Samba Share Types in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

A whole extra plugin and webgui clutter when you could use "setfacl -b" or "seftacl -b -R" at the CLI?

The plugin does more than that. It can be used to reset the permissions to the default ownership and permissions. Including setgid.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A whole extra plugin and webgui clutter when you could use "setfacl -b" or "seftacl -b -R" at the CLI?

Always nice when people think I waste my time on plugins. Take a look at what it is really doing - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…r/usr/sbin/omv-resetperms

And the plugin adds a tab that shows where sharedfolders are being used. If those two tabs are "clutter", then it is great that is a plugin that you don't have to install.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @ryecoaaron You've misunderstood. I know what the reset plugin does. No one is saying you wasted your time. My point is that AFAIK you cannot clear an ACL entry from the shared folder using the ACL webui page. For example, you can give a given group read/write access, but later cannot selectively remove this ACL entry via the webui.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You've misunderstood. I know what the reset plugin does. No one is saying you wasted your time. My point is that AFAIK you cannot clear an ACL entry from the shared folder using the ACL webui page. For example, you can give a given group read/write access, but later cannot selectively remove this ACL entry via the webui.

That may be the case. I don't use ACLs and tell people not to. People are constantly having problems with them. Just another reason to not use them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

"Extended Permissions are not native to Linux", which to my mind is incorrect. If you agree that "native" in this context means "designed to support", then clearly ACLs are native to Linux in both the kernel config and the various filesystems it's designed to work with (see mount options used in your /etc/fstab file). But an important question is which type of ACL does Linux support?

Technically you may be correct. However, Standard Permissions (Owner, Group, and Others) have been with Linux going back into the Dark Ages of computing. Extended permissions (or ACL's) where adapted to the Linux kernel well after Standard Linux permissions were originally implemented. Adding support to the Linux kernel or installing a kernel module, in my mind, does not make a feature "native" to Linux. Why? Just because the kernel supports a feature, or it's adapted with an add-on driver or module, does not mean the feature is "native" to the vast swath of packages in the Linux Userland.

Linux -> NTFS support is a great example. While the kernel has been adapted to NTFS, that doesn't mean the vast majority of Debian Userland packages will recognize NTFS file and folder permissions. Since new users like the idea of formatting an external drive to NTFS at a Windows Wks and shuttling it between an OMV server and Windows; telling them NTFS permissions are "native" to Linux is not productive. (This forum is littered with OMV/NTFS issues.)

It the broadest sense of the term "native", NTFS is not native to Linux. OMV will recognize an NTFS drive but the full extent of NTFS permissions are not configurable in the GUI. Hence, OMV is not fully compatible with NTFS.

Any kernel feature that requires a userland add-on ( apt-get install acl ) is, arguably, not native. ACL's are an add-on that's very similar to NTFS' NTFS-3G driver and the Ntfsprogs add-on. The only real difference is that ACl's have been around longer. In the bottom line, there are many linux servers out there that don't have ACL's installed. Extended permissions (ACL's) are completely optional where Standard permissions are "integrated".

While experts can (and will) do what they want, OMV's GUI tends to attract beginners. With beginners in mind and in consideration of the server packages available that do not work seamlessly with ACL's, mixing Standard and Extended permissions is a bad idea.

raulfg3 A whole extra plugin and webgui clutter when you could use "setfacl -b" or "seftacl -b -R" at the CLI?

Again, experts can do what they want. They might consider an Arch Linux server using the CLI only. They don't need a GUI.

Beginners, on the other hand, are another matter. Encouraging them to experiment with ACL's, on the CLI, without knowing what they're doing, is a recipe for a complete system rebuild. Conversely, staying within the capabilities of the GUI keeps potential damage to a minimum while keeping paths to recovery open.

• Borbio In #15 above you said you "removed all ACL permissions from my shared folders." I'm wondering how you did that. In my brief, but not current, use of OMV6, the "shared folder ACL" webui does not have a "strip ACL" function. The only way I know of doing this is at the CLI.

