Create RAID 5 from command line

• I have three drives from the same manufacturer. Two have the exact same serial number. So the web interface doesn't show one when setting up a raid array. I'm looking for some instruction on how to setup a raid 5 array from the command line that uses the /dev/disk/by-uuid entries .

I just want to setup in a way that would be compatible with the web interface.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• ryecoaaron

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • I was thinking of setting up the 3 drives as a raid 5 array.

A lot of important files, and family pictures are going to be on those drives, and I want to avoid data loss issues.

My previous NAS was a plain debian machine with raid 1 on two drives, but that machine is 7 years old now, and so are the drives, so I'm building a new machine with 3 new drives for storage.

If there is a better way to arrange the storage than in a raid 5 array, please feel free to suggest it.

• A RAID is in general not supposed to prevent any data loss. That is quite a common misinformation. RAIDs are used to prevent server down time in case of drive failure. To prevent data loss you need a proper backup strategy.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!