my omv 6 nas isnt saving anything or doing updates.

• hi so i get this error when i try to update or a similar error when i try to save everything is there anyway you can help me?

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --fix-broken --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" upgrade 2>&1' with exit code '100': E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 11941 (apt-get)

E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it?

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --fix-broken --fix-missing --auto-remove --allow-unauthenticated --show-upgraded --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" upgrade 2>&1' with exit code '100': E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 11941 (apt-get)

E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it? in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/apt.inc:217

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): Engined\Rpc\Apt->Engined\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusfY...', '/tmp/bgoutputaI...')

#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/apt.inc(221): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))

#2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Apt->upgrade(NULL, Array)

#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('upgrade', NULL, Array)

#5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Apt', 'upgrade', NULL, Array, 1)

#6 {main}

• also the other thing i would like to ask is why i cant connect to smb with my windows 11 laptop i have to start it manually and when i try to login with my credentials its saying my username/ password isnt correct.

• E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it?

votdev , I seem to remember many questions about this specific error.

Would it be feasible to catch this error and output a "user friendly" message?
    Most newbies are confused by the part after "OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command "

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• what does it mean tho? like yes im new and confused ive spent more then 24hrs trying to look through forums and it wont save or auto start smb and my credentials are wrong according to windows but they are exactly the same.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most newbies are confused by the part after "OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command "

Leaving aside the fact that such an test operation is not atomic and the database could be locked 1ms later, i will see what i can do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Done in openmediavault 6.0.3, see https://github.com/openmediava…5644fc9a304ea3ca41969f300.

• Done in openmediavault 6.0.3,

Please note: edited post with updated messages and new requirement!

Great to see!

Now another area for this type of improvement would be in "Update Management" related scripts.

Top candidates would be from my view the following messages:

Note: same localized messages would need to be considered too!

"Connecting to ... failed: Network is unreachable"

"Target ... is configured multiple times in ..."

"The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available"

"W: Failed to fetch ... 404 Not Found"

should we collect them in a github issue and address them all in one go?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can do that, but i can tell you that i will not implement that because this is 'shoot sparrows with cannons'. Parsing the command output to create helpful error messages is not what OMV is going to do.

• will not implement ... Parsing the command output to create helpful error messages

fair point and the reason I asked here :)

Downside of the decision is a flood of forum posts related to the mentioned error message by newbies around the Christmas break time.
    Just look at last years peak to predict what will happen.

Maybe there is an alternative (i.e. REST service) to query/trigger apt?
    This would allow to improve usability without parsing command output

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe there is an alternative (i.e. REST service) to query/trigger apt?

The UI already uses something equivalent; RPC, known long before REST becomes popular. But i don't think this is something for common users.

However you twist and turn it and build a better API, finally this would not bring any benefit because a REST or RPC endpoint will simply call the usual APT commands which results into the same output and behaviour.

• a REST or RPC endpoint will simply call the usual APT commands which results into the same output and behaviour.

well I'm not familiar with APT good enough hence I'll need to stay away from technical details, but executing "the usual APT commands" is not what I had in mind.

The analogy I've in mind is the Windows Update process and the general design concept "don't overload an inexperienced user with details s/he won't understand"

If APT doesn't provide a lower level API, then the concept outlined above wont work

• Offizieller Beitrag

Coming back to OP:

also the other thing i would like to ask is why i cant connect to smb with my windows 11 laptop i have to start it manually and when i try to login with my credentials its saying my username/ password isnt correct.

There are some trouble shouting guide and How-Tos related to this

[HOW-TO] Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10 and Microsoft Servers

[HOW-TO] Connect to OMV SMB shares with Windows 10

Windows shares / samba Trouble shooting

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!