Yeah, I puzzled over this, but just went through every share and every group and turned off the permissions. Didn't know about the 'resetpermission' plugin that raulfg3 mentioned. It would be cool if that were part of the standard OMV UI.

I haven't had a chance yet to go through all of the troubleshooting steps mentioned by crashtest, so I have to try that first.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It would be cool if that were part of the standard OMV UI.

Not everything can be part of core OMV. That is whole idea behind plugins. Plugins ideally distribute the development load as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• It's not up to date yet (the screen shots are for OMV5) but the permissions concepts, in the permissions doc, are the same for OMV6 and the screen presentation is not hugely different.

I think you'll find what you want -> here. This link leads to a section of the permissions doc where SMB access using IP's is explained. Note that if an IP address is specified, the user of the IP specified workstation will still be required to have access at the shared folder level. It becomes an "AND" operation. Access will require an allowed IP address AND a user within an authorized group.

Note that if an address is inserted into the "Allow" field, all workstation IP's that are allowed for that share must be added to the field. (And, as noted in the doc, using DHCP can be problematic.)

Again, while the screen shots are out of date, the concepts are the same. -> Take a look at the Permissions Doc.

Thanks for the linked document etc - much appreciated.

Craig

• There's a few things you can try, testing access as you go with each of the following:
    - In Shared Folder permissions, with file/folder permissions set properly (the group users should be Read/Write/Execute), use the "Replace all existing permissions" with "Recursive" checked.

Not finding that. Do you mean Storage > Shared Folders > ACL ? I thought(?) you suggested that I shouldn't use ACL settings. Anyway, I tried this:

...but it had no effect.

- In the Samba share, in extra options, use the statement: write list=@users
    (The above assumes that you created users in the GUI that are added, by default, to the group named "users".)

Not sure what you mean here either. There's a group called users, and the user with which I'm connecting to OMV belongs to it, but I thought(?) users was created by Debian when I set up the server. If browse Users > Users, I see a list of users, including mine, that belong to the group users. However, under Users > Groups, I don't see users on the list. Again, I thought Debian set it up?

BTW, and maybe this is important, when I tried to add write list=@users as an extra option to SMB, I get some incomprehensible error when I apply the changes:

- You could try turning off whatever your Mac uses as a firewall, just as test. (I'm assuming that OMV's firewall is still at default install settings.)

No firewall. I'm on a LAN. The firewall is on the router, and I'm not going through that. The connection between client and OMV is on the same subnet.

- You could try setting the Shared Folder to "Others" Read/Write/Execute AND the Group users to Read/Write/Execute. Set the SMB share to "Guests Allowed". Then see what happens. (This is wide open permissions for all clients on the local LAN.)

Sorry, I don't follow what you are suggesting here. I guess I need screenshots or more precise instructions that work for OMV 6.x.

- Finally (I've only seen this once) you can set "Privileges" for the user affected to Read/Write. (Under Storage, Shared Folders, Privileges.) This shouldn't be necessary but you mentioned the "x" (execute) flag, so this may have something to do with a program on the Mac.

That's how it's already set.

- If you're using chmod on the CLI, assuming "users" is the group, chmod g+x might be better or even chmod o+x. (To prevent odd scenarios, I'd recommend avoiding the CLI and sticking with permission changes in the GUI.)

Sorry, again, I don't follow what you're suggesting. From the CLI, I was using chmod on a directory, not a user or group.

Finally, I have no idea what the format is for the data drive in use and what, exactly, formatted it. I'm assuming EXT4 or another native format to Linux AND that the drive was formatted by OMV. If the drive was formatted by Windows (NTFS) or a Mac (HFS), that's not a good idea. There's no one to one permissions mapping between these drive formats and Linux formats. (Yes, this happens a lot.)

If the data disk was created by another Linux workstation it's a foreign volume. To straighten out permissions on a foreign volume or other persistent permissions issues, there's a plugin called openmediavault-resetperms that can force a reset of shared folder permissions. If you use it, I'd recommend going with "Everyone" Read/Write and check the box for Clear ACL's. You can tighten permissions up when the problem is cleared.

