Successful Migration from OMV 6 to OMV7

• Saw that it was now possible to upgrade to OMV 7...

I have an old Dual Core x86 with OMV6 and decided to give it a go today...

omv-release-upgrade

Everything appeared to be going well but saw a few errors along the way...It completed successfully...

I logged into the new OMV7 and was immediately presented with pending changes...

I attempted to install the changes but was presented with an error that it could not (Can't remember exact error)...

Decided to use the two following commands I had seen in another thread...

sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ckages/raw/master/install | sudo bash

sudo wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…raw/master/fix6to7upgrade | sudo bash

Both commands completed successfully. I rebooted and logged in again...

I was presented with the same Pending Changes message...I applied the changes and this time it was successful...

Checking everything else was working but I found that miniDLNA I could not change it's settings (It was working but I wanted

to shorten the name presented to my Network Devices). When I tried to make a change in the miniDLNA settings it just kept saying

it couldn't find the attribute netinterface. Eventually I just uninstalled and reinstalled miniDLNA and setup it's shares again. Now

I'm able to use the miniDLNA settings without issue.

Pretty much everything else (plugins) working in my simple OMV7 installation. (All Shares migrated without issue). Backed up OMV6 before upgrading just incase and am backing up

my newly created OMV7. Great day. Thanks to everyone here for the great forum information. I've been using OMV since version 4 but this

was the easiest upgrade I've experienced. Good luck to all on your migrations.

• Just to add I did a 6 to 7 upgrade on a Proxmox OMV VM. Not a complex setup, just a few disks, SMB, NFS, rsynch and a few dockers. Went without a hitch. Thanks to all involved in this great software.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• I had a flawless upgrade. I had to install the md plugin but the installer told me that. Zero issues so far. I was a little worred about having pihole running under docker, but the installer did everything it needed I guess without shutting that down. After reboot everything just worked.

Nice work to votdev and whomever else contributed!

• Want to upgrade your OpenMediaVault (OMV) to the latest version? You can upgrade by going into the web server for your OMV via its IP address, logging in with your admin account and then selecting “Update Manager” in the left menu and clicking “Check“.

• Want to upgrade your OpenMediaVault (OMV) to the latest version? You can upgrade by going into the web server for your OMV via its IP address, logging in with your admin account and then selecting “Update Manager” in the left menu and clicking “Check“.

i know how to do, just want to be sure that is not going to break my installation by checking if there are ppl with similar configuration to mine that had errors.

• Flawless update taking ~30min.

Code
    sudo omv-release-upgrade

RAM: 16GB

CPU: Intel Celeron J1900

Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411

Drives:

System: SSDSC2CT180A3 size: 167.68 GiB

Storage: 4x SSD 870 QVO 8TB

Storage filesystem: BTRFS Data RAID1, Metadata RAID1C3, System RAID1C3

Thanks to the devs for the painless experience. I was hoping for, but not expecting it to be this uneventful.

Additional info

My system was at the most up to date state of the old system BEFORE the upgrade because I regularly

"sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade"

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von burnbasket () aus folgendem Grund: Additional info

This is not working with my OMV 6 installation because it uprades only to the latest OMV 6 but not to OMV 7.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a difference between an upgrade and an release upgrade. A standard upgrade ensures that all packages within a major release are up-to-date, while a release upgrade upgrades from one major version to another (e.g. from OMV6 to OMV7)

• as i got it right, from one of your comment:

• After the first re-boot into OMV7 you will still need to

1. Install pve kernel 6.2 or 6.5 in order that the pve repo is installed.

2. re-boot into chosen pve kernel.

3. Update OMV7 in the normal way via WebUI Update Management.

4. Via the WebUI System omv-extras enable backports.

is it good idea to install proxmox kernel 6.5 from kernel plugin ?

• dtr That's only going to apply if you follow these steps first when you do the upgrade from 6 to 7 :

So in OMV6 at the CLI:

1. omv-changebackports no

2., omv-release-upgrade

3. re-boot

After the first re-boot into OMV7 you will still need to

1. Install pve kernel 6.2 or 6.5 in order that the pve repo is installed, via the WebUI.

2. re-boot into chosen pve kernel.

3. Update OMV7 in the normal way via WebUI Update Management.

4. Via the WebUI System omv-extras enable backports.

• in omv6 i did not disabled backpoets before upgrade to omv 7
    Now, when i try to install pve kernel 6.5 in omv7 i got errors:

PS. sorted it. dns was missing

PPS. after fixing DNS i was able to perform updates,
    now i got:

uname -r

6.5.13-3-pve

zfs -V

zfs-2.2.3-pve1

zfs-kmod-2.2.3-pve1
    As i understand it is still no good, zfs version must be higher ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

f you check the packages on your system you'll find dkms/zfs-dkms have been re-introduced, check the output of dkms status and the kernel has not been updated. See the last entries in this thread

The proxmox repo has newer zfs packages again meaning you don't need to disable backport. I also pushed an update of the kernel plugin that will update the proxmox repo when upgrading to omv7. My tests were very smooth and no dkms installed.

*** 2.2.3-pve1 500

500 http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve bookworm/pve-no-subscription amd64 Packages

100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

2.2.3-1~bpo12+1 100

100 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports/contrib amd64 Packages

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!