OMV5 - Privileges for multiple users - problem

• What I did not explain before: Permissions when creating the file share (Freigegebene Ordner):

Admin and User r/w, others read.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay Zoki , I said a long time ago that you are a crack. ;)

All that remains is to reproduce this on the OP's system.

Could mounting the folders on the Windows command line made a difference?

• All that remains is to reproduce this on the OP's system.

Could mounting the folders on the Windows command line made a difference?

No, i just used the command line so I can do cut-and-paste, but tried with with Explorer too.

Reroducing this should be easy, starting from a fresh directory and new users. Then the OP has to compare, what he configured differently on the existing ones. Too less information available on this for me to analyze.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• In that video the diectory is not created by OMV, but inside an already shared directory inheriting settings, but the settings in OMV look good.
    The error is here:

therealbeda is trying to mount a directory inside a share /Nas he is not allowed to access.
    The correct "Ordner" would be //192.168.178.100/NAS2 or //192.168.178.100/testfolder the shares wich were created in the video-

I bet it works is you use the correct shares.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have nothing useful to offer here but I just want to compliment all of you still using Windows. As someone who's not used Windows regularly since XP.. I was pretty much lost midway through the 1st page. Everyone says Windows is easier than Linux.. I don't think I've ever saw a 3 page thread on setting up an nfs share. :)

This thread has been like watching "Linus Linux Challenge" but in reverse for me.

• therealbeda is trying to mount a directory inside a share /Nas he is not allowed to access.

The correct "Ordner" would be //192.168.178.100/NAS2 or //192.168.178.100/testfolder the shares wich were created in the video-

I bet it works is you use the correct shares.

Ok I've read some tutorials and set up everything again, new users, new shares, new samba and I did it the way you (and also chente ) said, I mounted //192.168.178.100/Obi and it works.

So in conclusion I can say that my directories management was wrong, WinSCP helped me a lot to know what the structure is here.

Just for the future, if anybody wants to know what I did:

I fixed my directories, so now I have </srv/dev-disk-by-PASTE UUID HERE/Nas> and also </srv/dev-disk-by-PASTE UUID HERE/Obi>

Created 2 users, Tobi and Obi. Then shared both folders, here an example for Obi:

I used the default path as chente told me before.

Tobi has privileges for both folders, Obi has privileges for folder Obi only.

Last thing was to do the samba share:

I just selected the shared folder "Obi" [on /dev/md0, Obi], everything else on default.

Not exactly what my original question/problem was but that was because of my fucked up directories and shared folder stuff. Needed to understand how the directories management works in OMV first.

Thanks to you guys for being so patient :)

• just for the fun of it and for the next one with this problem. Can you try to mount the correct shares and tell if it works for you?

• I have nothing useful to offer here but I just want to compliment all of you still using Windows. I don't think I've ever saw a 3 page thread on setting up an nfs share. :)

This thread has been like watching "Linus Linux Challenge" but in reverse for me.

You can not ban windows from your house, when in school they assume everybody is using windows.

But yes, problem was the user interface of windows :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can not ban windows from your house, when in school they assume everybody is using windows.

But yes, problem was the user interface of windows :)

no kids.. :). I use Windows at work.. but.. it's very limited in use (basically logging into our Intranet, writing reports, tracking how often I have to kick someones ass, etc.). My nights are pretty much "Start menu, Edge, Intranet" and then emailing.

But what you're saying is what I try to explain to people... Linux isn't hard.. it's just people have been Window'd their whole life.. and it's not Windows and they don't go into it with a mindset they have to completely relearn to use their PC. I use my parents as an example.. When I built their first computer.. I guess it's been about 14yrs ago.. They had no clue about anything. They wanted to email, shop online, probably pay some bills, facebook w/ the grandkids/family, and youtube and other light surfing. This could be done on anything.. but they'd never turned a computer on at almost 55yrs old, let alone know the difference between Windows and Linux.

Started them with Xubuntu.. At first, the remote sessions were frequent... but it rarely had anything to do with Linux... About 2-3yrs ago, I built what will probably be their last PC after that one finally bit the dust. They still have no clue about Linux.. they just know how to do what they want to do. I honestly can't remember the last time I had to remote their PC to help them with something. The advantage of course is I wasn't constantly dealing with viruses, malware, etc.

It is funny to see how they have evolved though.. Back then.. if it didn't come on Comcast, they didn't watch it. Now they have no cable service, have a Firestick with Hulu, Amazon Prime and Netflix and an Antennae .. which seems to more than take care of their entertainment needs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have nothing useful to offer here but I just want to compliment all of you still using Windows. As someone who's not used Windows regularly since XP.. I was pretty much lost midway through the 1st page. Everyone says Windows is easier than Linux.. I don't think I've ever saw a 3 page thread on setting up an nfs share. :)

Unfortunately I am forced to use certain applications for work that I can only make them work in Windows, among them AutoCAD. The alternatives in Linux are ... TERRIBLE. More than once I have thought of installing Ubuntu or Mint and virtualizing windows for these applications. I always end up thinking that it would end up with more complications.

So I will continue to suffer this detestable S.O. for better or for worse until I retire.;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately I am forced to use certain applications for work that I can only make them work in Windows, among them AutoCAD. The alternatives in Linux are ... TERRIBLE. More than once I have thought of installing Ubuntu or Mint and virtualizing windows for these applications. I always end up thinking that it would end up with more complications.

