Windows permission for access to shared folder

• I am running OMV 6.7.1-2 on a RPi 4 with a 2 TB drive attached. I have my shared folder created and want to restrict access to it for all that can access the network. If I go in services and set SMB/CIFS shares to GUEST ALLOWED or GUESTS ONLY, everyone has full access to the folder. If I set it to NO , Windows file explorer requests network credentials of username and password; but no username and password is set in OMV for access. What would I put in? Why is user and password being asked when none were set?

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I am running OMV 6.7.1-2 on a RPi 4 with a 2 TB drive attached. I have my shared folder created and want to restrict access to it for all that can access the network. If I go in services and set SMB/CIFS shares to GUEST ALLOWED or GUESTS ONLY, everyone has full access to the folder. If I set it to NO , Windows file explorer requests network credentials of username and password; but no username and password is set in OMV for access. What would I put in? Why is user and password being asked when none were set?

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• you need to create users on OMV webgui whit same name and password that you use on windows.

I did not know this....

I have [one] user in Windows 11, (my name) and a long ass password. OMV has user=docker,password=password [neither related to winders l/p] and works fine . Am I just lucky?

I had assumed the user that logs in on the initial mount is the "bridged" user for whatever windows user logs in the first place.

• I did not know this....

I have [one] user in Windows 11, (my name) and a long ass password. OMV has user=docker,password=password [neither related to winders l/p] and works fine . Am I just lucky?

I had assumed the user that logs in on the initial mount is the "bridged" user for whatever windows user logs in the first place.

what @raulfg3 said is not true you can create any named user and password. All you are doing is sharing a folder why would it have to be the same username and password. My windows 11 is a anti bloatware mega mega lite no bullshit. there is not even a option to pick a named user yet it works fine.

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

what raulfg3 said is not true you can create any named user and password.

No. raulfg3 is correct. Keep in mind there are many ways this can be done. One of the easier ways, from a LAN user's perspective, is to have their work station logon work transparently grant them access to the server.

If the exact same user + password is created on the server (OMV) AND the "users" group has access to a network share, the server will grant access without username / password dialog boxes. This method works with "most" Windows Clients and it allows a server Admin to differentiate share accesses between different users.

On the other hand a generic username + password entered into the credential manager (saved in the access dialog box) works as well. But this approach can't differentiate between different users. It's a generic server logon that grants the same access to all users.

• No. raulfg3 is correct. Keep in mind there are many ways this can be done. One of the easier ways, from a LAN user's perspective, is to have their work station logon work transparently grant them access to the server.

If the exact same user + password is created on the server (OMV) AND the "users" group has access to a network share, the server will grant access without username / password dialog boxes. This method works with "most" Windows Clients and it allows a server Admin to differentiate share accesses between different users.

On the other hand a generic username + password entered into the credential manager (saved in the access dialog box) works as well. But this approach can't differentiate between different users. It's a generic server logon that grants the same access to all users.

You can make any username and password and just add it to the pop up box click remember me and job is done. by having the same name and password you save about 10 seconds of time. You don't HAVE too as stated. just saves about 10 seconds if you do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can make any username and password and just add it to the pop up box click remember me and job is done. by having the same name and password you save about 10 seconds of time. You don't HAVE too as stated. just saves about 10 seconds if you do.

You said (quote)

what raulfg3 said is not true

There is a difference be "don't have to" and "is not true". BOTH ways work. "That" is the point.

One method (the workstation logon username + password) is user specific and works well for LAN's with multiple users. This method is useful to home admin's for restricting access to some shares from children or, in the case of businesses, different levels of access for employees.

The other (a generic username + password), entered into a share access dialog box, works as well but it grants the same access to everyone that uses it. This might be fine for home admins who don't care about user specific accesses.

• _____________________________________________________________________

You said (quote)

There is a difference be "don't have to" and "is not true". BOTH ways work. "That" is the point.

Raulg3 said

you need to create users on OMV webgui whit same name and password that you use on windows.

Need is not true. "need is NOT both ways"

Code
    Need
    noun
    A condition or situation in which something must be supplied in order for a certain condition to be maintained or a desired state to be achieved.

MUST

hey I like using bold.

• Offizieller Beitrag

BlueCoffee If you didn't know it, @raulg3 is a Spaniard. Unless I miss my guess, English is his second language but he does a great job on the forum in English nonetheless. Along those lines, while newer to the forum, you're doing a good job of dealing with user questions as well.

So, let me put it this way:

Address the user's issue. When posting in a user's thread, don't try to call out other forum contributors unless they are grossly, and I do mean grossly, wrong. In this instance, that was not the case. No one was wrong. Both methods work. It's just a matter preference. As such, your opinion and @raulg3's opinion can be offered to the user, then let the user decide which method they want to use.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No. raulfg3 is correct. Keep in mind there are many ways this can be done. One of the easier ways, from a LAN user's perspective, is to have their work station logon work transparently grant them access to the server.

Is this a good time to bring up how to properly setup and use Group Permissions? :)

I agree w/ every word you said in this thread. There was nothing wrong with raul's advice.. I suspect it as more a translation issue, but his info was still accurate.

• BlueCoffee If you didn't know it, @raulg3 is a Spaniard. Unless I miss my guess, English is his second language but he does a great job on the forum in English nonetheless. Along those lines, while newer to the forum, you're doing a good job of dealing with user questions as well.

So, let me put it this way:

Address the user's issue. When posting in a user's thread, don't try to call out other forum contributors unless they are grossly, and I do mean grossly, wrong. In this instance, that was not the case. No one was wrong. Both methods work. It's just a matter preference. As such, your opinion and @raulg3's opinion can be offered to the user, then let the user decide which method they want to use.

Fair enough apologies for the post. was at a funereal that day so was snappy I guess.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Fair enough apologies for the post. was at a funereal that day so was snappy I guess.

Nothing to be sorry about, it happens. It's easy to forget a lot of posters here, English is not their native tongue. Many of them English isn't even their 2nd language, and they are using Google Translate or something else to translate their posts and the posts that respond. raul is one who generally (in my observation) tries to actually speak solutions rather than just plug everything in Google Translate. Even then, I don't recall ever seeing him give bad info, but a few times it came across a bit disjointed to a native English speaker.

Sorry for your loss.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!