USB Live system for emergency use

• Sometimes my OMV does not boot and then I need to attach a monitor to find out what is wrong. For several days I now tried to build a Live USB stick with SSH to use as an emergency boot medium.

It seems not to be so straightforward. Normal live systems do not persist changes. But to use it on a headless machine I need the live system to have SSH enabled. That's why I tried to make a persistant installation live system. This worked out but it is extremely slow. Maybe it's due to my slow stick.

I just wonder how do you cope with this? What is your emergency strategy if the server does not boot up?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't have this issue very often but I will pull the boot SD or usb stick and check it out on my Linux laptop. But for my server without ipmi, I will connected a monitor. My server with ipmi is great.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• why don't you install OMV on the stick and add the flashmemory plugin?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another option - https://pikvm.org/

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Another option - https://pikvm.org/

Nice, but can be pricey if you want it prebuilt.

I actually considered it as a possible workaround for the mangled java problem with my new server's ipmi but decided I could get along without that component and use the text based SOL and what does work in the SOC web server.

Not having that java working means things like OMV's add in Clonezilla, RescueCD and Gparted will not work thru ipmi but if you can't even boot, those things are broken too.

Currently I can multiboot OMV 5 or 6 because I left my OMV 5 USB stick plugged in. I did have to change the filesystem UUID on it and modifying grub.cfg on the OMV 5 stick. Multibooting can't work with two boot disks that have the same UUID. Learned all about that years ago on my retired ASRock box. That was a real head scratcher.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I actually considered it as a possible workaround for the mangled java problem with my new server's ipmi but decided I could get along without that component and use the text based SOL and what does work in the SOC web server.

I bought one because my primary server (Asrock Rack board with xeon e5-2697v3 and 128GB ram) hasn't had the ipmi firmware updated in four years. I can't get the java remote console to work with any version of java. So, instead of replacing the board (expensive), I got the PiKVM. I was finally going to put it together this weekend. I'll let you know how it works : )

Not having that java working means things like OMV's add in Clonezilla, RescueCD and Gparted will not work thru ipmi but if you can't even boot, those things are broken too.

I use ipmi a lot at work. So, it is tough not having working ipmi at home.

• I made what I thought was a valiant effort to get the java working on my new to me Chenbro. Quite a few posts about that problem in widespread forums ever since these units hit the surplus market. But not one working solution.

More than a thousand have been sold by one ebay seller alone. This make me wonder how many of those buyers even know what ipmi/SOL/and java redirection console are? Either very, very few or they all know about it and have it working perfectly so they don't visit forums looking for solutions to problems they don't have. LOL.

Please do let us know how that PiKVM works out. I keep my server in my gun safe due to its content value me being so very high. I really don't want to add another fire ignition source in there, but maybe I can add some sort of self sensing and self deploying halon fire extinguisher in there too? And a webcam that talks to my cell phone to show me the fire within? ROFL.

The ipmi has huge value to me too. As I said, the server is locked up in my safe. It's headless, and attaching a keyboard and monitor to it is a PITA. If I could leave them permanently attached I would do it. But there is no room left in the safe. I spent a lot time trying to see a way to do that, but gave up.

I am starting to feel like that YouTube video guy: The Art of Server.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Please do let us know how that PiKVM works out.

There will be a bit of a delay. I didn't realize the version I got was made for the RPi4. I had planned on using an RPi3. I don't want to sacrifice my RPi4 8GB to it. And I'm not paying $120 for an RPi4 2GB kit. Maybe I will find one somewhere.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But not one working solution.

Did you try this? https://github.com/solarkennedy/ipmi-kvm-docker I just tried it and it works! The amd64 image is based on ubuntu14. You use a browser to login and then connect to your ipmi via a browser in the container. Uses icedtea7. This is much better than having an ubuntu 14 VM around.

• Did you try this? https://github.com/solarkennedy/ipmi-kvm-docker I just tried it and it works! The amd64 image is based on ubuntu14. You use a browser to login and then connect to your ipmi via a browser in the container. Uses icedtea7. This is much better than having an ubuntu 14 VM around.

Thanks.

Edit:

But it throws the same error on my Chenbro like it does when not using this docker.

I also tried using this docker with my ASRock. That box has a working java console redirection. I tried it with this docker using it the exact same way. All I changed was the ipmi IP address. It works.

So I can conclude that the docker can work, but just not with my Cenbro.

Attached is the error it throws.

--

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Attached is the error it throws.

Does the "Show Details" show anything useful?

• Should I be able to run the OMV installer ISO directly, e.g. with qemu-system-x86_64 -drive file=PATH.iso,index=0,media=disk,format=raw?

never worked with qemu, but if the question is: Is the OMV ISO bootable, the answer is yes.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Not really. Nobody, anywhere in the various threads about the problem has this working.

If you send me the jnlp file (the file your server sends with the instructions to start the console) I can give it to someone who should know what the problem is.
    Maybe you need to play around with the browsers console / development window to get it downloaded.

• If you send me the jnlp file (the file your server sends with the instructions to start the console) I can give it to someone who should know what the problem is.
    Maybe you need to play around with the browsers console / development window to get it downloaded.

Getting the file downloaded is the first part of the problem, but that has been solved by someone with some custom code. The next problem is that the file will not run (yes it has been chmoded to be executable). Also, files like this, even other ones for other servers that do work, are very time sensitive and expire quickly.

Attached is a fresh copy of the file. I had to add a .txt extension to it to get uploaded here, so remove that before use.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• never worked with qemu, but if the question is: Is the OMV ISO bootable, the answer is yes.

Thanks! Yes, I know it's bootable I just wanted to find out why/if qemu works. Also, I wonder if installing to a USB stick on another machine will work. Or do I need to run the installer from the server I want to use the USB on? Because my server is headless I would like to prepare the stick on another linux.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!