So I will continue to suffer this detestable S.O. for better or for worse until I retire.;)

Yeah the corporate world.. If you're not doing behind the scenes stuff (server management, IT, etc..) you're probably dealing with Windows w/o much choice... although I think ryecoaaron mentioned where he works they have almost 200 Ubuntu clients. Not sure if they said bye bye to Microsoft, or if those are in addition to Windows.. sounds heavenly to me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks to you guys for being so patient :)

There is nothing to be thankful for, for me this is entertainment.

I think the same as Zoki it would be nice if you tried to follow the instructions and post it here. The next person who has this problem will know that it works.

• KM0201

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • KM0201

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

But what you're saying is what I try to explain to people... Linux isn't hard.. it's just people have been Window'd their whole life.. and it's not Windows and they don't go into it with a mindset they have to completely relearn to use their PC

I would agree with that, my wife has used nothing else and with the debacle of W11 her laptop will not upgrade, so it's either move to Linux (tried Zorin which is more Windows ish) or buy another laptop. Me I'd be happy to move to Linux if I could get Microsoft 365 for Home to work with it, currently on my to test list.

But this whole thread has had me baffled as to the question I've tried to answer to myself, why share a sub folder, why not just create another share (independent), 'cos in Windows this is perfectly doable. I also cannot understand why Windows users have to map a Linux share to a drive letter. This came up on here quite some time ago where a user had been hit with Ransomware on his OMV server :huh: no he was a Windows user that had mapped his OMV shares to a drive letter on his Windows machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would agree with that, my wife has used nothing else and with the debacle of W11 her laptop will not upgrade, so it's either move to Linux (tried Zorin which is more Windows ish) or buy another laptop. Me I'd be happy to move to Linux if I could get Microsoft 365 for Home to work with it, currently on my to test list.

This came up on here quite some time ago where a user had been hit with Ransomware on his OMV server :huh: no he was a Windows user that had mapped his OMV shares to a drive letter on his Windows machine.

I honestly don't even know what Microsoft 365 for Home is.. but it sounds awesome! ^^. I think Windows 11 is really pushing folks to look for a change. If the Linux community as a whole gets it's act together, could work well. I've had some friends ask me about a possible switch and I've suggested Mint w/ Cinnamon to all of them as a trial.

I think I saw someone's OMV share getting attacked by ransomware just as you explained not to long ago, over on reddit.

Edit: found this one.. Need help securing my network

I wish he'd have followed up, but I"m assuming gderf is right (he usually is..lol)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've had some friends ask me about a possible switch and I've suggested Mint w/ Cinnamon to all of them as a trial

Have a look at Zorin for Windows users it has the look and feel of Windows.

Microsoft 365 for Home is MS Office, £75 p.a. with 1TB of cloud storage per user for 5 users, so for our family it's worth it, and the wife and daughter use Windows and MS Office at work.

Edit: found this one.. Need help securing my network

That's similar to one I'm thinking of, with Ransomware and viruses they attack a drive, one reason why I never ever map OMV shares.

We had a Ransomware attack at school on one of the VM's used for remote connection for Teachers, turned out there was a vulnerability in MS IIS Server, we just restored from backup and made the necessary changes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have a look at Zorin for Windows users it has the look and feel of Windows.

This thread is probably derailing a bit but I have an issue with versions of Linux that try to have a look and feel of Windows. Then every newbie thinks, "It's just like Windows".. Nothing against Zorin, I'm sure it's a fine OS... but I'd rather the graphical interface.. while maybe similar (menu driven like Cinnamon, Xfce, KDE, vs whatever Gnome 3 is) not "THAT" close. Short of menus and clicking things.. that is where the similarities end. Next thing you know because it "looks like Windows" they are trying to install .exe's, dont' know what Wine is, etc.

I remember back with Lindows, and Linspire/FreeSpire.. where they went to extreme to look like Windows.. but again, that's where the similarities end (except Linspire/FreeSpire.. as their performance was HORRID).

• What "correct shares" do you mean?

therealbeda In your video you tried to mount a subdirectory of the /Nas share

In Post #105 i tried to explan what the correct share was.

In the field "Ordner" enter

• //192.168.178.100/NAS2 (for user Tobi2) or
    • //192.168.178.100/testfolder (for the new brother account)

Once this works, if you still want to share a sub-folder with your brother and your brother has managed to mount the share OBI successfully, go to "Freigegebene Ordner" and change the location of the share OBI back to Nas/OBI.

• therealbeda In your video you tried to mount a subdirectory of the /Nas share

In Post #105 i tried to explan what the correct share was.

In the field "Ordner" enter

• //192.168.178.100/NAS2 (for user Tobi2) or
    • //192.168.178.100/testfolder (for the new brother account)

Once this works, if you still want to share a sub-folder with your brother and your brother has managed to mount the share OBI successfully, go to "Freigegebene Ordner" and change the location of the share OBI back to Nas/OBI.

Doing a rsyncjob right now, I'll try it later and edit this post.

Edit: Did not work, when trying to mount the sub, windows is telling me the device I want to mount is not available anymore. Don't know but I don't care.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!