OMV-Backup plugin

• Hello. Some feedback on the OMV backup plugin.

Seems to work as advertised.

The dd version backs up the entire system disk, used and empty blocks.

In VirtualBox where I wanted to test it before putting on my running OMV5, it took 800 sec (13 min) to back up the 16 GB VBox drive. Only 3.5 MB of that space has data.

It worked at around 9 MB/sec in the beginning, presumably where the data was, and around 18 MB/sec for the second half which presumably was empty.

For a small system disk without a lot of empty space, seems to make sense.

For my live system, which has the OS on a 128 GB SSD, that would/could take a really long time backing up a lot of empty space. Unless the SSD is really superfast through all that emptiness, but i don't think I want to try it. In case folks want to know, I put OMV on that size SSD because it was the smallest/cheapest I could buy at this time at the local store (just $22), and more space allows more load leveling and longer life.

Going forward, I will probably use something like Clonezilla offline, which archives only used blocks. If I am correct in figuring that to dd restore the OS would require external boot media anyhow (yes? could add to documentation) then it might was well be Clonezilla or similar.

I also notice that the online documentation in the section about backup strategy and OS backup seems to focus on Rsync and I didn't find any mention of this plugin in that section (a logical location to me for at least a mention or link). Not sure if that is because of the above issues with dd and preference for Rsync, or that just hadn't had time to update the documentation. Apologies if I missed it in that section.

Thanks for listening, happy father's day all

IMF

• Offizieller Beitrag

I will probably use something like Clonezilla offline, which archives only used blocks. If I am correct in figuring that to dd restore the OS would require external boot media anyhow (yes? could add to documentation) then it might was well be Clonezilla or similar.

clonezilla offline will create the best backup but if you only want to backup used blocks, fsarchiver and borg both do that.

As for a preference on rsync, that is because the thread was probably old and the plugin used to only have rsync.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I used "dd full disk" too ( use dd to clone the entire drive to a compressed image file) on my RPi to safeguard a planned upgrade but the window closed after some long time hence I don't know if it completed successfully.

Is there a way to see a log or check the compressed image file for completion?
    I've opened image file with 7-zip on Windows and that succeeded.
    Is that a good enough indicator for a good image?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't log. Maybe I will add some. If there is no omv-backup process, it should be done.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0.1

• it should be done

well I was looking for a reliable success or failure check. how would a "should" help to get there?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

well I was looking for a reliable success or failure check

That would come with logging. But I don't remember the last time dd failed without a serious hardware problem. Strange how this plugin has been around 9 years without people needing this.

how would a "should" help to get there?

wtf. Do you want me to say if there is no process, it IS done?

• Strange how this plugin has been around 9 years without people needing this.

there have been several post of users in the past that I remember. Do I need to dig them out in order to be heard?

• Offizieller Beitrag

there have been several post of users in the past that I remember. Do I need to dig them out in order to be heard?

If you do, I guarantee I won't change anything. I understand you think things need to change but every time you want something, it becomes a long drawn out process. If you don't like the plugin, don't use it. I offered to add logging. If you still don't like it, too damn bad.

• I used "dd full disk" too ( use dd to clone the entire drive to a compressed image file) on my RPi to safeguard a planned upgrade but the window closed after some long time hence I don't know if it completed successfully.

I've opened image file with 7-zip on Windows and that succeeded.
    Is that a good enough indicator for a good image?

Hi everybody, newbie here.

Excuse my ignorance, but if i need to restore my system (i use ddfull and it creates the .gz and also the other files - blkid, fdisk, grub, grubparts, and packages) and say I need to burn these into a new sd, am I supposed to burn only the gz file? all of them? in what order?

I keep a spare sd card for that purpose, my first attempt was not successful. any tips?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!