Wich RAID for my use-case? Gerne auf Deutsch

• hey there,

i´m using OMV now since 5 years. The OS is running on a self build system.

The hardware is

- Supermicro X11-SCA-F (2x1GB LAN)

- Intel Pentium Gold G5400

- OS is installed on a 64GB SSD connected to the on board USB3

The whole thing is in a Inter-Tech 4U 4408 Housing.

Right now i have 8 HDD´s between 3 and 8TB Storage in the housing, 2 NVMe SSD on the mainboard and 2x 512GB SSD over a SATA connector card.

The things i need often, like documents, are stored on the SSD´s. One NVMe is for fast writing when TVHeadend is running, the other one whem i´m working with pictures.

All the storage devices are connected straight in OMV . No version of RAID is in use.

Now, with the cheaper prices for HDD´s, i´m thinI would hope king of a RAID. But wich version? Hard- or software? Raid 1,5,10 or ......

I would hope for some tips, link´s to hardware and so on.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Matt

• reeneex Here's some advice from my personal opinion:

- Hardware RAID only really exists in dedicated SATA/SAS RAID controller cards -- it doesn't sound like you'll be using that in your build... and it's really an unnecessary expense for home/small business/developmental purposes.

- Software RAID has become extremely flexible and easily manageable with modern open-source tools. MDADM seems to be the most prominent Soft RAID service currently and you can do just about anything with it! Even install OMV on a RAID array [I've done it, but won't go into more detail about it here 😜]

- RAID 1 is just the most basic level of fault-tolerance for people who aren't willing to invest in more than 2 disks, or only need very little data capacity. 50% loss of storage space to overhead is just too much for most people willing (or needing) better storage solutions to accept!

- RAID 10 is really only needed for large scale Database or Email servers... which doesn't sound much like what you're looking for. It's a mirror of two striped arrays, so like RAID 1, you still lose 50% storage space to overhead. I highly doubt this should interest you.

- RAID 5 is really the sweet-spot for home and small business RAID. It requires a minimum of 3 disks for an array but can be more. You only lose storage equal to one disk's capacity to overhead so the more disks you use the less capacity you lose to overhead! For example with three disks you lose 33%, four disks you lose 25%, five disks you lose 20%, etc. It's not as fast as RAID 0 [non fault tolerant striping] or RAID 10 but is faster than RAID 1.

- RAID 6 has all the benefits of RAID 5 but increases the tolerance of failed disks from one to two, and requires a minimum of 4 disks. The storage capacity lost to overhead is equivalent to the capacity of two disks. For this reason it's really not practical in arrays with less than eight disks. A six disk RAID 6 array loses 33% to overhead, eight disks loses 25%, and ten disks loses 20%, etc.

Good luck!

• sfcampbell

so basicly the best for me is a RAID6.

I´m going to build a RAID 6 from the 8 HDD´s for all the stuff wich i do need need daily. With the 2 SSD´s i build a RAID1 for the things i need often. The OS i leave on the small SSD at the internal USB3

The NVMe´s.... One is 1TB and the other 512GB. Can i use the small one as a cache for the RAID 6? The 1Tb i leave as a "if needed" storage for fast reading and writing.

macom

i´m using it for data storage. mostly video, pictures and music. It is connected with the 2 LAN ports to my home network. This is running with a FritzBox 6660 for Internet, a 8 Port Ubiquiti Switch wich gives POE for the 3 Ubiquiti WLAN and a 24 port Netgear Switch JGS524Ev2

Basicly i´m using mostly a PC wich is connected over LAN to the network. I´m doing a bit Lightroom and Premiere after the holidays. Thats what the bigger NVMe is for.

The NAS is to keep the pictures and videos. Also i´m using a Nvidia Shield with Kodi as a media center. The TVShows and Movies are stored also in the NAS. Thats the only streaming.

What you guys suggest?

• macom

i want a RAID for better safety. Backup i do once a month on a external 6TB WD storage. There are the important documents and the important pictures. TVShows and movies i can download again, the same for music.

so basicly 1-2 TB on the backup once a month and for the rest the RAID6

• macom

i want a RAID for better safety. Backup i do once a month on a external 6TB WD storage. There are the important documents and the important pictures. TVShows and movies i can download again, the same for music.

so basicly 1-2 TB on the backup once a month and for the rest the RAID6

Just like to mention that RAID is NOT backup system

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• macom

i want a RAID for better safety.

Do you know how to restore / remove drives / add drives if there is a problem? its not a simple swap.

Raid is not a backup. make sure you have a second backup. I real backup

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• this was NOT my question. I was asking for advice wich RAID i´m supposed to use. For backup i have the external drive, like i mentioned before.

merg a few disks than have a backup 1 for 1 same size etc...

Plugins - compose, cputemp, omv-extras, sharerootfs.

Drives - 1tb nvme Data, 2TB nvme Leeching, 24TB (8tbx 3 merg) Media,

Docker - nginx-proxy-manager, plex, prowlarr, qbittorrentvpn, radarr, sonarr, watchtower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Backup i do once a month on a external 6TB WD storage.

With tested, solid backup, my second concern would be with "data integrity" on your primary server. Bit rot and other forms of corruption, that can result from a slowly failing hard drive, can ruin data at the source, before it's copied to backup. A traditional RAID array, with a filesystem layered onto it, won't give you that.

If you're going with a RAID implementation, you might consider ZFS for data integrity and self healing files.

• this was NOT my question. I was asking for advice wich RAID i´m supposed to use. For backup i have the external drive, like i mentioned before.

You just want some RAID and ask which one you should use. This already shows a major misunderstanding. You would never setup any RAID just because you feel like having one would be cool, or for ‚safety‘. Different kinds of RAID address different needs. So far you did not mention a single need you have that any RAID would address. The answer to your question is: No RAID at all.

When you have a certain need like „In case of drive failure I must reduce any downtime of my server“ - and you are willing to invest time and money, then there will be a RAID to address it.

Just setting up a RAID because it feels cool is bullshit.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!