AdGuard on Portainer + DNS on Asus router = ads are not blocked on WiFi devices (Android, LG B8 webOS)

• Hello,

I have configured AdGuard on my OMV/Portainer using below video tutorial:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

On my Asus router - RT-AC85P I set my OMV address IP under LAN/DHCP Server/DNS and WINS settings section in field IP of DNS server (there is one additional field for WINS Server but nothing more (as primary and secondary DNS server IP). Everything else was set as TechnoDadLife said on his video.

On my Windows 10 machine (connected to my router via ethernet cable) ads are blocked very well except ads on YouTube videos and on some webpages, which I am not using anyway - previously I was using AdGuard windows version with paid subscription and it works better than OMV version. Maybe there is a possibility to connect my AdGuard subscription (it is a lifetime subscription for one device) with OMV AdGuard version? Or just use it on my router directly to block all ads on my entire network?

Anyway, blocking ads on my Android devices and LG B8 with webOS (on YouTube) are not working. Please anyone help with that.

• godzinilla

Hat den Titel des Themas von „AdGuard on Portainer + DNS on Asus router = ads are not blocked on WiFi devices (Android, LB B8 webOS)“ zu „AdGuard on Portainer + DNS on Asus router = ads are not blocked on WiFi devices (Android, LG B8 webOS)“ geändert.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe there is a possibility to connect my AdGuard subscription (it is a lifetime subscription for one device) with OMV AdGuard version

No, as this is not an 'OMV AdGuard version' OMV has nothing to do with AdGuard and vise versa, just google blocking youtube ads using adguard and you'll find some answers.

• Sounds like your wifi devices are not using the correct DNS. I would check that on one of them.

In the other hand technodads videos are always just the very very basic config. Thats why I dont like them that much. Maybe the way he configured it does not work on your environment or he forgot to explain certain settings.

• No, as this is not an 'OMV AdGuard version' OMV has nothing to do with AdGuard and vise versa, just google blocking youtube ads using adguard and you'll find some answers.

You surely know what I meant....

Sounds like your wifi devices are not using the correct DNS. I would check that on one of them.

In the other hand technodads videos are always just the very very basic config. Thats why I dont like them that much. Maybe the way he configured it does not work on your environment or he forgot to explain certain settings.

I thought I need to configure my router only to point to my DNS server. He said that DNS IP address on router need to be set to IP address of OMV machine. Or maybe it need to be set to AdGuard IP instead (127.0.0.1 ? What about DNS IP address set on OMV? There is 1.1.1.1).

Additionaly I have checked my information about my WiFi connection on my Android phone and under DNS IP it is pointing to my router IP address and OMV machine IP address.

• First of all. The IP of your AdGuard is not 127.0.0.1. 127.0.0.1 is just a pseudo IP for any network device to call itself. Your Adguard IP is most likely the IP of OMV (depends on configuration but if technodad says the Router DNS setting should point to OMV than thats how he configured it)

If your Router is the DHCP Server that is correct. The DNS setting of OMV can be 1.1.1.1. But here you already see the problem of technodad. He just does not explain what you are actually doing and why. So let me explain what you actually did. Your Router is the DHCP Server of your local network. That means any device that uses IPv4 and DHCP will ask your Router for a IP address. Your router then takes an address that is free and assigns / passes it to the device. Additionally, your router now tells the device: Hey, in the network there is a DNS server at the address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (OMVs address). So for these devices, DNS requests go over Adguard now and Adguard can filter eg ads. But think about it, what if you sit infront of your OMV server and try to reach a resource with ads?

As you mentioned, OMV is configured to use DNS 1.1.1.1. So it bypasses Adguard. On OMV that is okay because you are not browsing there anyway. But it is also possible that someone configured his notebook to use DNS 1.1.1.1. What happens? That notebook will just ignore Adguard, no matter if in your network or not. The second point is that we are talking about IPv4. I dont know if or how Adguard can work with IPv6 and how to do so. But I suppose technodad ignored IPv6 and only configured IPv4. So what do you think happens when a device connects via IPv6? How should it use Adguard? Long story short: Check your wifi devices what DNS they use. If they have entered 1.1.1.1 it obviously cannot use Adguard. If they use IPv6 it may be necessary to change the IPv6 setting to link local.

• HannesJo thanks for your explanations.

So:

1. My router is indeed DHCP server but I set IP of my OMV server and my Windows machine to static IP. IP6 is disabled on my router.

2. OMV IP4 was set to DHCP as default but I have changed it (as TDL said) to Static with IP given in router settings, gateway is set to my router IP. IP6 is disabled for OMV.

3. Internet card on my Windows machine shows IP4 adres given in the router settings. It also shows an IP6 address but it is marked as local IP6. For DNS there are IPs of my router and my OMV server.

4. For the phone - connected to the 2.4 WiFi from my router - there is IP4 from DHCP server, gateway is my router IP and DNS are my router IP and OMV IP (the same as on Windows). There is also an IP6 address visible.

• Hmm that sounds good so far. Especially when your phone shows the correct DNS it should use it. Is it the same with other devices connected via wifi? Can you go to Adguard and check the devices using it? I unfortunately don't know Adguard since I use Pihole. On Pihole there is a network overview that lists all network devices and if they use the correct DNS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Especially when your phone shows the correct DNS it should use it

What it does and what it's supposed to do are two different things :)

As I suggested in my post doing a google search will give the answer, the PC is using a browser, the phone and TV are probably using the youtube app, (TV's are usually Android driven). The app behaves differently to a browser, but in the information I found there is a workaround

• Hmm that sounds good so far. Especially when your phone shows the correct DNS it should use it. Is it the same with other devices connected via wifi? Can you go to Adguard and check the devices using it? I unfortunately don't know Adguard since I use Pihole. On Pihole there is a network overview that lists all network devices and if they use the correct DNS.

