OMV 6 Stable?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, i was looking at the Technodad YT video and he used the OMV ISO and i was thinking should i use it or not but then i thought nope just stick to the one i know

Don't get me wrong, the OMV ISO is fine... I just run various Debian VM's (a few with different GUI's, etc.).. so rather than having 4-5 different ISO's downloaded... I just keep the netinstall on my laptop, and then add whatever I need.

Even when I used the OMV ISO, I always used the script to install omv-extras. Like I said, it's not gonna hurt anything. Once apt detects that OMV is already installed, it will just download and install omv-extras.

I always had problems with the omv-extras file you upload through the webUI and installing it there (not sure why).. The script also installs the flash-memory plugin automatically, which I also use.. so it's just less headache.

• Don't get me wrong, the OMV ISO is fine... I just run various Debian VM's (a few with different GUI's, etc.).. so rather than having 4-5 different ISO's downloaded... I just keep the netinstall on my laptop, and then add whatever I need.

Even when I used the OMV ISO, I always used the script to install omv-extras. Like I said, it's not gonna hurt anything. Once apt detects that OMV is already installed, it will just download and install omv-extras.

I always had problems with the omv-extras file you upload through the webUI and installing it there (not sure why).. The script also installs the flash-memory plugin automatically, which I also use.. so it's just less headache.

Yeah, i used the ISO years ago on my PI but then i needed Virtualization (teaching myself about AD etc) so switched to a desktop and found the script easier at the time and stuck to it since then.

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

• KM0201 here is a question for you (sorry i tried searching in the forum but got a few thousand results if i find the answer i will delete this) but is there away i can back up my OMV drive so when i mess it up again (not that i'm planning to mess it up but just incase) i can just restore from back up?

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 a quick question for you, you know how Windows has restore points so if you fudge something up you can revert to a previous version. Is there something similar for OMV?

There's a backup plugin that will image the disk. A lot depends on how much disk space you have and how large your OS disk is.

I have a pretty simple process for this (I tested it pretty extensively in VM's before implementing it on my new server build)

1. I made a simple script to run updates on OMV. I then added it to Scheduled Tasks in the webuI, and set it to run every Sat. morning at 5am.

2. I then made another simple script, to image my OS drive, and put the image on one of my storage drives. Then I schedule it to run at every Saturday at 7am. Every so often I just check the folder where the script puts the images, and delete the older ones (they are dated). Usually I just do this at the CLI level. If you have a huge OS drive, this isn't a viable solution as creating the image will take a long time, and it will also take considerable space. As it is, I can compress my 64gig OS disk down to about a 4gig image. It generally takes anywhere from 15-20min to do this.. not that it matters as it's all done automatically.

Example of where I am now..

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cd /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-26cefdd5-3caf-4bb2-ac2e-2fa87ba6328e/OS_Backup/
    root@openmediavault:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-26cefdd5-3caf-4bb2-ac2e-2fa87ba6328e/OS_Backup# ls -l --block-size=M
    total 7634M
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root users 3681M Sep 10 05:14 backup-2022-09-10.img.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root users 3953M Sep 17 09:14 backup-2022-09-17.img.gz
    root@openmediavault:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-26cefdd5-3caf-4bb2-ac2e-2fa87ba6328e/OS_Backup# 

If I need to restore (say my flash drive dies)... I just boot any Live CD on my server (Usually I have Mint or Ubuntu on a flash drive somewhere around here).. Mount my "OS_Backup" folder on the live CD, then use dd to write the image back to a new flash drive.

I then boot the new flash drive, and in my testing, I generally get filesystem error, but simply running fsck and then the new flash drive boots normally. At that point, my OMV install is back to where it was on the date the image was taken.

I've only tested the restore once on my hardware, and it went w/o a hitch. I tested it multiple times in VM's before trying it in hardware, and it worked similarly.

So with how I've got this setup, I pretty much have a completely up to date image back up once a week. That is plenty current for me.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Bash
    #!/bin/bash

dd if=/dev/sde conv=sync,noerror bs=64K | gzip -c > /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-26cefdd5-3caf-4bb2-ac2e-2fa87ba6328e/OS_Backup/"backup-$(date +%F).img.gz"

By the way, here's the script if you want it. The backup plugin I think basically does the same thing. I just had a minor issue with it on restore.. but I think it might have been how I was restoring the image.

First as root..

nano os-backup.sh

Copy/paste the codebox above into the file

It's quite easy and you'd only need to change 2 things...

/dev/sde --- This you need to adjust to your OS drive (if you don't know the drive letter for your OS drive, use fdisk -l )

/srv/dev-disk... --- This is where you intend to store the images.

Once done, Contrl X, Y, then enter to save.

Now make the script executable.

Code
    chmod +x os-backup.sh

Now make sure gzip is installed (can't remember if it is by default or not...

