Installation to a laptop?

• I'm wondering if anyone has experience installing OMV to a laptop?

The obvious advantage being that it has its own built-in UPS, but that assumes it can manage the battery, plus ideally be able to configure lid switch action (e.g., only put the monitor to sleep when the lid closes).

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• Well, I suppose if you forever are happy with a large heavy metal box some place near wherever the server is and a spare LCD hanging around for server maintenance, then it may seem pointless. Most workstation laptops have more than one drive built in with additional optional drive bays, plus docking station with eSATA.

OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul); Shuttle XPC SH67H3; Intel Core i5-2390T; 8 GB DDR3-1333 RAM; 128GB SanDisk Z400s SSD (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (primary storage); WD Red 2TB (backup and archive storage).

• Offizieller Beitrag

a spare LCD hanging around for server maintenance,

A monitor is not needed after the build. Maintenance can be done without a monitor, by SSH. In fact, I've built USB thumbdrives on a client and transferred them to the box intended to be a server.

Well, I suppose if you forever are happy with a large heavy metal box some place

My metal boxes are in a closet. I put Cat5 and power in the closet and done. A closet or a basement is an ideal location for a server.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience installing OMV to a laptop?

I've done it. The limiting factor becomes the bandwidth available, in the version of USB port available. USB2.X is too slow. USB3.0 is OK'ish but still bandwidth is restricted. USB3.1 and up is OK but if using multiple drives there are bandwidth contention issues between drives. This also means some kind of external drive dock, drive enclosure, or USB hub is required. That means extra power supplies are involved (that do not have an UPS) and they tend to be those cheap black consumer cubes with questionable spec's, that have few to no protections for the devices they power.

In the sum total, in my opinion, a micro or mini-server with roughly equal bandwidth to all drives (using SATA / SAS ports), with a decent power supply, and an UPS is the way to go.

• The heavy metal box I am referring to is the UPS, and I want to get rid of it.

The computer I am evaluating has an mSATA port, 2.5" SATA drive bay, plus optional drive bay. And, as I mentioned above, an eSATA port in the docking station.

A single storage SSD is all I need in my NAS. The only reason for external ports is backups of other devices.

The monitor is needed. I don't want to buy and sell one every three years when I need to upgrade.

For whatever reason, you are projecting your own use case and highly subjective opinions into my scenario, and it doesn't seem necessary or useful to my question.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't want to buy and sell one every three years when I need to upgrade.

If a monitor is needed, I use a client monitor. I wouldn't buy one

you are projecting your own use case and highly subjective opinions into my scenario, and it doesn't seem necessary or useful to my question.

What were you expecting? While dated, my experience comes from a good bit of IT (admin) and networking background. Further, while all opinions are subjective, labeling good practices as "highly subjective" is a stretch.

But, you're the judge of what is useful to your question. Good luck with that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I suppose if you forever are happy with a large heavy metal box some place near wherever the server is and a spare LCD hanging around for server maintenance, then it may seem pointless. Most workstation laptops have more than one drive built in with additional optional drive bays, plus docking station with eSATA.

Uh, no.

I have this magical thing w/ HDMI ports called a television. You might have one to. When I have to install an OS, etc.. I just move my server to the TV, install, then disconnect it and put it bac. The only possible issue is your router's proximity to the TV... I'm lucky and mine is near the TV so it's not an issue. If you're not, just buy a long enough ethernet cable to get to the router and when you're done, wind it back up till you need it again.

I think some of you specifically set out to make this stuff harder than it is, then get angry when people tell you you're doing so.

• Offizieller Beitrag

but that assumes it can manage the battery, plus ideally be able to configure lid switch action (e.g., only put the monitor to sleep when the lid closes).

OMV has no support for battery management or configuration of lid switch action by itself. But as OMV runs on Debian, you can configure it from the console.

There are some threads in this forum, where users used a laptop and asked for the lid action. Any guide for Debian (or most likely for Ubuntu) you find on the web should do.

• Uh, no.

I have this magical thing w/ HDMI ports called a television. You might have one to. When I have to install an OS, etc.. I just move my server to the TV, install, then disconnect it and put it bac. The only possible issue is your router's proximity to the TV... I'm lucky and mine is near the TV so it's not an issue. If you're not, just buy a long enough ethernet cable to get to the router and when you're done, wind it back up till you need it again.

I think some of you specifically set out to make this stuff harder than it is, then get angry when people tell you you're doing so.

What is lame is when people think they know what is best for others. I've been configuring servers in my home for 20 years, and the whole time I just grit my teeth and I'm not any more when some arrogant jerk thinks he knows what is best for the world because he has a bunch of internet points so he's going to tell everyone how to configure their servers. Every. Forum. Everywhere. has people like you who can't just answer a question. No, you have to order me on who to configure MY setup to be the way YOU like it. Eff off.

• Also, I don't own a TV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is lame is when people think they know what is best for others. I've been configuring servers in my home for 20 years, and the whole time I just grit my teeth and I'm not any more when some arrogant jerk thinks he knows what is best for the world because he has a bunch of internet points so he's going to tell everyone how to configure their servers. Every. Forum. Everywhere. has people like you who can't just answer a question. No, you have to order me on who to configure MY setup to be the way YOU like it. Eff off.

LOL, OK Karen... I've answered more questions here than you will ever know,

• Offizieller Beitrag

Dang! Thin skin! You post a question on the forum and then you don’t like what you get.

You can buy a 7” monitor on Amazon for $70. Probably cheaper on eBay. When you don’t need it you can hide behind the books in your bookcase. No TV? What are you, a Luddite?

Have a good day, and lighten up friend. And no “eff’s” on the forum. It’s not nice and betrays your raising.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, let's go back to the original question:

Installation to a laptop?

I'm wondering if anyone has experience installing OMV to a laptop?

Then people on the forum take the time to answer your question (where they obviously don't have to) and that's answered with the following?

What is lame is when people think they know what is best for others.

Remember, you asked the question.

This forum is, mostly, for assisting PC novices and intermediate users who are having problems or lack the knowledge to perform a specific task. When a simple question is asked, that's covered in the User Guide, the assumption is that the user is a novice or (take note) they could figure it out for themselves.

With that said, if the following is true (20 years), what happened in your case? (That's a rhetorical question.)

I've been configuring servers in my home for 20 years, and the whole time I just grit my teeth and I'm not any more when some arrogant jerk thinks he knows what is best for the world because he has a bunch of internet points so he's going to tell everyone how to configure their servers.

An OMV build is 15 to 20 minutes - easy. Build OMV on a thumbdrive, and your Laptop question is answered without even disturbing the boot drive. But I suppose it's even easier to post a rudimentary question, thereafter "gritting your teeth" because forum users aren't gifted enough to divine your 20 years of experience.

In the bottom line, as asked, the original question has been answered. Since there's no place for this thread to go, that's good, and very little to be learned by the casual reader, this tread is closed.

• crashtest

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!