omv-extras 6.3 / openmediavault-compose 6.7

• I understand why the link works but you shouldn't have to do that. What is the output of:

ls -al /usr/local/share/compose/paperless/

sudo omv-salt deploy run compose

Thank you for trying to figure this out.

Code
    ~$ ls -la /usr/local/share/compose/paperless/
    insgesamt 28
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root users 4096 16. Jun 16:29 .
    drwxr-sr-x 4 root users 4096 16. Jun 16:38 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   351 16. Jun 14:50 docker-compose.env
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   969 16. Jun 14:50 docker-compose.yml
    drwxr-xr-x 2 nre  nre   4096 16. Jun 14:51 export
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root users  351 16. Jun 14:30 paperless.env
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root users 1042 16. Jun 16:29 paperless.yml

The yml was changed so recently since I had to upgrade to a hotfix release.

The output from sudo omv-salt deploy run compose looks unproblematic too:

Hoping to see something more interesting I added the files anew as I did before. I was able to reproduce the issue but still nothing in the output of omv-salt:

But:

I recreated this issue with the same compose file I had used before and as I said, I ran into the same problem with another copied compose file. I tried to recreate it with another copied file though and this one worked like a charm. So maybe the error isn't with the setup but with these two files or the way I copied them.

Anyway, it works for me now and if anyone happens to run in the same issue they can create a link to fix it as mentioned above.

• The yml was changed so recently since I had to upgrade to a hotfix release.

How is the .env referenced in your yaml file for the one that fails? I ask because if you use a full file path it's not really allowed. The error message looks like it was trying to find a full file path in the folder where you have the compose file. From the docs:

Relative path MUST be resolved from the Compose file’s parent folder. As absolute paths prevent the Compose file from being portable, Compose implementations SHOULD warn users when such a path is used to set env_file.

• Exactly what is it you are looking for?

I can't figure out anything with OMV6. I've have to reinstall it 3 times because either it'll lock up and corrupt something or decide that it wouldn't update the files it needed. I just need portainer not this mess.

I'm done with OMV6 and going back to 5, if that causes any problems I'm done with OMV for good I don't have the time or patients to put up with this BS.

There were only two things I used OMV for macbook backup and portainer.

• You aren't going to find a Portainer installer within OMV 6. That was deprecated. Install it by hand in the shell or use a compose file in the compose plugin.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I'm done with OMV6 and going back to 5, if that causes any problems I'm done with OMV for good I don't have the time or patients to put up with this BS.

And go where?

"Because I have have been down there, I know that road, I know exactly where it ends."

I have tried every solution and OMV is still (on my hardware and experience) the smallest, fastest and most customized solution out of them at all and its a freakin NAS first. With an AMAZING support team on this forum. With NO COST to any of us.

OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

Services: MiniDLNA | File Server (streaming and file transfers that's it.)
    System: HP Pavillion 595 | I7-8700 ( 2 vCores) | 2.1 GB Ram | 32GB VM Sys Drv | 5TB USB Media Drive | Jan 24'

• And go where?

"Because I have have been down there, I know that road, I know exactly where it ends."

I have tried every solution and OMV is still (on my hardware and experience) the smallest, fastest and most customized solution out of them at all and its a freakin NAS first. With an AMAZING support team on this forum. With NO COST to any of us.

There is a big group of users who came down to OMV in order to have user friendly and easy setup of home made NAS. With a recent change of OMV extras, the task of setting up or migrating the previous containers became a daunting task.

The biggest problem is that OMV extras are developed/maintained by a single guy who is free to decide how and what he is going to support. If you read this thread carefully, the main reason he dropped portainer and yacht is because he doesn't like those anymore and doesn't want to support. This is not how you support your customers/users. We are not even given a choice to choose what we want to upgrade. The developer does not think about users and cares less if you had a working system and now nothing works. There are not so many proficient Linux users who are comfortable with all in depth linux command and configuring the system using command line. Majority of users are looking for simplicity.