Code
    apt install gzip

Now run the script

Code
    sh os-backup.sh

and let it run. Depending on the size of your OS drive, it could take a while (like I said mine is 64gigs, and typically takes about 15-20min.. but I'm guessing there's multiple factors involved in how long this will take)

Once I know the script works, I just add it to scheduled tasks in the webUI...

That's it. It's more or less set it and forget it at that point.

Like I said, every few weeks SSH in and go to the folder that holds my images, and delete all but the 2 most current.

Edit: Sorry the script didn't paste right from SSH... fixed.

• Thank you, will this work over USB. My OMV drive is only 60GB but i do have an external 250GB which i was hoping to use but it is only USB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you, will this work over USB. My OMV drive is only 60GB but i do have an external 250GB which i was hoping to use but it is only USB.

I had to edit in a few things in that post, so just double check if if you intend to do that..

The script didn't paste completely from SSH, so I fixed that.

Also, the script requries gzip. I can't remember if that's installed by default or not.. so added instructions to install it.

• I had to edit in a few things in that post, so just double check if if you intend to do that..

The script didn't paste completely from SSH, so I fixed that.

Also, the script requries gzip. I can't remember if that's installed by default or not.. so added instructions to install it.

As im having a whale of a time with KVM (not) atm im going to try this in the morning

• Offizieller Beitrag

As im having a whale of a time with KVM (not) atm im going to try this in the morning

Like I said, i tested it multiple times in VM before.. (I always test something like 5x at least..lol). Then came up with a schedule that worked for me, etc.. and eventually came to the process I have now and honestly am quite happy with it. Obviously if you need more/less frequent backups, it's easy to adjust.

When I did my rebuild last month, I did a proof of concept on my hardware.. and it also worked just like it did in the VM's

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you, will this work over USB. My OMV drive is only 60GB but i do have an external 250GB which i was hoping to use but it is only USB.

Yes, it should work fine for USB.. you just need to make sure those 2 adjustments I mentioned are made correctly..

• You don't need to reinstal... you can run the install script even on a running OMV install.. it will just download omv-extras and add any repositories it needs... but it's design is to be used on a minimal debian install..

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…-Developers/installScript

As for your static IP problem.. only thing I can figure is you're not adding your DNS servers.

Thank you again for this, moving to a new machine so i thought i would rebuild OMV from scratch.

• Well hopefully you've gotten past where you're reinstalling OMV so frequently.. :)

Yeah I gave up be excessively experimental and just stuck a OMV, Docker and 1 VM and then just leaving them the way they are (if it ain't broke, why mess with it)

Out of curiosity if I was to take out my OMV OS hard drive out of one machine and put it in another machine would it still work fine?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah I gave up be excessively experimental and just stuck a OMV, Docker and 1 VM and then just leaving them the way they are (if it ain't broke, why mess with it)

Out of curiosity if I was to take out my OMV OS hard drive out of one machine and put it in another machine would it still work fine?

As long as the new hardware is recognized by the Kernel, yes it shouldn't be a problem.

• As long as the new hardware is recognized by the Kernel, yes it shouldn't be a problem.

Hey KM0201 ,

For some unknown reason the new system I'm trying to transfer my OMV to wouldn't accept the UEFI i had OMV installed on, but i just a new fresh copy using UEFI on the new machine, which makes no sense to me???

Anyhow is there away to back up all the settings, VM and docker from machine 1 and restore it to machine 2?

Everything i have found online so far has confused me slightly and also most of everything i can find is a few years old.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know about VM's... but docker.. "maybe".

If you've got your containers folder mapped outside of /var/lib/docker.. (or even inside I guess).. you could move that docker folder to the new machine. Depending on how your system is set up however.. that could cause a lot of chaos (ie, creating UUID's that don't exist, etc.)

• I don't know about VM's... but docker.. "maybe".

If you've got your containers folder mapped outside of /var/lib/docker.. (or even inside I guess).. you could move that docker folder to the new machine. Depending on how your system is set up however.. that could cause a lot of chaos (ie, creating UUID's that don't exist, etc.)

KM0201 I've contacted the seller of machine 2 and hoping they will take it back but if not to save on the hassle i will just rebuild from scratch but using legacy instead of UEFI. which is not ideal but i cant really afford to buy another machine at this time.

Though i do think OMV could do with some option on backing up and restoring config/settings

• Offizieller Beitrag

KM0201 I've contacted the seller of machine 2 and hoping they will take it back but if not to save on the hassle i will just rebuild from scratch but using legacy instead of UEFI. which is not ideal but i cant really afford to buy another machine at this time.

Though i do think OMV could do with some option on backing up and restoring config/settings

well again, if you prepare for it before hand (and honestly if you're going to reinstall, this would be the best time to do it)

Give me a couple minutes and I'll fire up one of my epic long posts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

before I go to far into this and maybe confuse you with needless info.

1. what is the output of:

Code
    docker info | grep Root

2. Are you using symlinks in your stacks/docker-compose files? And just out of curiosity, how many containers are you running.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!