Finally, (assuming the data disk was formatted by OMV) create a new share exactly as described -> here. No variations other than whatever you decide to name the share. See how the Mac deals with it.

All the volumes are Ext4. I believe they were set up by OMV. If not, it was done from the CLI on the same server (running Debian). The drives didn't come from elsewhere.

• crashtest Linux has evolved over time and an argument about what is or is not “native” to Linux based on longevity is surely bogus. Just as bogus is an argument based around implementations with both kernel and userland elements are somehow not “native”. No one would claim the NFTS filesystem is “native” to Linux, but where does your argument leave btrfs, yet another linux filesystem that supports ACL that has a relatively short history in Linux?

But all this misses the point, I contend that saying "Extended Permissions are not native to Linux" could easily give the impressions the ACL should be avoid because it’s something grafted onto Linux. Whereas the emphasis ought to be on why users should to think twice before making use of ACL in OMV6 from a practical point of view. For example:

1. Do you really need to use ACL in the first case, when a judicious use directories and user groups may provided the segregation of data and access levels appropriate to your needs.

2. If you insist on using ACL, be sure to understand the complexity involved. See for example:

https://doc.opensuse.org/docum…ty/cha.security.acls.html

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/linux-access-control-lists

3. Understand that Linux and hence OMV6 only supports POSIX.1e type ACL while other OS support NTFSv4 type ACL or Windows ACL . This mismatch is only partially resolved when data is shared via SAMBA between OMV6 and both Windows and MAC OS.

4. See SAMBA docs re: ……….

I asked Borbio how they removed their ACL not because I was encouraging anyone to use the CLI, but wondered if they knew about the “restperms” plugin, which they clearly didn’t.

Which brings me to my next point which is relevant to what I’d said to ryecoaaron . The OMV6 share folder ACL webui page is not a full ACL editor. You can add folder ACLs to individual users and/or gorups but not remove them. Additionally, for someone using OMV6 who creates a shared folder and then wanted to just change the standard perms, they’d probably use the ACL page to do it, especially if they didn’t know about “restperms” plugin. Guess what happens in the background?

Yes, an default ACL is created on the shared folder. It may be harmless, but it’s there none the less. This behaviour becomes obvious to anyone using zfs when they starting getting “500 internal server error”. So it’s quite likely that there are numerous OMV6 installs with ACL on folders that people are simply unaware of. As Borbio said the “restperms” plugin needs to be on every install unless and until the functionality behind the shared folder ACL webui page is revisited.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ACLs are a bandaid to get Windows style permissions to work on Linux. They do not match native unix permissions and therefore will never be native in my opinion. But this is just a pissing match and not going anywhere. If the ACL editor needs additional features, then file an issue or a

merge request.

And while I have used resetperms, it has never been to clear up ACL garbage. I have never been forced to use it. I don't "need" it although it is helpful.

Additionally, for someone using OMV6 who creates a shared folder and then wanted to just change the standard perms, they’d probably use the ACL page to do it,

Why? Someone will use "Access Control Lists" before "Privileges"? That is a serious question. I really want to know what the average user would use and why.

• ryecoaaron It's not a case of someone using "Access Control Lists" before "Privileges". Someone creates a shared folder and chooses "The file mode of the shared folder path.". Later, they want to change the file mode and go to edit the shared folder. There is no option to change the file mode under "edit". Where do they go next? To "Access Control Lists" maybe, because that's where it seems you can change the shared folders Owner, group and other settings. Surely it wouldn't be to "Privileges" where it

says "These settings are used by the services to configure the user and group access rights. Please note that these settings have no effect on file system permissions."

Of course you haven't been forced to use the reset plugin to clear ACLs. Why would you when you've said you don't use ACL and in any case as a competent IT pro are perfectly happy at the CLI. But what does the average joe do who has neither your skill or knowledge?