I cannot rely on this system. I highly recommend you look at UNRAID OS system. I know it has some fee to it, but at least I did not hear anything like this happening. Another approach is to get a real NAS such as QNAP or Synology.

• There is a big group of users who came down to OMV in order to have user friendly and easy setup of home made NAS. With a recent change of OMV extras, the task of setting up or migrating the previous containers became a daunting task.

The biggest problem is that OMV extras are developed/maintained by a single guy who is free to decide how and what he is going to support. If you read this thread carefully, the main reason he dropped portainer and yacht is because he doesn't like those anymore and doesn't want to support. This is not how you support your customers/users. We are not even given a choice to choose what we want to upgrade. The developer does not think about users and cares less if you had a working system and now nothing works. There are not so many proficient Linux users who are comfortable with all in depth linux command and configuring the system using command line. Majority of users are looking for simplicity.

I cannot rely on this system. I highly recommend you look at UNRAID OS system. I know it has some fee to it, but at least I did not hear anything like this happening. Another approach is to get a real NAS such as QNAP or Synology.

Not trying to fight, but there is a sticky about getting portainer working for you again. It literaly take 3 minutes to perform and you are completely back to portainer and all your containers are still there and still running. Nothing is lost. Have you tried that?

Like others, I have been down the road of commercial NAS boxes like netgear ReadyShare many years ago, a QNAP box, and other free NAS setups like NAS4Free/XigmaNAS and FreeNAS/TrueNAS. The commercial hardware nas boxes are not good. Then tend to be too limiting in my experience, but if you like to be told what to do and how to do it with little to no other choice, than they can work fine. The other free NAS softwares I mentioned are BSD based, and while under the hood BSD and Linux are very similar, and they are very stable and polished, once again there is a much more limited choice in what you can do with them because of that BSD backbone.

To me my choice came down to running Linux and setting up everything manually, or run OMV. OMV won because of it's lighter footprint compared to a manual setup.

• Here's my story (i'm bad at English),

At first I also was freaked out! And started googling "omv alternatives" and got more freaked up!

Then I started trying to read the guide "Guide: Using the new docker plugin" on the omv forum. Then guess what? Within 35 mins of my precious time! I'm using the omv-compose plugin (tested 1 previous portainer stack). All my previous docker containers up and running with the previous portainer (which was already running). I've installed 2 more containers and planning to add more, as nothing has happened but good.

So when i see those kinds of bad comments, i get freaked out and ashamed thinking, if those lovely omv devs started to think, enough of this! And start using their time somewhere else, i or my kind of people will be dommed!

So, stop bitching and start reading (if you don't get it). And look in the mirror, and try to appreciate those developers for what they are doing for us (or for them as a hobby).

Or start paying, as some users commented, recommending UNRAID!

• How is the .env referenced in your yaml file for the one that fails? I ask because if you use a full file path it's not really allowed. The error message looks like it was trying to find a full file path in the folder where you have the compose file. From the docs:

Relative path MUST be resolved from the Compose file’s parent folder. As absolute paths prevent the Compose file from being portable, Compose implementations SHOULD warn users when such a path is used to set env_file.

ooops. I was about to say that the env-file was not mentioned in the yml at all but I rechecked this morning and it actually is mentioned. The problem is not an absolute path but the name docker-compose.env. Changed that and everything is fine.

Aaand while rechecking this I discovered the error I got for another package is indeed not the exact same error but something completely unrelated - although it looks quite the same in the omv gui.

Anyway, everything solved. It was just me not having a grip on the config files I'm using.

So again, everything I can contribute here is to say thank you for this plugin, I think it's great.

I also was confused by the dysfunctional omv-extras page but I just checked and the path from there is click "wiki", click one of the guides. That's not much really.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't figure out anything with OMV6. I've have to reinstall it 3 times because either it'll lock up and corrupt something or decide that it wouldn't update the files it needed. I just need portainer not this mess.

I'm done with OMV6 and going back to 5, if that causes any problems I'm done with OMV for good I don't have the time or patients to put up with this BS.

There were only two things I used OMV for macbook backup and portainer.

