Getting closer to a "standard" install after upgrade

• Hi,

I have an OMV Server running for several years now which was upgraded from OMV3 to OMV4 to OMV5 (don`t know if I even started with OMV2).

Everything is working fine, but but the system suffers from it's legacy:

• old partitions mounted at /media/<UUID> new ones at /srv/disk-by...
    • /sharedfolders/ bind-mounts for SMB-shares
    • (don't know what else has changed in the mean time)

Can anyone give a pointer / hint how to get a layout which is closer to a fresh OMV5 install. I am not afraid to go to the console or modfy config. files manually.

As I do have several settings configured I would not like to do a fresh install and re-configure everything.

• old partitions mounted at /media/<UUID> new ones at /srv/disk-by...

• use symlinks
    • unmount the filesystem and mount it again, then it will be mounted with /srv/dev-disk-by mountpoint

/sharedfolders/ bind-mounts for SMB-shares

This is for all shared folders. Not only those used for SMB.

The feature can be enabled or disabled, as you like

(don't know what else has changed in the mean time)

Can't think of anything else that is significant.

• It's only OMV (lot's of shares, rsync / rsnapshot jobs, Users with passwords, ...), other services are dockerized and can be moved to my liking.

I can not unmount the volume (using OMV) as I have several shares on it. Any idea how to do it on the command line?

How to disable the bind mounts for sharedfolders?

• Code
    omv-env set OMV_SHAREDFOLDERS_DIR_ENABLED NO
    omv-salt stage run prepare
    omv-salt deploy run systemd

After that you can delete the /sharedfolders folder and it will not show up again.

That worked, but I had to reboot to remove the mounts and than

Code
    cd /sharedfolders
    rmdir *
    cd ..
    rmdir sharedfolders

For anyone doing the same: delete does not mean rm-rf in this case!

• You would have to manually edit config.xml and deploy the changes. But it is not easy as you have to change all the shared folders as well.

Easier to use symlinks.

Doesn't look that bad:

First mount is the file system ,

second mount is the NFS share

and the third is a optional parameter for an mysql database.

I will give it a try tomorrow.

• gderf might have some additional topics regarding OP

I would say it's probably not worth the effort to clean this up unless symlinks are good enough. There is also the possibility of how disk are identified, by-label or by-uuid, in addition the mountpoint locations. Make sure you have a verified to be restorable backup of your OMV system disk before trying to fix this.

If you are ever going to do a fresh install from scratch, the disks should wind up in /srv automatically. I would remove any disk labels first though to be sure that they are all mounted by-uuid and not by-label.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 16GB ECC RAM.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!