I'm perfectly in tune with the idea that users should be steered away from the use of ACL . I don't use them nor need them myself. But rather than simply say "don't use them, they are a nightmare", would it be useful to have somewhere a clear statement as to the pitfalls?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Linux has evolved over time and an argument about what is or is not “native” to Linux based on longevity is surely bogus. Just as bogus is an argument based around implementations with both kernel and userland elements are somehow not “native”. No one would claim the NFTS filesystem is “native” to Linux, but where does your argument leave btrfs, yet another linux filesystem that supports ACL that has a relatively short history in Linux?

ACL values are stored in a file or folder's "extra attributes". That should tell you something right there (add-on). And yes, when it comes to file systems, BTRFS is a new add-on just as ZFS on Linux is an older add-on. Arguably, either of these file systems should NOT be used by a beginner without an understanding of what they are. On the other side of the filesystem coin EXT2, 3, and 4 are native. That's simply my opinion.

But, in the bottom line, ryecoaaron is right. If you think there are better ways to deal with ACL's, write some code and (maybe) get your approach integrated into OMV's ACL page.

Similarly, if you don't like the language I use when trying to guide new users in the permissions doc ("native" versus "add-on", etc.) feel free to write a doc of your own. (Making that statement seems strangely familiar.) I'm of the opinion that's not going to happen because it's easy to write a few critical posts, that takes 5 minutes or so, within a support thread. It's another thing altogether to create and support something that's usable by a broad cross section of users. (With emphasis on supporting new or inexperienced users.)

I'm perfectly in tune with the idea that users should be steered away from the use of ACL . I don't use them nor need them myself. But rather than simply say "don't use them, they are a nightmare", would it be useful to have somewhere a clear statement as to the pitfalls?

Obviously, you haven't actually read the -> permissions doc that was linked in this thread. It's getting to the point where writing these doc's seems to be pointless; especially when experienced users jump into a thread like this one just to express their opinion (highjacked while helping users with actual problems). Again, this kind of chase down a rabbit hole is strangely familiar. One thing is certain - it's not productive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not finding that. Do you mean Storage > Shared Folders > ACL ? I thought(?) you suggested that I shouldn't use ACL settings.

You're in the right place. Unfortunately, the GUI presentation has Standard and Extended permissions (ACL's) in the same place under the ACL's tab. (The permissions doc explains this but OMV6's GUI's presentation is different enough to where confusion is possible.)

In the same window, at the top, you'll see user names with boxes to the right labeled Read/Write, Read-Only, and No access. These are ACL's. There shouldn't be any boxes highlighted there. If any of the boxes next to usernames are highlighted, clear them and resave with the recursive option checked.

Toward the bottom, you'll see Owner, Group, and Others. These are Standard Linux permissions.
    For the purposes of the first test, from what I saw in your screen shot, you had them right and the recursive box appeared to be checked when saved.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Not sure what you mean here either. (1) There's a group called users, and the user with which I'm connecting to OMV belongs to it, but I thought(?) (2) users was created by Debian when I set up the server. (3) If browse Users > Users, I see a list of users, including mine, that belong to the group users. (4) However, under Users > Groups, I don't see users on the list. Again, I thought Debian set it up?

(1) That's what you want. It's default behavior. The group "users" exists as part of OMV's build and every user created in the GUI is added to the group "users" by default.
    (2) I don't know if the group users is created by Debian or the OMV build. However it's a default group on the finished product.
    (3) Under Users, Users, you should see all users you created. (System users shouldn't be in the list - at least they're not in my build.)
    (4) I believe the group users is not listed in the groups window because it's a given - a default. On the CLI, using less /etc/group users will be there with all members.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

when I tried to add write list=@users as an extra option to SMB, I get some incomprehensible error when I apply the changes:

I don't know why you got the error. However, write list = @users is added as shown below in edit mode.

The write list option shouldn't be required if the SMB share is not set to Read Only. But since you're experiencing something odd, it's worth a try.

I haven't seen the error you referenced before. If it persists, when you attempt to save a change, you might consider deleting the SMB share and recreating it.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat von Crashtest

- You could try setting the Shared Folder to "Others" Read/Write/Execute AND the Group users to Read/Write/Execute. Set the SMB share to "Guests Allowed". Then see what happens. (This is wide open permissions for all clients on the local LAN.)

