should I do about it, if anything?
    2. Should I be trying to remove any of the above packages from backports that are still around? I'm mainly thinking of libnvpair3linux libuutil3linux libzfs4linux and libzpool4linux.
    3. Is zfs-dkms expected to come from backports? dkms status shows 2.0.2 and I guess I was expecting that to be 2.0.3 as well.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What are the 'dkms status' warnings above complaining about and what should I do about it, if anything

The dkms status came from a link from another mod who was having a different issue with zfs, this is the link

I believe what yours is telling you is that this -> zfs, 2.0.2, 5.4.98-1-pve, x86_64:is installed but it was built from this ->zfs, 2.0.2, 5.4.78-2-pve, x86_64: as the 78-2 kernel was the one in use at the time of your update.

Mine shows 0.8.6 which was the build version (dkms build version) in place at the time on my machine because I had reverted to a backup.

Is this a problem, I don't think so and whilst I have read that link making any changes might be counter productive due to the plugin.

One way around it 'might be' to export the pool, remove the plugin, uninstall dkms, then search for any residual folders for dkms and zfs and delete them, set the kernel to 98-1, reboot, then reinstall the plugin, this should then update dkms and build using the 98-1 kernel. Would any of that work? as I'm not one for crystal balls I do have a VM I could play around with later today

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do have a VM I could play around with later today

Well this was interesting, obviously something has changed, but I do know yesterday before the revised plugin came about I was attempting a few things to try and repair zfs, which didn't work. But after the revised plugin the pool was back just like everyone else's, pool confirmation;

But the output of dkms was blank ?(

So set 98-1 as the default kernel

Rebooted

Exported the pool

Uninstalled the zfs plugin

Run apt clean from omv-extras to remove zfs from the menu

Disabled the backports

Run apt clean again

Run apt purge --remove dkms this removed dkms from the system, checked from my windows machine using Win SCP

Reboot

Install zfs 5.0.6 plugin

Import pool -> output of zpool status

Output of dkms status

Code
     dkms status
    -bash: /usr/sbin/dkms: No such file or directory

This would suggest that dkms is not installed and used or the original kernel module is still being used, somewhere somehow.

I did not delete the /etc/zfs folder, probably because it contains the zpool cache. So it appears in 2.0.3 version dkms is not used, but in /usr/lib/modules there are folders for the 78-2 and 98-1, 98-1 contain a sub folder for zfs which I did not delete (missed them) :(

What I could do, is to try again but delete those zfs subfolders in /usr/lib/modules as there is a possibility that the plugin checks that the modules are there , if not it installs dkms and builds the kernel module.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What I could do, is to try again but delete those zfs subfolders in /usr/lib/modules as there is a possibility that the plugin checks that the modules are there , if not it installs dkms and builds the kernel module.

Well it doesn't, the plugin, if that zfs sub folder is deleted, errors during the install

EDIT: Update you need to install zfs-dkms, even if you install the plugin and get an error, so run apt install zfs-dkms this will install dkms and add the modules for zfs 2.0.3

then import the pool.

So if you want to build the modules for zfs 2.0.3 you will have to delete that zfs sub folder

• geaves Thanks for doing some more digging and sorry for the slow reply, I've not had a chance to look at this again until now.

Regarding deleting the zfs sub folder, where in the steps would one (or both?) of those folders need to be deleted and what should happen to docker instances or shares during those steps? I have 5.4.78-2-pve and 5.4.98-1-pve in /usr/lib/modules.

Additionally, it looks like there are some Proxmox repo updates again - a mixture of the kernel, headers, pve1 and pve2 packages. By upgrading to these (which I am holding off on for the moment ;)) would the issue end up resolving itself or is this a more 'sticky' situation?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Additionally, it looks like there are some Proxmox repo updates again - a mixture of the kernel, headers, pve1 and pve2 packages. By upgrading to these (which I am holding off on for the moment ;) ) would the issue end up resolving itself or is this a more 'sticky' situation

I've just had those come through on the VM, and installed them and it was OK, hold off on doing anything until I install those updates on my own server which I will do tomorrow, if mine goes wrong I have another USB flash drive ready to plug in :)

Deleting that zfs folder, this was OK on the VM, but I tried what I did on my main server, spent 4 hours on it and followed exactly what I did on the VM, the whole thing went down the toilet, anything I changed couldn't be reversed or reinstalled. Whatever else I did on the VM I could not replicate on my working server, back to the backup USB and install the updates incl. the new zfs plugin and I was back working, after that, shutdown and make another image backup.

PIA but it's all a learning curve :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

By upgrading to these (which I am holding off on for the moment ;) ) would the issue end up resolving itself or is this a more 'sticky' situation?

The upgrade problem wasn't caused by the proxmox repo. It was caused by the debian repos and the change of dependencies on the package in that repo. So, you should be able to upgrade the pve packages (I did earlier).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The upgrade problem wasn't caused by the proxmox repo. It was caused by the debian repos and the change of dependencies on the package in that repo. So, you should be able to upgrade the pve packages (I did earlier).

Yeah, I get that part. Despite disabling backports I still have some some of its packages installed:

I stripped out a few 'uninteresting' ones like firmware/microcode.

Now some of those look like they might get replaced with the new proxmox 2.0.3-pve2 versions but not zfs-dkms for example.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now some of those look like they might get replaced with the new proxmox 2.0.3-pve2 versions but not zfs-dkms for example.

Since proxmox has the zfs modules pre-compiled, it doesn't need zfs-dkms. That is why the plugin has an 'or' dependency. Just another reason why the proxmox kernel is better. No compiling and the version of the module matches the kernel exactly and is tested by Canonical/Ubuntu and Proxmox. This is a MUCH wider audience than Debian backports users.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Since proxmox has the zfs modules pre-compiled, it doesn't need zfs-dkms. That is why the plugin has an 'or' dependency. Just another reason why the proxmox kernel is better. No compiling and the version of the module matches the kernel exactly and is tested by Canonical/Ubuntu and Proxmox. This is a MUCH wider audience than Debian backports users.

ryecoaaron, we must disable Debian backports repo or we can use it again?

• Offizieller Beitrag

we must disable Debian backports repo or we can use it again?

I never disabled it on my system.

• The backports are disabled on mine.

w9WdO4XOp have just deployed the updates on my system and all's well :)

Did you have to force install any packages this time?

I'm seeing the same sort of held packages errors again:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!