Transmission downloaded files cannot be seen/accesed

• Hello

New to OMV here , just bought a HP Z400 server , set up OMV 5 with Plex, Nextcloud , Transmission.
    Everything working nicely , except one thing:

Installed transmission through portainer , all went ok.
    Tranmission GUI working, dowloaded 3 movies.

BUT , when I want to open/see movies , NOTHING THERE
    Default folder for downloads is /dowloads.
    I can see folder on my network (given access sambashare ... etc)

See Attached photos .

Even downloaded one movie trying to change the folder to be downloaded --- still nothing ...

Can anyone help?forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/14364/forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/14364/

• Ok , sorted out minutes after posting ... :):)

Just reviewing my post , seen that I misspelled the name of my Hard Disk .... Instead of 4TbDATA saved 4RbData ....

So , stopped container , edit , correct name of HDD , started transmission , all working fine !!
    Couldnt figure this out without posting here , :):):)

• Makes me wonder where the files did get downloaded to - inside the container itself perhaps? Check the size of it on disk, restart it and check the size again. If the files did go there and they are not stored persistently they should vanish with a container restart.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Makes me wonder where the files did get downloaded to - inside the container itself perhaps? Check the size of it on disk, restart it and check the size again. If the files did go there and they are not stored persistently they should vanish with a container restart.

I've done it a few times on accident on my virtual machine. If he goes to /srv
    and does an ls, he'll find there's a directory created with the /dev-id-4RbData/whatever. Depending on how much he downloaded and how small is OS drive is, he'll want to delete that directory at the command line level, because it's probably on his OS drive

• I've done it a few times on accident on my virtual machine. If he goes to /srvand does an ls, he'll find there's a directory created with the /dev-id-4RbData/whatever. Depending on how much he downloaded and how small is OS drive is, he'll want to delete that directory at the command line level, because it's probably on his OS drive

That was true .. did check it out... thanks for your reply.
    I've deleted that folder now with PUTTY ("rm -rf dirname" .... this way I am learning Linux too :) )

BTW my OS drive is an 120 Gb SSD , but still , without your post some 6 Gb of files would have hanged around on it :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

That was true .. did check it out... thanks for your reply.I've deleted that folder now with PUTTY ("rm -rf dirname" .... this way I am learning Linux too :) )

BTW my OS drive is an 120 Gb SSD , but still , without your post some 6 Gb of files would have hanged around on it :)

Obviously a 120gigs, you're not gonna miss 6gigs (especially when the OS takes up barely 3 in most places)... but when you're talking about some of the folks who are using 16gig flash drives, or some that are pushing it with 8gig.. they would notice.

It's an easy mistake to make. Usually what has happened to me on my virtual machines.. When I'm testing docker compose files I've written for my actual server.. and when I test them on my virtual machine, I forget to adjust the volume paths in my compose file for my virtual machine... since that volume doesn't exist on my virtual machine, my docker compose file creates it... and I end up in a similar situation to you before I catch it.

• I run OMV on a 16GB SSD. It's currently taking up 8.1GB.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, it's got a ton of stuff on it too. Probably a lot of unneeded cruft as well. It started out as an OMV 2.x machine and has been upgraded to 3, 4, and now OMV v5

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it's got a ton of stuff on it too. Probably a lot of unneeded cruft as well. It started out as an OMV 2.x machine and has been upgraded to 3, 4, and now OMV v5

Yeah I imagine through all that, there's probably lot of stuff laying around.

I've always liked clean installs.. :)

• I've always liked clean installs.. :)

It would be too much work for me to do what it would take to get all the extra stuff put back on.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

In theory I can make 2 partitions on it , and use the rest of it , but as far as I know not a good idea to use OS disk for other than OS.

Many do. Me too.
    I think it is more separate filesystems for OS and data than separate disks.

• A little bit off topic guys , but can you advise me about what/how to install a VPN through Portainer ?
    It is what is missing for the moment on My OMV server ... and some users ( :D:|:| ) suggested me I should get one ....

• A little bit off topic guys , but can you advise me about what/how to install a VPN through Portainer ?
    It is what is missing for the moment on My OMV server ... and some users ( :D:|:| ) suggested me I should get one ....

Look in the Guides section of the Forum.

Please start a new thread next time.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

A little bit off topic guys , but can you advise me about what/how to install a VPN through Portainer ?

It's a pretty good idea if you're downloading movies, etc.

You can either install an ovpn docker, set up your vpn service, and then route your download programs through it... or select your VPN (I've had PIA for years) and just find a container that combines VPN and a torrent program (assuming you only need it for torrents)... I prefer deluge, but have used both and neither are incredibly difficult to set up, just read their pages thoroughly.

https://github.com/haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn

https://hub.docker.com/r/binhex/arch-delugevpn/

• Hi from a newbie in this great forum! May I use this old topic for similar question...

I used OMV with Transmission in Docker / Portainer without any issues. After a memory upgrade / reboot I downloaded some .iso files (total 20GB) and didnt notice that they do not appear in the proper download location... :(

The result is that I lost 20GB of space on my OS disk and the OS became big enough to not be able to backup. It was 2-3Gigs before that.

It was 3 weeks ago, so I cant recall exactly if I did something else which can cause the issue.

As proposed above in /srv there is only one "dev-disk-by-id..." but I think that this is my Media HDD, should not delete this, right? :)

I have tried with "du - h -d1" in OMV shell and in Portainer shell to find the culprit for the lost Gigs, with no success. They're just gone.

If it is important - I am running OMV in VE in Proxmox VE, the Media HDD is mounted in OMV only, and I have some unclear memories that I needed to re-mount after the reboot in question.

Please for your help! And Thanks! :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!