Sorry, I don't follow what you are suggesting here. I guess I need screenshots or more precise instructions that work for OMV 6.x.

As follows :

Shared Folder (Set all to Read/Write/Execute and save with the recursive option.)

SMB Share

For this share, permissions are now wide open to any user on the LAN.

Sorry, again, I don't follow what you're suggesting. From the CLI, I was using chmod on a directory, not a user or group.

You said:
    "I tried chmod u+x MyFolder on the OMV server, and after that I can copy the file."

That command allows "user" to "execute" a file. I don't know "why" this would affect a simple copy, but there are other possible command options that might work better.

The options for chmod "?"+x are:

u
    = user

g = group.

o = others.

a = all

The last might be best option which sets all to execute; chmod a+x MyFolder
    This would be the equivalent of giving Owner, Group and Others "execute", in the GUI. Again, I don't know why "execute" would work, even temporarily, for a file copy. Read/Write should do it.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about this.

(1) No firewall. I'm on a LAN. (2) The firewall is on the router, and I'm not going through that. (3) The connection between client and OMV is on the same subnet.

(1) Mac's have a -> firewall. You need to look at how you're configured. If it's possible, set the firewall to "OFF" as a test. Otherwise, again as a test, note your current setting(s) and make the firewall very permissive.
    (2) That is not necessarily true. If you're using DHCP, your router is also acting as a local DNS which makes it possible for the router to filter LAN traffic.
    Another possibility is if there's a wireless connection between the client and server. For security purposes, some consumer routers may handle wifi traffic differently, when compared to wired connections.
    (3) Even on the same sub-net, the only way to be sure the router is not involved is to statically address the client and server. (Rarely do app's use layer 2 - datalink - connetions.)

With the above noted, I don't think your router is responsible for your issue. On the other hand, it can't be ruled out. There are numerous consumer router OEM's; with some that go to great (crazy?) lengths to improve security.

Let us know how it goes.

• While I appreciate learning more about ACLs from this discussion, I am sympathetic to the last point crashtest made, i.e., that this is perhaps a deeper philosophical issue that deserves its own thread.

I haven't tried the Reset Permissions plugin yet, but from what ryecoaaron says above, it sounds like I might(?) need to do something further to clear up any stray ACLs that might be causing access violations. What should I try for that? Again, I'm on Debian 11.4.

Also, as mentioned above, I'm getting a strange error when I try to apply changes in SMB. Any tips on how I might resolve that?

EDIT: Sorry, I see our posts crossed. Thanks for these suggestions. I will try them and report back.

• Okay, I have tried a couple of things that you've kindly suggested, but there is no change. Idk where the "Guests allowed" setting is so I didn't enable that.

In any case, the message "Pending configuration changes. You must apply these changes in order for them to take effect" always appears at the top of the window, and every time I try to apply them I get the "failed to execute command export ..." error mentioned before. It looks to me like there is some kind of auto-generated script to execute omv-salt deploy run, etc., but the script is malformed.

I have no idea if any of the changes I'm attempting are happening. Shouldn't this script error be resolved first?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the output of: cat /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

• crashtest I do object to being accused of thread hijacking. Nothing I’ve said is outside the title of this thread and I have studiously avoided interfering with your efforts to solve @ problems.

I would hardly comment on a document I hadn’t read, which is more than once in this case. But let me ask you a couple of questions. Do you think it would be useful to refer to the “reset permissions” plugin in your section on “ACL – Extended Permissions” as SubZero did in their OP in this thread? Do your think explicit reference should be made to the “PRIVILEGES” settings in OMV6 in your document, as SubZero did in this thread’s OP?

Additionally, do you think these two post by SubZero are still correct, relevant and worth referring OMV6 users to?

You are right absolutely about one thing, I have no intention of writing documentation for OMV6. Few would volunteer for the task and at 70 years of age I have neither the energy nor inclination. So you are free to ignore any and everything I’ve said in this thread and waste no time on my utterances. But then, you just might reflect that a revision of your “permissions document” with the odd tweak here and there could better serve your audience.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!