Backup issue

• After following the Youtube video from TechnoDadLife (

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    ) twice, I get an issue when I try to boot from the 'backup' drive.

I realize the video is 2 years old, but the comments do not mention any such issues - or, at least I did not find any

My OMV version - latest 6.?? (It'd sure be nice to have the exact version shown in the 'About' page)

My OS drive is a SSD, the backup drive is a 500GB laptop drive (a previously used drive)

After running the backup command, when trying to boot from the newly backed up drive, I ran into issues where the boot messages from the PC terminal advised me that I would have to manually run fsck?? on /dev/sda1, which I did.

It advised me that somethings needed fixing, I agree to a couple of the requests, but gave up eventually and tried to boot from the disk anyhow - needless to say without luck, on the first try.

After checking the drive with GSmartControl disk checker and getting a clean bill of health, I copied the OS once more and tried to boot again.

When I tried to boot from the new 'backup', I got the same issues as before, tried to clean a couple of the remedies offered by fschk and eventually gave up.

Just now, as I tried to reproduce the issues and error messages for this question, lo and behold, the PC booted properly, without any hiccups and is now running OMV as far as I can tell.

Now, my original questions are slightly modified, but still much the same:

What is going on?

Is the proposed way the only and best way?

What, if any thing can I do to make sure this issue does not come back, i.e. do I really have a usable back up drive?

and loads more questions, related to all of this :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is going on?

No idea, I haven't seen that video. I won't waste time watching a two year old video based on OMV5.

Is the proposed way the only and best way?

Search the forum and the omv-extras wiki for updated procedures. If you can't find information or have questions, ask your questions.

What, if any thing can I do to make sure this issue does not come back, i.e. do I really have a usable back up drive?

Don't follow outdated videos. The author will no longer support you, try it and you will see the result.

• That process is copying a live OS to another drive using dd.

Personally, I think if you want a full bit-for-bit clone of an os drive to another drive, it's best to not have it live while trying to clone as files can be locked and or writes happening to them while the clone is happening. I'd recommend using clonezilla for that, as you can install clonezilla as a bootable option in the kernel plugin. Then you reboot into clonezilla, run the clone and reboot normally.

Also if you are still running OMV5, I'd recommend moving to OMV6 also. OMV6 also has a backup plugin that can do the OS drive on a schedule, and has the option to use several different backup options.

I personally run an fsarchiver based backup via a scheduled custom script I created because it can work on a live filesystem, I have the script doing a bit more under the hood stuff than the plugin (it also runs chente's regenerate routines), it's something I am comfortable with and have used for a long time, but the plugin has options for fsarchiver, dd, borg, and rsync, and I'm pretty sure the implementation of dd, fsarchiver and borg in the plugin work very well from what I have read on the forum.

• Search the forum and the omv-extras wiki for updated procedures. If you can't find information or have questions, ask your questions.

Don't follow outdated videos. The author will no longer support you, try it and you will see the result.

That is what I had intended /wanted to do with my question.

Much of what I had found regarding 'backups' (and the backup plugin) only seems to back backup parts.

Being a relative noob to OMV, I figured, that procedure ought to have stood the test of time since it only uses 'standard' linux commands AFAIK :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is what I had intended /wanted to do with my question.

Much of what I had found regarding 'backups' (and the backup plugin) only seems to back backup parts.

Being a relative noob to OMV, I figured, that procedure ought to have stood the test of time since it only uses 'standard' linux commands AFAIK

The openmediavault-backup plugin makes full backups using several methods to choose from. They all work. The differences between one and the other are fundamentally the restoration methods. Some require more knowledge and/or skill than others. Make sure you are able to restore your backup, otherwise you don't really have a backup, you'll just have wasted your time.

There are several guides that you can consult in the guides section of the forum.

• BernH: The fact that I did no stop OMV, would probably explain the issues I was having.

Thank you for pointing that out.

I am running 6.?? but IIRC, my previous look at the backup plugin left me with the wrong impression. Will have to reread the plugin docs again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

An easy method, until you are comfortable with other procedures, is to use a USB flash drive for the operating system. openmediavault-flashmemory will ensure its durability.

Just make an image of that flash drive and you already have your backup. Many do not worry about doing anything else, they continue to do the same thing after years and years.

• Another option, but as a noob, and not really wanting to "fix things that ain't broke", I need to make sure I can schedule enough time away from my usual work to 'upgrade' to something new and untried (for myself) such as even a new way to make backups.

Will certainly give it a shot on the next open 'slot'

Thank you.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!