Docker compose plugin - Substitution string for shared folders paths in compose files

• I really like the "CHANGE_TO_COMPOSE_DATA_PATH" substitution string that you can write in the docker compose files. It makes storing the configuration for the containers very easy. And it makes the files more portable between systems.

But what i noticed is that my compose files are still not portable between systems because in almost every file i have multiple "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/[name of shared folder]" strings because the containers need to access some data on my shared folders. And if i switch systems or change my hard drive i have to replace them all with the uuid of another hard drive.

Would it be possible to introduce another substitution string like for example "CHANGE_TO_SHAREDFOLDER_PATH[name]" that gets auto replaced by the plugin with "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/[name]"? I don't know if using "[" and "]" in that string is a good idea, that is just an example.

Then it would be possible to copy the compose files between systems as long as you keep the shared folder names the same.

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I use enviroment variable ( Global section)

and simple write on it

PUID=1000

ConfigPath=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

etc.

And use $Variables in Yaml file like this:

• Offizieller Beitrag

But what i noticed is that my compose files are still not portable between systems because in almost every file i have multiple "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/[name of shared folder]" strings because the containers need to access some data on my shared folders. And if i switch systems or change my hard drive i have to replace them all with the uuid of another hard drive.

Set up a symlink on your system for the data volume. Use the symlink in the compose file. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…r_in_omv#why_use_symlinks

• Offizieller Beitrag

And it makes the files more portable between systems.

But what i noticed is that my compose files are still not portable between systems

The file isn't meant to be portable. The database entry would be portable if the second system was running OMV and the compose plugin. If you cut and paste out of the web interface between the two systems, you wouldn't have an issue. Otherwise, the symlink or global env variable is the way.

omv 7.1.0-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.5

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The file isn't meant to be portable. The database entry would be portable if the second system was running OMV and the compose plugin. If you cut and paste out of the web interface between the two systems, you wouldn't have an issue. Otherwise, the symlink or global env variable is the way.

I am not copying the .yml files from system to system. I have a text file with all my compose configurations from where i paste the text into the files section of the compose plugin webinterface. But its very annoying to redo all the "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/" strings every time.

The solution with global env variable is easy to do. I will just use that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not copying the .yml files from system to system. I have a text file with all my compose configurations from where i paste the text into the files section of the compose plugin webinterface. But its very annoying to redo all the "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/" strings every time.

I assume both systems are not OMV?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.5

• dR2X3m9.jpg

I have 3x NanoPi R6C here. Each one with Armbian Bullseye and OMV (installed with your installScript). And i need to run the same Docker Containers on each of them but the M.2 drives have different UUID.

Why do you think i am not using OMV?

• But its very annoying to redo all the "/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/" strings every time.

On each independant OMV server (since the UUIDs are different) use the SYMLINK plugin and make any amount of paths constant on each containers.

Let's say you need 3x equal PATHs

OMV server 1:

/path1/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-XYZ/path1

/path2/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-XYZ/path2

/path3/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-XYZ/path3

OMV server 2:

/path1/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-UVW/path1

/path2/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-UVWpath2

/path3/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-UVW/path3

OMV server 3:

/path1/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-RST/path1

/path2/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-RST/path2

/path3/ linked to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-RST/path3

Now, use those links on the YMLs volume bindings:

Code
    volumes:
     - /path1/:/PATH NEEDED ON THE CONTAINER
     - /path2/:/PATH NEEDED ON THE CONTAINER
     - /path3/:/PATH NEEDED ON THE CONTAINER

When using the same YML but on a different system, it will use the path you need, even if on a different UUID.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why do you think i am not using OMV?

Because you mentioned that you were copying the compose file from a txt file instead of from the compose plugin with the CHANGE_TO_COMPOSE_DATA_PATH in the file. If you just update the txt file with the CHANGE_TO_COMPOSE_DATA_PATH string or cut & paste between omv web interface, it would automatically update the path based on what you have in the settings tab. No need to do anything with env file or symlinks or anything else.

• Because you mentioned that you were copying the compose file from a txt file instead of from the compose plugin with the CHANGE_TO_COMPOSE_DATA_PATH in the file. If you just update the txt file with the CHANGE_TO_COMPOSE_DATA_PATH string or cut & paste between omv web interface, it would automatically update the path based on what you have in the settings tab. No need to do anything with env file or symlinks or anything else.

I have that CHANGE_TO_COMPOSE_DATA_PATH string in my text file, but only for container "/config" volumes. The containers also need access to other shared folders.

I guess if i put shared folders inside shared folders and use the top one as Compose Data path that would work, but i would prefer not to do that and keep things separate.

(BEFORE)

volumes:

- CHANGE_TO_COMPOSE_DATA_PATH/Containername:/config

- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/SharedFolder1/SubFolder1:/data/SubFolder1

- /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/SharedFolder2/SubFolder2:/data/SubFolder2

(THAT WAS MY IDEA)

volumes:

- CHANGE_TO_SHAREDFOLDER_PATH[SharedFolder1]/SubFolder1:/data/SubFolder1

- CHANGE_TO_SHAREDFOLDER_PATH[SharedFolder2]/SubFolder2:/data/SubFolder2

(WHAT I USE NOW)

volumes:

- $DrivePath/SharedFolder1/SubFolder1:/data/SubFolder1

- $DrivePath/SharedFolder2/SubFolder2:/data/SubFolder2

with global env:

DrivePath=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess if i put shared folders inside shared folders and use the top one as Compose Data path that would work, but i would prefer not to do that and keep things separate.

global environment variables is definitely what you need then.

