Portainer Alternative

• I'm still learning docker but I find portainer easy to get around.

Granted there are still some things I am learning/finding along the way.

Managing macvlans is way easier in portainer than using the docker commands. I'm not averse to ssh/command line but sometimes gui really is more efficient. I was able to create, test, delete and recreate macvlans all from portainer.

The only thing I would like to see in portainer is all the possible labels in their respective areas instead of adding one and then figuring out what label belongs where.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Has anyone looked at or installed Yacht this is an alternative to Portainer, this is new and very much a work in progress but is supposed to be more intuitive, there is a video on YouTube

One of the devs contacted me about adding it to omv-extras. Sent some suggestions on things to add that OMV users ask for. So maybe people can add suggestions to this thread so SelfhostedPro can see them.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't tried Yacht yet, but one of first things I'd be looking at would be easy MacVlan configuration.

Being able to assign a separate IP address to a container is a desirable feature but it seems that configuring a MacVlan interface is an exacting exercise, with pitfalls, where the config doesn't work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't tried Yacht yet, but one of first things I'd be looking at would be easy MacVlan configuration.

Being able to assign a separate IP address to a container is a desirable feature but it seems that configuring a MacVlan interface is an exacting exercise, with pitfalls, where the config doesn't work.

That was one of my suggestions

1. Will it or can it handle docker-compose files? They are very popular with the OMV crowd and people don't always get the compose/stacks stuff. I might not have watched the video long enough if I missed it (sorry, working)
    2. Is there an easy way to update a container? If the restart option had another option to restart and pull new, people here would love that.
    3. Can the ports be auto-populated from the image with button click or something fast?
    4. Can the volumes be auto-populated from the image with a button click or something fast?
    5. Lots of people are using macvlan and it is confusing for many. Not sure how to make that faster but just a note.
    6. Might have missed this too but can people edit the settings of a running container and have it restart after changing the settings? Haven't needed that myself but the plugin could do it and people miss it in portainer.

Most are already being worked. macvlan is on the radar now.

• I haven't tried Yacht yet, but one of first things I'd be looking at would be easy MacVlan configuration.

I found macvlan configuration to be somewhat confusing at first. Especially when portainer was complaining about the gateway already being used.

I now have a macvlan that is used by my containers and corresponds to my LAN.

That was one of my suggestions

1. Will it or can it handle docker-compose files? They are very popular with the OMV crowd and people don't always get the compose/stacks stuff. I might not have watched the video long enough if I missed it (sorry, working)
    2. Is there an easy way to update a container? If the restart option had another option to restart and pull new, people here would love that.
    3. Can the ports be auto-populated from the image with button click or something fast?
    4. Can the volumes be auto-populated from the image with a button click or something fast?
    5. Lots of people are using macvlan and it is confusing for many. Not sure how to make that faster but just a note.
    6. Might have missed this too but can people edit the settings of a running container and have it restart after changing the settings? Haven't needed that myself but the plugin could do it and people miss it in portainer.

Most are already being worked. macvlan is on the radar now.

1. Compose files are awesome. I found that deploying pihole, adguard and an apache test container were easier/faster with the compose files versus creating the container itself manually.

2 & 6. In portainer, I found the duplicate/edit button for the containers. I stop the container, make the changes, then click deploy container again. It gives a notice that another container with the same name exists and that portainer will replace it. I select ok. Portainer does warn that the new container may not start if the new settings are incompatible. So far I have edited containers many times with this method.

3. The ports section of portainer is a bit confusing. So a new intuitive method/process/interface would be a nice welcome.

4. I haven't tested creating volumes after the container is created. But definitely more dynamic container creation and maintenance would be a great feature from my short experience.

5. Macvlan for me proved easy to pickup though admittedly with some understanding of how portainer labels the fields and what is expected. I wish the IPAM DHCP driver was available already vs being something the user has to add themselves.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I found macvlan configuration to be somewhat confusing at first. Especially when portainer was complaining about the gateway already being used.

I now have a macvlan that is used by my containers and corresponds to my LAN.

I'm thinking more along the lines of how to describe a MacVlan interface to new users, how to configure it, and what it takes to write an easy to understand "walk-through" for configuring Docker containers. While it has a lot of options and is easier to use than the command line, Portainer doesn't lend itself to those tasks.

Here's to hoping that Yacht will make things easier for all concerned.

• I'm using Traefik. Is it possible to add labels in Yacht?

Yes, this was added in the latest release.

Great suggestions everyone! Once I get updates, editing, and docker-compose support working I'll be working on adding networking settings/management (as well as volumes and images). If there's anything else you can think of please be sure to mention it. If you want to go the extra mile you could also open up a feature request issue at the github repo. https://github.com/SelfhostedPro/Yacht

Author of Yacht

If you need help with it feel free to pm me here or on my discord.

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

• Offizieller Beitrag

One thing that no one has brought up which most users missed from the plugin, is the option to browse when setting bind mounts, setting the container option for config is straightforward just /config an option to 'browse' to the host share would help.

• Ill have to see if that's doable (since it's in a docker container). It may not be. There are template variables so you only need to set a path once and you can reuse it for every container you deploy.

Author of Yacht

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

• Offizieller Beitrag

The docker plugin on OMV4 did two things that new users found easy to use and understand;

macvlan

bind mounts inside -> outside

whilst portainer was the obvious next step, some users found the transition a big step, so stacks were the obvious option.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ill have to see if that's doable (since it's in a docker container). It may not be.

I think he was referring to being able to browse to the bind point "outside" of the container. Being able to navigate /browse to media storage (for example) on the host would be nice, versus being forced to type in (or paste) a letter perfect exact path.

It might not be a good idea to enable being able to change a default bind point on the inside of a container. That's more in the realm of the Docker developer.

• I have a simple request. In the variables section be able to set PUID and PGID.

When I set the variables as 1000 and 100 in the variables template section(under settings), the template for calibre-web set them as 1000 and 1000. No change.

• I would also add a link (of the docker project) to the docker image template of the image where it it shows installation or the wiki. New people will be very confused with installation.

I would also like to see more verbose error messages. I installed guacamole which errored, so I thought it didn't install, but it actually did. It seems to be running fine?

When I look in the logs in portainer, I can see the error. Anyway to have logs show up in yacht?

• I think he was referring to being able to browse to the bind point "outside" of the container. Being able to navigate /browse to media storage (for example) on the host would be nice, versus being forced to type in (or paste) a letter perfect exact path.

It might not be a good idea to enable being able to change a default bind point on the inside of a container. That's more in the realm of the Docker developer.

Yes but Yacht runs in a container so that would require mounting an additional volume to include your network shares as it's restricted to it's own filesystem and I would like to keep the launch command as simply as possible.

Author of Yacht

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

• I would also add a link (of the docker project) to the docker image template of the image where it it shows installation or the wiki. New people will be very confused with installation.

I would also like to see more verbose error messages. I installed guacamole which errored, so I thought it didn't install, but it actually did. It seems to be running fine?

When I look in the logs in portainer, I can see the error. Anyway to have logs show up in yacht?

More verbose errors are currently in the dev environment. Working on a few things and then they'll be pushed to master. I'll see about getting template variables to work with env variables as well as currently they're restricted to volumes. Will definitely work on getting these suggestions added.

Author of Yacht

DiscordDocker Hub Pulls

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!