ZFS on OMV 7

• Hi All,

I'm a newbie to OMV and ZFS in general, this is my 1st time installing NAS in general.

I've installed latest proxmox on old PC with LSI adapter with few SAS drives, PCIe passtrough and all is configured properly.

I've installed on top of proxmox the latest OMV, i did upgraded, installed from a script shell the omv extras and then zfs plugin.

I do see the drives, i was able to create ZFS pool but from reading thread's i'm not sure i'm using the optimal settings (i.e. kernel/module) i've seen i need to have proxmox kernel within my OMV.

below is my module and kernel, is it ok or should i do anything else, i'm asking this before i start the enter this NAS into my home "production" :)

root@omv:~# zfs -V

zfs-2.1.11-1

zfs-kmod-2.1.11-1

Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 6.1.0-20-amd64 (this is from GUI)

root@omv:~# dpkg -l | grep linux-

ii binutils-x86-64-linux-gnu 2.40-2 amd64 GNU binary utilities, for x86-64-linux-gnu target

ii firmware-linux-free 20200122-1 all Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel

ii firmware-linux-nonfree 20230210-5 all Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (metapackage)

ii linux-base 4.9 all Linux image base package

ii linux-compiler-gcc-12-x86 6.1.85-1 amd64 Compiler for Linux on x86 (meta-package)

ii linux-headers-6.1.0-20-amd64 6.1.85-1 amd64 Header files for Linux 6.1.0-20-amd64

ii linux-headers-6.1.0-20-common 6.1.85-1 all Common header files for Linux 6.1.0-20

ii linux-headers-amd64 6.1.85-1 amd64 Header files for Linux amd64 configuration (meta-package)

ii linux-image-6.1.0-18-amd64 6.1.76-1 amd64 Linux 6.1 for 64-bit PCs (signed)

ii linux-image-6.1.0-20-amd64 6.1.85-1 amd64 Linux 6.1 for 64-bit PCs (signed)

ii linux-image-amd64 6.1.85-1 amd64 Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)

ii linux-kbuild-6.1 6.1.85-1 amd64 Kbuild infrastructure for Linux 6.1

ii linux-libc-dev:amd64 6.1.85-1 amd64 Linux support headers for userspace development

ii util-linux-extra 2.38.1-5+deb12u1 amd64 interactive login tools

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend installing the openmediavault-kernel plugin and installing the proxmox kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I recommend installing the openmediavault-kernel plugin and installing the proxmox kernel.

So your saying my current settings is not optimal. i was unable to find official documentation on how to do it with OMV 7.

How do i do that on OMV 7?

should i destroy the zfs pool i've already created for that?

Where can i find step-by-step for how to enable zfs for OMV7?

• That's OK. But before you load data on to your pool just check it's been created with correct value for ashift and other properties. If you've not destroyed the first pool you created you'll probably want to do an zpool upgrade to make use of new ZFS features.

• That's OK. But before you load data on to your pool just check it's been created with correct value for ashift and other properties. If you've not destroyed the first pool you created you'll probably want to do an zpool upgrade to make use of new ZFS features.

Thanks for your response.

So if i just destroy/delete the pool and create it again it will be created with all correct values and properties?

• Thanks for your response.

So if i just destroy/delete the pool and create it again it will be created with all correct values and properties?

You don't necessarily have to destroy your first pool. But when creating pools via the WebUI just pick the appropriate values and make sure to set devices by-id , ashift = 12 and compression lz4 or zstd.

• You don't necessarily have to destroy your first pool. But when creating pools via the WebUI just pick the appropriate values and make sure to set devices by-id , ashift = 12 and compression lz4 or zstd.

Thank you for your answer.

since it's a fresh setup i have no problem to destroy and re-create. i did that with ashift 12 already, and lz4 compression. what other values should i set?

and when you say set the devices by id you mean instead of pick them from the drop down menu (/dev/sdb /dev/sdc etc...) i should grab their id (how do i find it) and put it?

• The ashift and compression values are pool properties set on pool creation which cannot changed at a later date. There are other properties associated with the ZFS filesystem created on the pool which you can view/set as you wish via the WebUI.

You pick the devices from the drop down menu, but set the device alias to "by-id".

The other very important factor is the pool layout. How many hard drives are you using and what layouts have you considered?

• I recommend installing the openmediavault-kernel plugin and installing the proxmox kernel.

It looks like the kernel plugin isn't available for OMV 7. :( Do I need to try to downgrade so I can get that, grab a kernel, then reupgrade? I don't know how to downgrade.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

It looks like the kernel plugin isn't available for OMV 7.

The openmediavault-kernel plugin is available in OMV7. You have to install omv-extras previously.

• The openmediavault-kernel plugin is available in OMV7. You have to install omv-extras previously.

Thanks for the link. It seems the image I got for my FriendlyElec board already had Extras installed. I removed and reinstalled with the command line. omv-kernel still doesn't show up in the list on the plugin page. Because kernel wasn't listed under the branch for OMV7 on the wiki I thought maybe it just wasn't available. Could it be because it's ARM not x64?

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the link. It seems the image I got for my FriendlyElec board already had Extras installed. I removed and reinstalled with the command line. omv-kernel still doesn't show up in the list on the plugin page. Because kernel wasn't listed under the branch for OMV7 on the wiki I thought maybe it just wasn't available. Could it be because it's ARM not x64?

I think most of the plugins in omv-extras are botgh ARM and x64, but it's possible.

Try this

In the webUI, System > omv-extras

and click the apt-clean button.

• Nope. Still goes from k8s to kvm on the list. (Yes, I hard refreshed the page too.)

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If it is an sbc you will not have the omv-kernel plugin available because it does not use grub.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If it is an sbc you will not have the omv-kernel plugin available because it does not use grub.

And the proxmox kernel on works on amd64 and all of the iso images only work on x86.

• Interesting. So, to sum up, I'm not seeing omv-kernel more because it's single board. than ARM, right? But because I don't have a bootloader (GRUB) there isn't an easy way to get a kernel that supports ZFS? I'm seeing that ZFS is available on RPi boards, is there still a way to get this support? I feel like I'm starting to get outside what the OMV community will support, but I'm at a loss as to finding instructions on how to do this more advanced configuration on my board.

Here's the hardware: https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/….php/CM3588#Hardware_Spec

• SoC: Rockchip RK3588
      • CPU: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A76(up to 2.4GHz) and quad-core Cortex-A55 CPU (up to 1.8GHz)
      • GPU: Mali-G610 MP4, compatible with OpenGLES 1.1, 2.0, and 3.2, OpenCL up to 2.2 and Vulkan1.2
      • VPU: 8K@60fps H.265 and VP9 decoder, 8K@30fps H.264 decoder, 4K@60fps AV1 decoder, 8K@30fps H.264 and H.265 encoder
      • NPU: 6TOPs, supports INT4/INT8/INT16/FP16
    • RAM: 64-bit 16GB LPDDR4X at 2133MHz
    • Flash: 0GB/64GB eMMC, at HS400 mode

Thank you all for the help.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I feel like I'm starting to get outside what the OMV community will support

It seems that way, yes.

In case it helps, in this thread you can see how someone did that "experiment" and apparently it worked. But you can also read opinions about the use of ZFS on a Raspberry.

• Neu
    • Offizieller Beitrag

ut because I don't have a bootloader (GRUB) there isn't an easy way to get a kernel that supports ZFS?

Adding zfs support for a kernel just requires installing zfs-dkms which will compile the zfs kernel module. Unfortunately, that requires installing the kernel headers which isn't always easy because it depends on the board. What image are you using for the cm3588? friendly or armbian?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!