Access Denied when backing up files

• Okay thanks, I disconnected, cleared my browser cache and on reconnection (with Public no still) it says nobody nogroup. If I use Finder and connect via smb then I see the usual set of folders however General (the public no folder) cannot be opened - I get the error this can not longer be found. Which makes sense if I am connected as nobody. If I use Cyberduck to connect via smb then with my admin password General is still missing because diagnostics say smb is nobody nogroup. So even admin seems not to be working properly.

Can I create a new user with enough permissions to reset these folders?

Thanks a lot for everyone's help - much appreciated. It's 18:30 now in the UK - I can check posts later tonight and tomorrow morning. Thanks again!

In that case it looks like you need to logout of your MAC machine and log back in order that Finder asks for new credentials. If the General folder is no longer a public share you would expect to only open it with valid user credentials.

You don't need a new user to resetperms on the folders you are referring to. Just use the rest perms plugin in OMV WebUI set set the folder perms to "Administrator - read/write, Users - read/write, Others - read-only". Then create an appropriate share in OMV as previously described by macom with "NO" for public. Then with any new user account you've added to OMV ( automatically part of the "users" group ) go to "User Management" select that user account and then select "shared folder permissions" and set read/write perms for the appropriate folder and save & apply settings. Note what the webui says:

"These settings are used by the services to configure the access rights for the user "XXXX". Please note that these settings have no effect on file system permissions."

On your MAC machine Connect to the share using the credentials of that user account in OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't tell you what you'll see at a Mac Client or within various utilities.

What I'm talking about is Shared Folder permissions within OMV's GUI. They must match SMB permissions or open access won't work. (Note: SMB permissions DO NOT override Shared Folder permissions.)

The SMB permission "Guests Allowed" matches the Shared Folder Permission of Others - Read/Write (or at least read at the very minimum). BTW: Others - None, in Shared Folder permissions, equates to Guests NOT Allowed in SMB. That doesn't work.

Under Storage, Shared Folders, ACL, click on a share and then the Edit Icon.

The top box (red) are ACL's. If you have anything checked there, uncheck the boxes. Checking those boxes has the potential to create permission conflicts or even cancel Standard Linux permissions.

The bottom box (green) are Standard Linux permissions. To keep things relatively simple, this is where you would make changes.
    The owner should be: root
    (BTW: your pi user is in the "users" group so if the group users has at least read/write assigned, all should be good - no changes would be needed under Group.)
    Try the setting: Others - read/write/execute
    Check the Replace and Recursive Boxes and Save.

See what happens with the above permissions, along with the SMB setting Public - Guests Allowed.

• I noticed that you're using a Mac ...

For accessing your shares via smb from a Mac, did you set some important "fruit" parameter in your smb-server/shares configuration?

Please read here for additional information - Maybe you have to translate from german

Raspi 4B, 4GB RAM, SSD-Boot, 2TB & 1TB SSD as data-disks in Sata/USB enclosure, IcyBox USB3-Hub

• Hi Everyone thanks again for all your help. I have followed Teschbert and added the fruit commands (only). These commands were added without error. I then created the new shared folder with the default permissions as described by macom . It's GID was 100 and I see it in the users group with pi. I gave it read/write access.

I could not follow crashtest because on my GUI under storage, shared folders I do not see this screen. I attach a screenshot. Unfortunately under Diagnostics SMB/CIFS I still see nobody, nogroup.

When I try to use the resetpermis plugin and I select my new folder I just get operation not permitted as usual. I get the same on the General folder too. I should really confirm crashtest's post but where do I find that page? Thanks everyone!

• Thanks for the fast response. On my GUI ACL, snapshot and delete are all ghosted. I can only access the other four icons. This is true for all my shared folders.

• Thanks for the fast response. On my GUI ACL, snapshot and delete are all ghosted. I can only access the other four icons. This is true for all my shared folders.

You can't delete a referenced folder. You can't snapshot unless you're using BTRFS on your data drives. You cannot use ACL on filesystems that don't support it. So what filesystem have you used on your data drives?

• To summarise my access:

1 SSH - I can ssh via terminal or cyberduck and get into the folders. By this route my access is 755 and I cannot write to the folders.

2 SMB - the folders appear as SMB-CIFS in Finder and I can open them. I can access via my new user (now with guests allowed) or pi. Get info when logged in as guest shows read/write access for my new folder. Which is not right. On any other other folder Get Info says only me (on my mac) have read/write. Wrong again.

If I login as new user on any folder Get Info only say me (as logged in on my mac) have read/write, everyone has no access. Also wrong.

And Diagnostics, Services, SMB-CIFS says I am logged in as new user (feh123) - see screenshot! It seems the files are locked and I have read only access!

What is also odd is that all my folders were working fine up to 31-Dec and although I had not changed anything they failed on 1-Jan. Goodsync support tell me that Goodsync does nothing to permissions so cannot be responsible.

Does anything make sense? Thanks for your time looking at my issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I setup OMV I was unsure about which to use. In the end I went for exFAT as my mac Disc Utility would use exFAT.

I didn't want to intervene in this thread in which there are already several people involved, but I couldn't help myself when reading this. This is your problem. You must use native Linux file systems.

I'm leaving...

• Oh! When I first looked at what format to use I found web sites (including one OMV) that gave me the instructions. I automount my exFAT drives with fstab that contains the exFAT instruction too.

I admit I was unsure - but I wanted something that seemed to bridge Apple and the RPi.

Looks like I was wrong.

Is there a good Disk Format that's okay with mac APFS usb drives and OMV/RPi? My hope is that I can still use the data on the exFAT drives and transfer it to a fresh drive (properly formatted).

Thanks for the info!

• I didn't want to intervene in this thread in which there are already several people involved, but I couldn't help myself when reading this. This is your problem. You must use native Linux file systems.

I'm leaving...

Why do you think I asked the question? It was obvious the OP had used an in appropriate filesystem as soon as no access to the ACL option for shared folders was mentioned.

• Oh! When I first looked at what format to use I found web sites (including one OMV) that gave me the instructions. I automount my exFAT drives with fstab that contains the exFAT instruction too.

I admit I was unsure - but I wanted something that seemed to bridge Apple and the RPi.

Looks like I was wrong.

Is there a good Disk Format that's okay with mac APFS usb drives and OMV/RPi? My hope is that I can still use the data on the exFAT drives and transfer it to a fresh drive (properly formatted).

Thanks for the info!

As chente says you really need to use a native Linux filesystem for your data drives when using OMV. It's such a pity you didn't ask on the forum about which filesystem to use for your data drives and so save yourself the headache of trying to troubleshoot your problems.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why do you think I asked the question?

Yes, you obviously found the key. I was only following the thread from afar after 50 posts :) Just that answer about exFAT made me jump.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ryecoaaron Maybe you could add this as error 13 here: Do not use non-native linux filesystems for OMV data folders.

It is repeated on the forum over and over again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe you could add this as error 13 here: Do not use non-native linux filesystems for OMV data folders.

Added. If you want to change the wording, feel free.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!