1st try goes wrong

• Hello there from Germany...

... I'm the new one and try to steel your nerves from now ;o)

Ok, seriously...

Today I gave OMV the 1st try. I use an SuperMicro Mainboard X10SLL-F with 64gb ECC and two LSI MPT SAS2 controller to hold 12 Bays (only 6 are in use right now).

As system drive I use a cheap 128gb SSD SATA.

I have download the last version, create an USB- Stick and install the system without any errors or other things that pay attention. Also the 6 SAS-drives show up where to pick up the right system drive. Then at end the reboot comes up, I pull the USB and the system boot right up from the SSD.

But then...

.. pls take a look at the picture (to read 2, 1, 3)... That's realy all...

PS: Excuse my ugly english pls ...

• .. maybe a misunderstanding due my bad english skill ...

The SAS are only for the 6 DATA- drives. The SAS-BIOS is disabled so it just run as SAS/SATA- Host.

The SYSTEM SSD-drive is independent from the SAS and direct connected to the SATA0 of the Mainboard. That also works like a charm. Installation and booting from the SSD works well and also while installing the 6 SAS-drives are show up in the "where you like to install the system" dialog. From this view the OS see and can touch the drives...

Just coming up in my mind: Does it matter which file system exists on the DATA drives? All 6 drives are formated as ZFS2? I can not imagine, but you have already seen horses throw up ...

Greetz

Micha

Translation from my Avatar: To err is human. But to build real shit you need a computer

• .. nothing? Nobody? Hmmm... Ok.. Was just a try so I will stay at XigmaNAS... That work's well with my hardware ...

TC & SH

Micha

Greetz

Micha

Translation from my Avatar: To err is human. But to build real shit you need a computer

• ZFS is not supported Out-Of-The-Box by OMV. It is necessary to install omv extras and then the ZFS plugin. And then you can try to import your ZFS pool.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• ... that wasn't the question ... If I can't get OMV running at my hardware I don't need to think about further steps ...

Greetz

Micha

• Ok... late but now ...

I just install Buster 10.4 as NetInst. No problems. All drives, also the six ones connected via SAS, are there and useable in Buster. So the problem isn't the SAS at all and must be inside OMV (kernel, driver, ...) ...

@macom : This I will try next if you can tell me how I can access the console at the point the install like to reboot.

Not possible.. I now know about ALT-STRG-Fx to change the console window but this command is unknown also things like apt, apt-get a.s.o.

Greetz

Micha

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von M*I*B ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

So the problem isn't the SAS at all and must be inside OMV (kernel, driver, ...) ...

omv doesn't provide kernels or drivers. There is clearly a misunderstanding on how omv works under.

The iso installer is there, but from what i've seen in this forum it causes more problems than benefits is also not flexible at all when partitioning or selecting drives.

After you install buster you can install omv on top via the install script in omv-extras. This is my personal choice always.

• .. I previously thought that the OMV image was based on a Debian image and was only modified in such a way that unnecessary ballast was removed and OMV was added; so I would have done it as unsuspecting to be able to use the latest drivers and other things from the Debian distribution. It was not clear to me that it obviously works differently and is done differently here.

So ... feed the fish ...

What should I take? The current Buster incl. Graphical user interface (the machine is strong enough for this) as a minimal installation?

And then? Where can I find the OMV extra? On the image?

Greetz

Micha

• Zitat

Please do not install a graphical environment, use a minimal server installation only.

Yes, that I have read that, but there is nowhere an explanation why not?!

Greetz

Micha

• Ok, got it...

Then I will give it a try again... We will see what's happend in an hour or so...

Greetz

Micha

• ... done ...

Right on the way creating the RAID6. That will take a lot of time X/ UPS is coupled also and all the other stuff I have found...

Now waiting is shoutet out... Goes on in the evening if nothing goes wrong ...

Update 1:

:?::?::?:

Greetz

Micha

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von M*I*B ()

• You have an file "openmediafault.list", this can't be right. It's openmediavault with a "v" not with an "f".

Think you can delete the file with an "f"

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.5-1 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• :/ ... :saint: :D you are right... Typo... Have delete it...

Then just many ignores comes up like ...

Code
    Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-en
    Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-en
    Get:3 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Packages
    Get:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-de_DE
    Ign:4 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-de_DE
    Get:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-de
    Ign:5 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-de
    Get:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-en
    Ign:6 file:/var/cache/openmediavault/archives  Translation-en

... that's ok?

Greetz

Micha

• That's an apt update? Then it looks okay I think (I've got something similar on my system).

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.0.5-1 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Frepke ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!