omv-extras 6.3 / openmediavault-compose 6.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry but how do I set the drive where docker is supposed to be loaded to if I can't see it?

What do you mean you can't see it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

FWIW, the "issue" with the Save button being grayed-out by default remains even after the apt-clean and GUI refresh. Even tried a restart just to check.

Not a big deal, but you do have to de-select the yellow button for "Docker repo" and re-select before Save is accessible.

Perhaps not having the Docker repo check-box pre-selected?

Or just one line on the instructions page telling people to de-select the button first:

You are fixing a different issue than I was pointing out. I quoted the error that it couldn't download the compose 6.7.4 and that is because it is not in the repo like your apt cache thought.

As for the issue you are pointing out, I guess I can just add an Update button since I can't change the plugin to always have the Save button enabled.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or just one line on the instructions page telling people to de-select the button first:

ryecoaaron , I'm not sure about this, should I modify it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Save, then Install Docker.

Saving and apply installs docker (if not installed). No need to click the reinstall docker button after that.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

In there, Under "Settings" you set both the Compose folder and the Docker install folder. Save, then Install Docker.

This is so in that document because the proposed procedure is to install the docker folder on a separate drive from the operating system. The reasons are explained in the document a little earlier.

If you want to keep the default path /var/lib/docker you don't need to reinstall docker.

It all depends on what you want to configure and how you want to do it.

• Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; docker-compose --file '/Docker_Config/openmediavault-compose//Portainer/Portainer.yml' --env-file '/Docker_Config/openmediavault-compose//Portainer/Portainer.env' up -d 2>&1': The Compose file '/Docker_Config/openmediavault-compose//Portainer/Portainer.yml' is invalid because:
    volumes.portainer-data value Additional properties are not allowed ('name' was unexpected)

Same here. is there way of moving the data from that volume to a regular folder and ensuring Portainer uses it?

Currently it's pulling in its stacks as "created outside Portainer"

Simply removing the line results in:

Code
    Volume portainer-data declared as external, but could not be found. Please create the volume manually using `docker volume create --name=portainer-data` and try again.

docker volume ls shows:

local portainer_data

I'm guessing this is an underscore typo?

Duly noted - thanks for taking the time to reply.

Here's exactly what I did:

1. ssh'd: docker container stop portainer
    2. ssh'd: docker container rm portainer
    3. Clicked "add example" on the Files tab of the compose plugin, hoping to select the portainer-omvextras example, as instructed - but there no items in the drop-down list.
    4. Refreshed browser cache, tried a different browser, rebooted everything, lit a candle - still couldn't see any Examples in that drop-down list.
    5. Restored OMV from a recent backup & all working as it did prior to update.
    6. Updated OMV-extras again with a somewhat better result - I can now see the examples and select one.
    7. Unfortunately, I now get stuck at a persistent error objecting to something in the recommended example's YAML:

"volumes.portainer-data value Additional properties are not allowed ('name' was unexpected

I have no idea how to get past this, but I'm sure I will.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Same here. is there way of moving the data from that volume to a regular folder and ensuring Portainer uses it?

Currently it's pulling in its stacks as "created outside Portainer"

If the only problem is that the examples do not appear, copy the content below in a new File and implement it, the result will be the same.

• This is so in that document because the proposed procedure is to install the docker folder on a separate drive from the operating system. The reasons are explained in the document a little earlier.

If you want to keep the default path /var/lib/docker you don't need to reinstall docker.

It all depends on what you want to configure and how you want to do it.

Yes...that's why I was letting Vitaman know how to set the Docker folder.

That user asked how to set the Docker folder as directed in OMV Docker guide.

( RE: omv-extras 6.3 / openmediavault-compose 6.7 )

As you recall, we used to do that before installing the OMV-compose plugin to ensure Docker would use the specified folder.

Now we do it after installing the plugin...but before actually installing Docker.

Of course, the new instructions show that screenshot and the steps to do this, but I didn't want to just RTFM my response.

You guys are pretty patient. Appreciate it.

• If the only problem is that the examples do not appear, copy the content below in a new File and implement it, the result will be the same.

And yet it continues to object every time:

Portainer.yml is invalid because:

volumes.portainer-data value Additional properties are not allowed ('name' was unexpected)

I understand this compose plugin change is in fact very simple and works 100% of the time, but until it's even simpler and works more than 100% of the time, I'm rolling back to 48 hours ago & going to steer clear of this update until the dragons have cleared out,

• Containers created in Portainer, will not appear in OMV.

Containers created in OMV, will show in Portainer... but you will have limited management of them (you'll basically be able to start/stop them)

Can other types of tasks like creating networks, removing images, etc., can be done by Portainer? if I remove a container through Portainer will the change happen in the plugin as well or will the non-existent container continue to appear? Does the plugin have options to do this sort of thing and also start and stop a container?