If you need Portainer you just have to install it inside the plugin. Then you can use Portainer exactly the same as before, no one is stopping you. It literally takes 4 minutes to do. you have it all here https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…openmediavault-compose_67

And you have a video of how to do it in the first post of this thread. I think it couldn't be easier.

If you have problems installing OMV open a new thread, it is not related to this one.

No one forces you to use OMV either. There are other software out there. Good luck.

• Offizieller Beitrag

the task of setting up or migrating the previous containers became a daunting task.

That is not right. Just read here. In 4 minutes you have everything as before. Getting rid of Portainer is strongly recommended but not required.

omv6:omv6_plugins:docker_compose [omv-extras.org]

The biggest problem is that OMV extras are developed/maintained by a single guy who is free to decide how and what he is going to support. If you read this thread carefully, the main reason he dropped portainer and yacht is because he doesn't like those anymore and doesn't want to support.

I would say that Portainer was never really an optimal solution. Portainer is too intrusive and requires too much maintenance considering that the only use for it by the vast majority of users is to create stacks and start and stop containers. This plugin is a logical evolution, providing the functionality users require without the need for Portainer. And it also gives you the possibility to install Portainer and continue working with Portainer if that's what you want. Don't forget that Portainer is just another container, just like all the others.

I fully support the decision that has been made with this plugin.

You can trust this system the same as before, but for some reason you are looking for a way to leave. You don't need any illogical reasoning to do it, you can do it freely, buy a QNAP if you're happier. Good luck.

• There is a big group of users who came down to OMV in order to have user friendly and easy setup of home made NAS. With a recent change of OMV extras, the task of setting up or migrating the previous containers became a daunting task.

I agree with what others have said, just spend some time reading the guides and watch the video, you'll be back to portainer in no time. I used to use both portainer and yacht, found portainer to be a pain to update, it SO much easier to pull new image and then click up, job done.

Regarding the developers, please remember they don't get paid for this. You could learn to program or write guides and help them out. I think toomany users forget that if the developers get cheesed off with loads of negative comments because people have been to lazy to read documentation, they might say 'stuff it' and go to another project and help there, or pack developing up altogether. I've not seen many problems not get fixed with help from developer or members of these forums. I think this is a really good Open Source project and hope it carries on for a long time.

Personally I don't use either portainer or yacht now, the plugin is a better solution as its built into OMV. I've been keeping an eye on Truenas scale and have seen loads of problems with it when it comes to docker containers, even though it has truecharts baked in.

I much prefer the docker-compose yml way of running containers rather than the truechart or UNRaid way of getting containers up and running, much more control and way easier to change values if need be.

Zitat

For OMV was great because I could use JBOD for storage, and went from a low powered pc's to a AMD 5600g and 64G, which will be much faster than either QNAP or Synology, I also think OMV is more secure than QNAP, plus I see a quite a few problems with Synology and docker.

Also OMV has some good documentation and guides, and a good forum with a number of experienced members who answer questions in a good way, when compared to some other forums.

Of course you could just install Debian 12, add file sharing,docker and portainer and manage it all yourself, but it's so much nice to have a small system that generally 'just works'

• The biggest problem is that OMV extras are developed/maintained by a single guy

Which is exactly why it is free.

Zitat

I have tried Proxmox, ESXi, UNRAID, Ubuntu with OMV VM, Windows Server, BSD etc. This just works (especially if you are using it on a low resource machine like a pi?!??) The others all have some requirement that makes it off the list. Ram requirements, certain hard drives, more beefer system specs. At the end of the day it is what best suits you and your use case scenario. But to demonize something after an update. The BIGGEST issue is learning Linux. I was the same years ago, until I sat down and committed 1/2 a day learning commands and playing with different distros. Knowledge is power and you said it, Its a single guy responding to all the posts with help from some mods. Plus a day job and a personal life. If this was a product we bought I would absolutely demand more.

