OMV5 DNS change

• It seems from another another thread and testing on my VM that if OMV uses DHCP and the DNS is changed/added to the DHCP setting in Network -> Interfaces the change does not take effect in /etc/resolv.conf and OMV continues to DNS issued by the DHCP server.

• the change does not take effect in /etc/resolv.conf and OMV continues to DNS issued by the DHCP server.

Depends on what is in /etc/resolv.conf. If it is 127.0.0.53, then it is using systemd-resolved (local dns caching) which should be using the dns server you set.

omv 5.5.17-3 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• my resolv.conf points to the DNS issued by my router, which in my case is my Pi-Hole IP, this is on my VM which shouldn't make any difference.

I don't know what it is set to versus what it should be set to. Also, what is the output of: ls -al /etc/resolv.conf

• Code
    ls -al /etc/resolv.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48 Aug 18 15:21 /etc/resolv.conf
    Code
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    domain home
    search home
    nameserver 192.168.1.43

When I first up the VM I go down each item and make relevant changes or ensure that options are set accordingly, then do updates, so I entered 1.1.1.1 to the DNS entry of the DHCP address under Network -> Interfaces, then save and apply, except the DNS entry does not take effect if the resolv.conf is correct.

• It isn't changing because /etc/resolv.conf is not a symlink to /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf

Fix it with:

sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf && sudo ln -s /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/

• Not sure. Was the system upgraded?

No clean install, as it's working and there is another thread where the resolv.conf was pointing to their router. TBH I was expecting the DNS to change after adding a public in Network -> Interfaces, but this might be useful in the other thread.

• Interesting. Just checked on my system. I had upgraded from OMV 4 to 5. /etc/resolv.conf was not symlinked. There is no resolve directory within /run/systemd. I ran the omv-salt command, but no change. /etc/resolv.conf just contains my (standard) nameserver entry directly.

• Interesting. Just checked on my system. I had upgraded from OMV 4 to 5. /etc/resolv.conf was not symlinked.

Have you installed all available OMV updates yet?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• gderf Yes, all updates have been installed.

votdev I'm not exactly sure how to check that, but got the following:

Code
    root@MyRS:/etc/systemd# systemctl is-active network
    inactive
    root@MyRS:/etc/systemd# systemctl is-active resolvd
    inactive

I do experience regular connection issues across docker containers since some time though. They coincide with the following syslog entries.

Code
    Sep 11 00:09:39 MyRS rsyncd[1963]: forward name lookup for unifi.local failed: Name or service not known
    Sep 11 00:09:39 MyRS rsyncd[1963]: connect from UNKNOWN (192.168.1.1)
    Sep 11 00:09:44 MyRS smbd[1966]: [2020/09/11 00:09:44.986037, 0] ../source3/smbd/process.c:335(read_packet_remainder)
    Sep 11 00:09:44 MyRS smbd[1966]: read_fd_with_timeout failed for client 192.168.1.1 read error = NT_STATUS_END_OF_FILE.

Might not be related though and I don't want to hijack the thread...

• I believed I've figured out the rsyncd / smbd problem. Permissions for the rsync target were not set correctly. Not related. The first part of the question remains though. Any advice appreciated...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!