USB Live system for emergency use

• This file os bogus:

It is missing the mandatory definition of the main class in application-desc <main-class>some.java.class.with.a.main.method</main-class>

If you really want to try use it: Download https://192.168.1.208/Java/release/Linux_x86_64.jar or https://192.168.1.208/Java/release/Win64.jar

and try to run it with

java -jar /Linux_x86_64.jar 192.168.1.208 7578 mwpZ7aJoRsuEFgfo DBmld581xDCFhVqKdsqC3yy9jFYpcQXY000

and see, if it has a main class defined in its meta-info. (Arguments neet to be changed from the JNLP file).

But we are getting off topic. if you want to continue with that issue, send me a private message or start a new thread.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Thanks! Yes, I know it's bootable I just wanted to find out why/if qemu works. Also, I wonder if installing to a USB stick on another machine will work. Or do I need to run the installer from the server I want to use the USB on? Because my server is headless I would like to prepare the stick on another linux.

You can create the USB-stick on any computer and just plug it into your server. make sure it boots from USB.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Did not know about this option

Suggest to follow the OMV documentation at https://openmediavault.readthe…on_usb.html?highlight=usb

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I already found this. Also, this should be the best solution for my original problem: Using OMV on USB as an emergency SSH for headless machines that wont boot up. Sorry I did not think of if myself!

What happens if the OMV on USB you are using on a headless machine doesn't have the correct network interface setup for that machine? If it's headless and you don't have out of band (like ipmi) way to see the console, how do you see anything?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What happens if the OMV on USB you are using on a headless machine doesn't have the correct network interface setup for that machine? If it's headless and you don't have out of band (like ipmi) way to see the console, how do you see anything?

Could something like this be a solution? A USB KVM extender over ethernet. Whenever physical distance allows it, logically. In this case 120m.

https://cablematic.com/es/prod…0UKarXh3jEGxoCboIQAvD_BwE

• Could something like this be a solution? A USB KVM extender over ethernet. Whenever physical distance allows it, logically. In this case 120m.

https://cablematic.com/es/prod…0UKarXh3jEGxoCboIQAvD_BwE

Well sure that could work. If I had to do something like that I would probably go for one of those new PiKVM things. But in my use case, that device would cost almost as much as the server did. Fortunately, my server has a working SOL console and I don't even need ssh to get to it.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

that device would cost almost as much as the server did

It was a quick search, it's the first one that came out. Surely looking in china the price would be much lower. :)

• I didn't check the price on what you linked. A decently fitted out PiKVM costs more than the $162US I paid for my entire server, less drives.

--

• What happens if the OMV on USB you are using on a headless machine doesn't have the correct network interface setup for that machine? If it's headless and you don't have out of band (like ipmi) way to see the console, how do you see anything?

I don't know. This was the problem I immediately saw when installing OMV6 on the stick. So, Zoki s answer is wrong in that regard, right? But what exactly is the "network interface setup"? I mean does it go for a specific hardware?

On the other hand the OMV6 stick I just generated did not boot up my old Acer E3-111 where I generated it - due to Secure Boot. I am actually not able to change Secure Boot in the BIOS, it seems. I have no clue whether this will also be an issue on the server. I mean I can find out by putting a monitor on. :) But it is always a hassle. It is a tower with 9 drives in it which is laying on a high board on the top of my flat's hallway. I usually take a stairway and hold the monitor while also holding the keyboard...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I usually take a stairway and hold the monitor while also holding the keyboard...

I have the server in the garage, two floors below my office. When this happens to me I have to go down two floors, pick up the box and go up two floors. A Fractal Node 605 box with 7 hard drives inside is heavy. Although I prefer that to disassembling a monitor and lowering it to the garage, at least I feel comfortable. I could use a solution for this as well. :)

I didn't check the price on what you linked.

The price of what I posted is about $ 100 I guess. For that use I would buy a Chinese one in half without hesitation.

• The question is what you are trying to achieve. If you just want to ssh into the server (after changing the boot USB-stick) having an USB-stick which starts an ssh daemon is ok. You will be able to access your data, but not the boot device.

If you want to debug the boot process (or even change BIOS settings) you need something like ILO, ipmi, a kvm-extender or monitor + keyboard i.e. hardware.