OMV Version: 6.9.12-3 (Shaitan) Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.13-amd64 Proxmox VM

Services: MiniDLNA | File Server (streaming and file transfers that's it.)
    System: HP Pavillion 595 | I7-8700 ( 2 vCores) | 2.1 GB Ram | 32GB VM Sys Drv | 5TB USB Media Drive | Jan 24'

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recreated this issue with the same compose file I had used before and as I said, I ran into the same problem with another copied compose file. I tried to recreate it with another copied file though and this one worked like a charm. So maybe the error isn't with the setup but with these two files or the way I copied them.

Anyway, it works for me now and if anyone happens to run in the same issue they can create a link to fix it as mentioned above.

I think the other files with docker-compose standard filenames might be causing the problem. I would remove/move them and try it.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The biggest problem is that OMV extras are developed/maintained by a single guy who is free to decide how and what he is going to support. If you read this thread carefully, the main reason he dropped portainer and yacht is because he doesn't like those anymore and doesn't want to support.

I hope you realize that I don't need anything in OMV to run a NAS. So, everything I write IS for the users. I don't use most of the plugins I write or maintain. I released the compose plugin a year ago with the goal of integrating docker stuff back into the OMV user interface, making it simpler to use, and making backups/restores easier. I understand this is a big change but it wasn't something I could do any other way. I have nothing against portainer and even added two portainer example files to get it up and running with almost no effort. I even made a video to show it literally takes less than 3 minutes to get it up and running.

This is not how you support your customers/users.

Customers? You think I get paid to do this??? The donations I do get don't even cover the omv-extras hosting, SD cards for development. And I won't even mention the hundreds of hours per year I spend on this project. I volunteer my time and this how you "support" me?

We are not even given a choice to choose what we want to upgrade.

You could very easily sudo apt-mark hold openmediavault-omvextrasorg and stay on 6.1. You are not forced to upgrade.

The developer does not think about users and cares less if you had a working system and now nothing works.

The upgrade does absolutely nothing to break your system. Steps you applied after upgrading broke but with the guides and video, I'm not sure how you could break it. You have something very wrong if you honestly think I don't care and my goal was to break everyones working system.

There are not so many proficient Linux users who are comfortable with all in depth linux command and configuring the system using command line. Majority of users are looking for simplicity.

WTF... The plugin is so much simpler than portainer because it has about 100x less options. It is amazing you think portainer is simpler. I understand people don't like change but if you just spend a little time, you would see it is for the better and is simpler. My entire goal was making things simpler. All of my docker containers are run from the command line on Ubuntu. But with this plugin, I am slowly moving to the plugin.

Unraid is a good product but it is also something that 13 people get paid to do full time. Qnap and Synology are also both good but they have hundreds/thousands of employees working on their product. But I hope you know that OMV, Unraid, Qnap, and Synology are all Linux running Samba for cifs/smb shares and the same docker OMV uses. So, not sure why they are "real" NAS. And I have personally seen QNAP's web interface change a lot making it difficult to figure out where things are. Hell, even Microsoft does it.

So, sorry I ruined your world but I really was trying to make things better. It sure as hell was not to do less work. I have a fairly complicated plugin to maintain now instead of few buttons. But I thought it was worth it to make things easier. I know I can't make everyone happy (obviously) but in time I think everyone will be ok with the change. If not, then I guess you will have to use something else.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

The biggest problem is that OMV extras are developed/maintained by a single guy who is free to decide how and what he is going to support.

That is how open source works. In this case ryecoaaron can decide what he is doing with his free time which he invests in something he is not paid for and tries to make life easier for YOU and other openmediavault users.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, a lot of people have asked for the plugin to show all the containers running on the system. I spent a bunch of time trying to make the work with the current Containers tab (not happy with results). But the current Containers tab enumerates the containers from the compose files maintained in the plugin. What would people think if I renamed the current Containers tab to Services (enumerated from docker-compose) and create a new tab called Containers (enumerated from docker containers ls --all)?

• I don't mind, I suppose showing all running containers whether started from plugin or CLI using (docker container ps --all), would stop a lot of the accusations of containers going missing, when upgrading to Docker-compose plugin, especially as I expect there are quite a few systems still to upgrade.

I would like Services being in the menu before containers though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!