• Here's what appears to be the correct, working example:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I understand this compose plugin change is in fact very simple and works 100% of the time, but until it's even simpler and works more than 100% of the time, I'm rolling back to 48 hours ago & going to steer clear of this update until the dragons have cleared out,

You are going to be waiting a long time then. There are no dragons and this isn't a compose plugin problem. This is a "docker-compose complaining about the your portainer volume" issue. I would guess you still have portainer running. If you insist on continuing to use portainer, I would recommend you exporting your portainer data, removing the portainer container and volume, then create a new portainer compose in the compose plugin, and import your data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can other types of tasks like creating networks, removing images, etc., can be done by Portainer? if I remove a container through Portainer will the change happen in the plugin as well or will the non-existent container continue to appear? Does the plugin have options to do this sort of thing and also start and stop a container?

Anything Portainer allows you to do in a container will be reflected in openmediavault-compose.

• docker stop container_name

Jep, that's what I did in the meantime... ;)

Is there a reason you need them all in one stack/compose file? Having them separate, also makes them easier to update, as you don't have to redeploy the entire compose file, just to update one container.

... but as it is sometimes just nice to use the GUI I will split the stacks now and have everything within one tab.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Creating networks can be done in the compose file.

Removing images is easier if you use the prune menu. Not sure why most users would need to manage images differently than prune.

If you remove a container that is in a compose file in the compose plugin, the compose plugin will not "know" about that. Not sure why you would do that either.

Did you look at the plugin? You can start and stop compose files in the Files tab. You can start or restart containers in the Containers tab. If you are stopping a single container in a compose file with multiple containers, you should separate it to its own compose file.

• You are going to be waiting a long time then. There are no dragons and this isn't a compose plugin problem. This is a "docker-compose complaining about the your portainer volume" issue. I would guess you still have portainer running. If you insist on continuing to use portainer, I would recommend you exporting your portainer data, removing the portainer container and volume, then create a new portainer compose in the compose plugin, and import your data.

The gulf between my level of knowledge and your own makes me appreciate your incredible dedication & commitment to everything OMV - thanks!

neil

• So how did you do it without the yaml files to get all your configs back for each of your Docker applications? Or did you start from scratch?

I solved it getting back all the application configurations. I try to summarize what I recommend to do in these cases:

1- get a yaml file with autocompose with the command docker run --rm -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock red5d/docker-autocompose name_of_your_container

2- stop the container with docker container stop name_of_your_container

3- with a text editor change the name of the container contained in the yaml file, something like "container_name: name_of_your_container" becomes "container_name: name_of_your_container-new" (by changing the name of the new container we can keep the old one until everything is went right)

4- in OMV Compose/File/Create name the new container "name_of_your_container-new" and paste the contents of the new yaml into window 1 (File), ignoring window 2 (Environment)

5- at this point you need to save and then select the cointainer and give the Up command (up arrow)

6- during this procedure there will be some errors, by reading them carefully you should understand where to put your hands to fix the file we have pasted. Select in Files "name_of_your_container-new" and click on Edit. Here we can make the changes. Generally it is about removing some parts that are not needed, I list some examples:

removed:

Code
    networks:
    - bridge

removed:

Code
    networks:
    - hosts

removed:

Code
    command:
    - 'dumb-init /etc/openvpn/start.sh'

modified:

Code
    devices:
    - CgroupPermissions: rwm
    PathInContainer: /dev/dri
    PathOnHost: /dev/dri

in

Code
    devices:
    - /dev/dri:/dev/dri

7- once the errors have been resolved, the new container will start perfectly keeping all the settings it had previously, and at this point you can delete the old container with docker container rm name_of_your_container

OMV 6.9.16-1 (Shaitan) - Debian 11 (Bullseye) - Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.17-amd64

OMV Plugins: backup 6.1.1 | compose 6.11.3 | cputemp 6.1.3 | flashmemory 6.2 | ftp 6.0.7-1 | kernel 6.4.10 | nut 6.0.7-1 | omvextrasorg 6.3.6 | resetperms 6.0.3 | sharerootfs 6.0.3-1

ASRock J5005-ITX - 16GB DDR4 - 4x WD RED 12TB (Raid10), 2x WD RED 4TB (Raid1) [OFF], Boot from SanDisk Ultra Fit Flash Drive 32GB - Fractal Design Node 304

• Offizieller Beitrag

I solved it getting back all the application configurations. I try to summarize what I recommend to do in these cases:

Good explanation, thanks. :thumbup:

I would add:

- Consult the documentation of the author of the container, and, if there is a sample yaml file, try to adapt the output of autocompose as much as possible to the author's example.

• compose 6.7.5 is in the repo now and adds a hyperlink to each tcp port (should skip udp). The hyperlink works just like the kvm plugin - it gets the fqdn of the host from the OMV database. Seems to work better than portainer that on my system is just doing something like this - 0.0.0.0:28080 (which doesn't work).

Amazing, nice and quick!

Thank you so much

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!