dpkg prob Rpi3

• Hello, every now and then i run in a prob with dpkg when doing updates. It´s always to be solved by dpkg --configure -a', but i would like to analyze it and remove the cause. How can i do that?

Thanx in advance, Klaus

OMV 6.5.0-3 | RPi 2 Mod.B V1.1 | Sandisk Extreme Pro microSD 32 GB | 3x WD7500BEKT
    OMV 6.5.0-3 | RPi 3 Mod.B | Sandisk Extreme Pro microSD 32 GB 4 | SSD 320gb

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello, every now and then i run in a prob with dpkg when doing updates. It´s always to be solved by dpkg --configure -a', but i would like to analyze it and remove the cause. How can i do that?

Thanx in advance, Klaus

That command comes up when dpkg is interrupted and does not complete an upgrade process. Do you have a cron job to shut the server down after it updates, or are you powering off after upgrades for some reason?

If it is happening regularly to you, it sounds like aren't finishing before the machine is shut down.

• That command comes up when dpkg is interrupted and does not complete an upgrade process. Do you have a cron job to shut the server down after it updates, or are you powering off after upgrades for some reason?

If it is happening regularly to you, it sounds like aren't finishing before the machine is shut down.

Thank you for answering. But I am not aware to have any cron job, at least none installed by myself. And the system is on 24/7....

OMV 6.5.0-3 | RPi 2 Mod.B V1.1 | Sandisk Extreme Pro microSD 32 GB | 3x WD7500BEKT

• You may have a look into /var/log/apt/term.log and /var/log/dpkg.log if there is a hint what happens.

Could not see a hint. Both with date from today. But i realized, dpkg has 0644 rights, while term.log has 0640. Could that be a hint?

Btw, tried to upload logs, but failed (The file extension is invalid.)

• Still got this update prob.´To give some further informations to potential helpers:

When updating via gui process will crash (loosing connection) at "Setting up Salt environment". Dashboards "System Information" shows update itself installed, however, it still announces "Update available".

Annoying being forced to run dpkg --configure -a after every update... ;)

update: Dashboards "System Information" changed status after some time, "No update available". So, everything's fine but the "crash" (loosing connection) while updating. Maybe it's due to Rpi3 limitations needing more time to write?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von KlausR ()

• update2. Confusing. Dashboards "System Information" showed update as installed (6.7.1-2 (Shaitan), but email notifications still warned about updates available and

Code
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to co=
    rrect the problem.

So i logged in and ran 'dpkg --configure -a'. It crashed. Power off/Power on: no boot.

Glad to have a second sdcard being halfway up to date. But obviously i got a real problem.

Could anyone be so kind to help me with troubleshooting?

• Am I asking the wrong questions here? It can't be due to a lack of politeness that no one responds...

If someone should be found, here is the latest status:

I have run a search in the gui because of the reported updates. Very long lasting, and in between, it looked like a crash (several points in the dashboard completely red). But then came to end, dashboard was ok.

The updates themselves I then made via putty, to see possible errors immediately. I discovered the following:

Code
    Setting up salt-minion (3006.0+ds-1+191.1) ...
    salt-minion.service is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it.
    Setting up openmediavault (6.8.0-1) ...

I don't know if this could have anything to do with my problem....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I asking the wrong questions here? It can't be due to a lack of politeness that no one responds...

It's not for lack of courtesy, certainly not. You're not asking the wrong questions either.

I think this is what limits the possible answers:

Maybe it's due to Rpi3 limitations needing more time to write?

Since there are no answers I'll give you my opinion, just so you don't think that no one reads your thread.

I have nothing to base it on, only intuition. You should keep in mind that the Raspberry PI 3 worked well with previous versions of OMV, but the software evolves and over time the hardware must too to follow the software.

I would say the lack of answers is because no one likes to say this, so I'll tell you. Maybe you should dedicate the Raspberry PI3 to other uses and upgrade your server hardware a bit. The Raspberry PI3 will probably outgrow it unless you're just setting up basic services, and that will end up failing one day too. I'm sorry.

• Thank you for answering, Chente. Just writing alone here all the time is a bit lonely ;)

My second Rpi is a 2b. Running omv6 without probs, it contains docker for pihole e.g.

The one with that dpkg prob (Rpi3b) has indeed some more docker containers running (on SSD). Do you think, that's the point?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you for answering, Chente. Just writing alone here all the time is a bit lonely

You are welcome. ;)

The one with that dpkg prob (Rpi3b) has indeed some more docker containers running (on SSD). Do you think, that's the point?

I would honestly say yes. The Raspberry PI3 has 1GB of RAM, if you look up the OMV minimum requirements you will find that that is the minimum, 1 GB.

So if you also have containers, etc., you are probably pushing the hardware beyond what it supports.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My second Rpi is a 2b. Running omv6 without probs, it contains docker for pihole e.g.

The PI3 is just a slightly more powerful PI2.

I'm not an expert on Raspberrys, there are people here who know a lot more about Raspberrys than I do. I'm only saying this from what I've been able to read.

• I'm not an expert on Raspberrys, there are people here who know a lot more about Raspberrys than I do. I'm only saying this from what I've been able to read.

Thank you for that.

I could have a try to stop containers in compose before executing updates

• I suppose I found a solution without making any changes to my configuration (e.g. running docker images). Maybe it is useful for other rpi users.

I avoid to execute updates shown in the gui directly . First I run the update search. The installation is done afterwards.

So basically apt update and apt upgrade separately.

Since I choose this procedure, no more problems with crashing dpkg.

• KlausR

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • KlausR

Hat das Label Update hinzugefügt.
  • KlausR

Hat den Titel des Themas von „dpkg prob“ zu „dpkg prob Rpi3“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!