SMB/CIFS share name

• My NAS is appropriately named "NAS", and when I have the SMB/CIFS enabled, the share name that I see on my Mac is "NAS - SMB/CIFS". For some reason this bugs me, and I would like it to just be "NAS". Second, one of the shares is a time machine backup location. I used to be able to use share quotas, but apparently that went away/was moved, and likewise I can't figure it out (I did come across a tutorial, but I'm running ZFS and could not enable quotas under File System). I didn't see it was possible to enable user quotas either.

1. For 4.x you were able to rename the SMB service name fairly easy with the desired effect. Is there an equivalent of doing that under 5.x?
    2. Any way of enabling quotas on ZFS.

Thanks in advance.

• I’m not really trying to rename the shared folder, just rename the main SMB service name, it so when I go browse the network the main link is “NAS” vs “NAS - SMB/CIFS”.

I would be ok if it was “NAS - Media”, “NAS - Files”. But it literally says “NAS - SMB/CIFS”.

• As far as the quota, I had everything stored on the main pool. I just had to create some Filesystems/Volumes and rework the mount points/mv the files to the new locations. Frankly it ended up being cleaner, but I literally had to change everything, including Portainer paths.

Then each filesystem/volume can be individually configured for quotas.

• But it literally says “NAS - SMB/CIFS”

That's how my servers show up on my Mac. :whistling:

RAID is NOT a backup and not useful for most home users. Rsync makes true backup and restoration stupid easy, and it's built right in to OMV. Use this command in a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofSOURCEdisk/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofDESTINATIONdisk/

Hardware: OMV 5 (current) - NanoPi M4: Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180: backup - Odroid XU4: Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Odroid HC2, Raspberry Pi 3B+, and HP dx2400: testing.

• Frankly it ended up being cleaner, but I literally had to change everything, including Portainer paths.

Do you have Docker containers on the ZFS file system? As I remember there where issues with that and therefore it is recommended to store it on a drive with a different file system. ZFS settings

OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
    ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

• You can rename the Zeroconf/mDNS name in the network configuration tabs.

I didn't see this option in OMV 5.3.2-1 unfortunately.

I used to change the ZeroConf Name in OMV4, but struggled to find the setting in the Web GUI in OMV5.

As far as the quota, I had everything stored on the main pool. I just had to create some Filesystems/Volumes and rework the mount points/mv the files to the new locations. Frankly it ended up being cleaner, but I literally had to change everything, including Portainer paths.

Then each filesystem/volume can be individually configured for quotas.

I did it manually by changing a line in /etc/avahi/services/smb.services and then reboot

Hope that helps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!