• I don't know. This was the problem I immediately saw when installing OMV6 on the stick. So, Zoki s answer is wrong in that regard, right? But what exactly is the "network interface setup"? I mean does it go for a specific hardware?

On the other hand the OMV6 stick I just generated did not boot up my old Acer E3-111 where I generated it - due to Secure Boot. I am actually not able to change Secure Boot in the BIOS, it seems. I have no clue whether this will also be an issue on the server. I mean I can find out by putting a monitor on. :) But it is always a hassle. It is a tower with 9 drives in it which is laying on a high board on the top of my flat's hallway. I usually take a stairway and hold the monitor while also holding the keyboard...

I'll give an example of the problem using my own machines.

I currently run OMV on a USB stick on a Chenbro NR12000 server. I don't remember what ethernet NICs it uses though. If I take that USB stick to my old retired headless ASRock server and boot it, it will boot all the way. But since it's headless I have no monitor or keyboard to interact with it. So the thinking is I can ssh in and work that way. But the ethernet NICs on the ASRock aren't the same as those in the Chenbro. So there is no network connectivity. To fix the networking problem I need to reconfigure the network interface using omv-firstaid using the console. But it's headless so I can't do that unless I plug in a monitor and keyboard. Not convenient.

However, since the machine has an out of band serial over LAN ipmi console running on another dedicated NIC, I can use ipmitool from another machine on the network to get connected to the console, log in and run omv-first-aid. Most users, however, don't have ipmi capable machines so they are stuck.

--

• One way to solve the NIC issue (what is the IP-address of the server today) is to have IPs assigned via DHCP and look into your router to find the assigned address. If your router is somewhat clever, you can even use the name, the server (the usb stick) advertises during requesting a dhcp lease.

• One way to solve the NIC issue (what is the IP-address of the server today) is to have IPs assigned via DHCP and look into your router to find the assigned address. If your router is somewhat clever, you can even use the name, the server (the usb stick) advertises during requesting a dhcp lease.

Sorry, but you don't understand what the possible problem could be. It's not about what IP address is on the network configuration of the OMV running on the USB stick.

Assume the USB stick was setup and running on a machine that has an Intel NIC in it. You take it to another headless machine that has a Real-Tec Nic in it boot it. It will likely boot all the way to the console login screen which you can not see because it's headless. But the networking can't possibly work because OMV is still running on the Intel NIC driver. So you get no IP address on the NIC and can't ssh in. Dead end.

To fix this you need access to the console so you can log in, run omv-firstaid, and reconfigure the network interface which will detect the NIC being different and load the correct driver. But it's headless so you can't do this. Dead end.

Without an out of band console being available (like SOL via ipmi) you have nothing to work with until you attach a monitor and keyboard.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you knew this might be needed on your system, you could add a generic netplan config for dhcp that would match any network adapter:

Code
    network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
        net0:
          match:
            name: e*
          dhcp4:yes

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you knew this might be needed on your system, you could add a generic netplan config for dhcp that would match any network adapter:

Code
    network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
        net0:
          match:
            name: e*
          dhcp4:yes

Awesome! Can you provide some more information how I am supposed to edit this into the system of the OMV6 on my USB stick?

( Regarding the other posts: of course my server has a dedicated IP from the router. But this NIC thing is new to me.)

• It might depend on exactly what you need to use this rescue USB stick for, but there may be better choices than an OMV installation on USB.

SystemRescueCD on a USB stick might offer more tools.

https://www.system-rescue.org/…ue-on-a-USB-memory-stick/

I tried this but I am unable to SSH in using root. I set passwd on the rescue system and I am able to log in to it using ssh root@localhost but from another machine it just hangs:

Code
    B-iMac:~ ben$ ssh -vvv root@192.168.100.179
    OpenSSH_7.8p1, LibreSSL 2.6.2
    debug1: Reading configuration data /Users/ben/.ssh/config
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 48: Applying options for *
    debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname 192.168.100.179 is address
    debug2: ssh_connect_direct
    debug1: Connecting to 192.168.100.179 [192.168.100.179] port 22.
    debug1: connect to address 192.168.100.179 port 22: Operation timed out
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.100.179 port 22: Operation timed out

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!