That is more funnier that it sounds. Yestarday I was added more server addresses for 'main DNS servers' in AdGuard settings. By default it looks like this:

Code
    https://dns10.quad9.net/dns-query

And I have added some addresses found on AdGuard website, finally it looks like this:

Code
    https://dns10.quad9.net/dns-query
    tls://dns-family.adguard.com

And with these settings ads are still showing on my Android device, but adult websites are blocked due to AdGuard Parent filters set it AG settings Oo So it looks like it partialy working, but why just partialy... :(

Additionaly I have facing some issues with Android Apple Music not loading data, which are gone using LTE data.

I have attached screenshoot of AG Dashboard. As you can see it looks like everything is working correctly. On the 'Top Clients' section there are all my home clients. Address of my OMV server is x.50.150, my windows PC is x.50.100, my Android device x.50.56 - there are requests from it too.

What it does and what it's supposed to do are two different things :)

As I suggested in my post doing a google search will give the answer, the PC is using a browser, the phone and TV are probably using the youtube app, (TV's are usually Android driven). The app behaves differently to a browser, but in the information I found there is a workaround

I am using Chrome on my Android device. All with default settings. For YouTube I am using Vanced version which has built-it adblocker so it is not a problem for me. Main problem are ads in YouTube on my TV and ads on Android devices (mostly in Chrome, but in other apps too).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am using Chrome on my Android device. All with default settings. For YouTube I am using Vanced version which has built-it adblocker so it is not a problem for me. Main problem are ads in YouTube on my TV and ads on Android devices (mostly in Chrome, but in other apps too)

I don't have Android I have an iPhone, if I use Chrome to watch youtube it automatically loads the mobile version as the address bar shows m.youtube.com. Watching one of TechnoDadLife videos on my iPhone I get an ad at the beginning of the video which I can skip after a set time, watching the same video on my PC I get nothing and I am using PiHole under DietPi on a RPi. Both the iPhone and the PC are using PiHole as the DNS server.

What I'm saying it's how the mobile version of a website works, unless another user on here that uses AdGuard has a specific setting or ad db that they are using to get round this your answer is not in here as your set up appears to be OK. You'd be better served looking at the AdGuard forum or their knowledge base.

• Yeah that sounds like Adguart is being used but the ad you are talking about is perhaps just not on your blocklist or the app doesn’t even use DNS. It’s also possible it uses a direct ip or the ad is loaded from a Ressource that is needed for the service. Additionally there are lots of blocking lists that are way too strict. Some months ago I was suddenly not able to load podcasts anymore because some of my lists were shitty.

• Offizieller Beitrag

4. For the phone - connected to the 2.4 WiFi from my router - there is IP4 from DHCP server, gateway is my router IP and DNS are my router IP and OMV IP

I am guessing that Adguard works similar to Pi Hole (I’ve never used Adguard) but with PiHole you enter ONLY that one address for your DNS in all of your devices. You should have only one address - the address of your DNS. if you have a second address, that allows for a path to bypass the ad blocking of PiHole - or in your case Adguard. Do not include your router’s IP in your devices’ DNS settings. Someone above may have mentioned this already but a quick scan didn’t reveal that to me, or I may be mistaken as to the similarities between Adguard and PiHole. Anyone?

• Surely the beauty of PiHole is you change the DNS on the router so no need to do so all your devices?

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Surely the beauty of PiHole is you change the DNS on the router so no need to do so all your devices?

Not All devices, only devices with static ip's.

From the Guide:

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Didn't know that, I have two Windows 10 desktops with fixed IPs and PiHole works with them. Only device in the house I have changed is my wife's ipad as she likes ads :)

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• So I have reconfigured all my network devices to have:

- static IPs,

- DNS set to OMV IP,

- second DNS (for devices which has that option) to default AdGuard DNS 94.140.14.14 found on their website,

- router DNS is cleared now, DHCP is still on.

With these settings, in YouTube:

- on my PC with Chrome web browser ads during playing videos on are still displayed,

- the same for my LG B8 TV with webOS system (it has dedicated app),

- and the same for all configured phones (also dedicated apps)

Moreover:

- ads during viewing relations in Instagram, Facebook app are not blocked,

- ads while playing games are blocked correctly (and when I try to start an in-game advertisement by myself it is also not loading),

About the regular websites looks like not all ads are blocked (on all devices). But overall it looks like AdGuard is working there.

• With these settings, in YouTube:

- on my PC with Chrome web browser ads during playing videos on are still displayed,

- the same for my LG B8 TV with webOS system (it has dedicated app),

- and the same for all configured phones (also dedicated apps)

Blocking YouTube ads isn't possible with Adguard (or any other adblocking solution).

To get rid of ads you need a "special" version of YouTube like Vanced but that only works on Android devices.

Or buy a cheap YouTube Premium subscription in India. It will cost you less than 2 dollars a month and you will get YouTube Music on top.

• Blocking YouTube ads isn't possible with Adguard (or any other adblocking solution).

To get rid of ads you need a "special" version of YouTube like Vanced but that only works on Android devices.

Or buy a cheap YouTube Premium subscription in India. It will cost you less than 2 dollars a month and you will get YouTube Music on top.

Thanks, I was waiting for this kind of reply :) I am using Vanced on my phone so this is no problem for me; on Windows Chrome there is nice addon for blocking YT ads too. So I need to look out for some solution specified for the LG webOS now.

About YT Premium - would it be working on current account (I am in Google One right now), or I need a new account (created using India VPN or so?)?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!