Updated OMV6 and now none of my computers can see my shared folders!

• Hello there!

I'm new to Linux and OMV. I've had it set up for months and it's been working WONDERFULLY!

I believe I've made a big problem for myself today. I hadn't logged in to the web interface for a while, and upon logging in, OMV6 told me I had 60-some updates to install. Being new to this, I was like "Updates yeah! Those are a good to do thing!"

Now NONE of my machines can access my shared folder!

My equipment:

Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB running PiOS Lite from an SSD using an Argon case

OMV6, last updated months ago. ALL it does is share an external HDD with my LAN computers

Three Windows 10 Desktops and a couple laptops

Upon doing the updates, I did receive some issues and errors. Upon searching the web, clearing my browser's cookies turned everything back to normal. I can SSH into my Raspberry Pi, I can access OMV's web UI, and none of my settings have changed.

I have tried re-setting up SMB/CIFS. Nothing.

I have tried deleting my shared folder and re-sharing. Nope. I can still see the folder and all of its contents, but it just won't let me connect to it like I normally do. Just a big ol' red X over the Network Location that's been working so well for so long!

I've tried making a NEW folder on the SD card inside (SD card's hanging out doing nothing, anyway) and sharing that folder... Nothing!

Could anyone please assist in what, if anything else, I could do to troubleshoot this? My Raspberry Pi shows up in my network like normal, but all of my machines now get "Windows cannot access \\MyRPi'sName" "Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network."

• Raspy

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Updated OMV6 and now it's invisible!“ zu „Updated OMV6 and now none of my computers can see my shared folders!“ geändert.
  • crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • chente, I am unable to access via my poor Pi’s IP directly :c

votdev, is there a log that shows past errors? I was hunting around, but I didn’t stumble across an error log.

Additional question: Say I can’t fix stuff. If I delete everything and start fresh with my hard drive unplugged, would I be able to plug in and share the existing stuff on my HDD without reformatting it and losing all of its data?

Thank you both for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I delete everything and start fresh with my hard drive unplugged, would I be able to plug in and share the existing stuff on my HDD without reformatting it and losing all of its data?

Yes.

• Yes.

That’s fantastic. I think that’s the way I’ll go, then—OMV was very easy to set up. I’m just confounded as to how it broke so hard just doing normal updates!

I hafta figure out how to back up my OS and everything from my SSD to my SD card, so if this happens again, I can restore back to pre-update. I’ll look around for tutorials as to how I can do that.

Thank you again for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That’s fantastic. I think that’s the way I’ll go, then—OMV was very easy to set up.

To do this you just have to mount the hard drive after installing the system.

I hafta figure out how to back up my OS and everything from my SSD to my SD card, so if this happens again, I can restore back to pre-update. I’ll look around for tutorials as to how I can do that.

This could help you if the OMV database is in good condition. I don't know if it can help in your case because I don't know what's wrong with your system.

• To do this you just have to mount the hard drive after installing the system.

This could help you if the OMV database is in good condition. I don't know if it can help in your case because I don't know what's wrong with your system.

I’ll absolutely be reinstalling before I do any backup stuff.

Also, thank you so much for that resource! I was fiddling around with how I could backup when I first set it up, but I’m a newb and could only find something that I believe was imagine the whole SSD to the SD card—it was taking forever hahaha. I have much to learn!

You folks at this forum are extremely helpful and welcoming to a new user, and I appreciate that very much.

• One more newb question, in case anyone sees this:

How do I go about reinstalling OMV6? Do I fully reinstall PiOS from scratch and do it all over? Or is there a way to delete OMV and reinstall without reinstalling Linux? I do not mind fully reinstalling Linux, but I’m ignorant and curious as to if there’s a more efficient way.

• I’m not sure—my apologies! I do not know the ins and outs of Linux yet, so I do not know how to uninstall and reinstall programs without just reformatting the whole thing. My only other Linux experience since playing with Ubuntu in 2007 was my PiHole, which is a separate Raspberry Pi that I haven’t touched in years since setting it up.

After this experience, I'm scared I’ll break something if I update that…

• Update!

I have reinstalled and updated headless PiOS (I think that’s what it’s called?) from scratch and it does not appear that OMV is currently compatible with the latest version. I am receiving errors when attempting to install OMV, stating I have an unsupported version of PiOS.

Not a problem, I don’t mind waiting for an update! I just make this post because this may have been the problem when i tried to update the other day.

I thank you all again for your help!

• The newest PiOS is based on Debian 12. OMV6 requires Debian 11, so you would need the Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) Lite version to install OMV6 on.

OMV7 will supposedly be built for Debian 12. It has no firm release date yet that I am aware of, but should be available in the next couple of months based on the latest estimate. I don't know it it will work on the latest PiOS right away though.

• The newest PiOS is based on Debian 12. OMV6 requires Debian 11, so you would need the Raspberry Pi OS (Legacy) Lite version to install OMV6 on.

OMV7 will supposedly be built for Debian 12. It has no firm release date yet that I am aware of, but should be available in the next couple of months based on the latest estimate. I don't know it it will work on the latest PiOS right away though.

Fantastic, thank you so much!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!