• I'm done now with installing all the systems and the global environment variable solution worked without a problem.

But i still think it would be a useful feature for the docker compose plugin to provide more information about the local system automatically to the containers.

Only having the information about the location of one single shared folder with "CHANGE_TO_COMPOSE_DATA_PATH" is very limiting.

If not with substitution strings then with global environment variables that get automatically inserted when you activate an option in the plugin.

(example)

OMV_COMPOSE_PUID_(Name)=xxxx (only for Users that display in omv webinterface)

OMV_COMPOSE_PGID_(Name)=xxxx

OMV_COMPOSE_LOCALTIMEZONE=xxxx/xxxxx

OMV_COMPOSE_SHAREDFOLDERPATH_(Name1)=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/SharedFolder1

OMV_COMPOSE_SHAREDFOLDERPATH_(Name2)=/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/SharedFolder2

etc...

• Offizieller Beitrag

The global environment variables do that now. If you add your example variables to the global to the plugin and the just use ${OMV_COMPOSE_SHAREDFOLDERPATH_Name1} in any compose file where you want to use that folder, it will use it. Same with the other variables in your example. Not sure how that could get any better.

• The global environment variables do that now. If you add your example variables to the global to the plugin and the just use ${OMV_COMPOSE_SHAREDFOLDERPATH_Name1} in any compose file where you want to use that folder, it will use it. Same with the other variables in your example. Not sure how that could get any better.

I am talking about the omv compose plugin automatically creating these variables from information on the local system and inserting them into global environment as an option. Not writing them by hand.

Or you could split "Data" into "Container Data" and "Container Configuration" with 2 different shared folders and 2 string substitutions. So its possible to use "Container Configuration" for all the "/config"-folders and "Container Data" for all the persistent container data folders or reference already existing shared folders for data. But that would bloat the plugin config page i guess.

Don't get me wrong. These are just ideas. I don't know if you still want to add any features to the compose plugin or if you consider it feature complete.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am talking about the omv compose plugin automatically creating these variables from information on the local system and inserting them into global environment as an option. Not writing them by hand.

I don't how or when or what would do this. I guess timezone would be easy but it is possible someone would want to use UTC in one container and their local timezone in another. So, creating this by default might cause people to have to remove it.

Or you could split "Data" into "Container Data" and "Container Configuration" with 2 different shared folders and 2 string substitutions. So its possible to use "Container Configuration" for all the "/config"-folders and "Container Data" for all the persistent container data folders or reference already existing shared folders for data. But that would bloat the plugin config page i guess.

I think people are already confused having a sharedfolder for compose files, a sharedfolder for container data, and a path for docker storage. Adding another shared folder for container config would be confusing I think. I just put data in a data subfolder and config in a config subfolder of the container data shared folder.

Don't get me wrong. These are just ideas. I don't know if you still want to add any features to the compose plugin or if you consider it feature complete.

Always open to ideas and new features. I don't know that I ever declare a plugin feature complete. I just try to balance ease of use for noobs, advanced features for advanced users, and maintainability of the plugin.

• I don't how or when or what would do this. I guess timezone would be easy but it is possible someone would want to use UTC in one container and their local timezone in another. So, creating this by default might cause people to have to remove it.

These variables would to need a have a special unique name so they don't conflict with anything else.

You would not overwrite any default variables like "TZ". There would be an "OMV_COMPOSE_LOCALTIMEZONE" variable and for the docker compose file you would write:

environment:

- TZ=$OMV_COMPOSE_LOCALTIMEZONE

or

volumes:

- $OMV_COMPOSE_SHAREDFOLDERPATH_Name1/SubFolder1:/data/Subfolder1

These names are just placeholders. Since OpenMediaVault environment variables already start with "OMV_" this would be confusing. They would need to start with some other string.

I think people are already confused having a sharedfolder for compose files, a sharedfolder for container data, and a path for docker storage. Adding another shared folder for container config would be confusing I think. I just put data in a data subfolder and config in a config subfolder of the container data shared folder.

Yes that is true. Even more shared folders would make it more complicated for beginners.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can try this. https://docs.docker.com/compos…file-v3/#extension-fields

Here is how to use it. https://www.smarthomebeginner.…ocker-compose-guide-2022/

• Offizieller Beitrag

These variables would to need a have a special unique name so they don't conflict with anything else.

You would not overwrite any default variables like "TZ". There would be an "OMV_COMPOSE_LOCALTIMEZONE" variable and for the docker compose file you would write:

So, there would just pre-populate the global environment file. I still not sure what would maintain that list. I guess saltstack could but then it would get weird if people wanted to delete some/all them.

• Seems nice if you have to repeat the same section for a large number of containers. I need to read more about YAML anchors i guess.

So, there would just pre-populate the global environment file. I still not sure what would maintain that list. I guess saltstack could but then it would get weird if people wanted to delete some/all them.

I don't know what salt can do and where its limitations are. But i think people would not be happy if it messes with their perfectly handcrafted global environment. It would need to be separate and only inserted during container creation.

Sounds problematic. How is a data directory automatically discerned? Is $HOME valid?

No. Just a few variables with basic info like timezone or shared folder paths with custom names. Or else it could be a security risk.

Maybe more users can comment if it would be helpful to them to reference shared folders by name in compose files or if its not needed. All my omv machines are running fine without it and some copy&pasting, but it can't hurt to throw around some ideas.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!